Degree Class needed for jobs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Degree Class needed for jobs

Ok I know we have this type of thread before but, Lazy night told me that when she applied for a pre-reg in hospital they asked for a minimum of a 2:1.

Firstly, most people tell me no one cares what degree you get or where you graduated from as there's the shortage of pharmacist issue.

However, with both UEA and Greenwich graduating students this year, are we moving into a stage within the next 5 years where we will be unemployed (people here say there is no unemployment at the moment).

Are we moving into a future where competiveness is going to be rife and students will be needing a 1st or 2:1 in comparison to passing a degree?
    3rd yr pharmacy student - bath

Re: Degree Class needed for jobs

i heard it from arounds 9-12 locum pharmacists at work, as far as you PASS your exams, you are fine :P
    but putting some effort wont harm you mate
    [COLOR=Olive]xxxx They tried to break my back, but i survived. whatever doesn't kill you, will only makes you stronger xxxx
    [/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by Ray View Post
      i heard it from arounds 9-12 locum pharmacists at work, as far as you PASS your exams, you are fine :P
      but putting some effort wont harm you mate
      well I want to get a 1st or 2:1 and want to go into industry mate BUT the fact is that very few people get 1st's simply because unis don't give them out that much and 2:1 I doubt is given much either.

Comment

Originally posted by giggsy View Post
        Ok I know we have this type of thread before but, Lazy night told me that when she applied for a pre-reg in hospital they asked for a minimum of a 2:1.

Firstly, most people tell me no one cares what degree you get or where you graduated from as there's the shortage of pharmacist issue.

However, with both UEA and Greenwich graduating students this year, are we moving into a stage within the next 5 years where we will be unemployed (people here say there is no unemployment at the moment).

Are we moving into a future where competiveness is going to be rife and students will be needing a 1st or 2:1 in comparison to passing a degree?
        I think it will be a bit more complicated than that. Employers want look at you track record, how hard you work and that you get on with other people, your degree class is only part of that. Anyway we hope that young pharmacists wil break the mould and fill existing new roles and create even more new and exciting roles.

I think it is a pity they don't teach pharmacists basic business studies here. I know that if I can't work as a pharmacist, I would be capable of running a small shop or business, even though it would not be my first choice. With a pharmacist's skill in compounding there are opportunities in the cosmetic industry. There is always something if you are flexible and are prepared to work hard and learn.
        Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time.
        (T. Pratchett)

Comment

Originally posted by paul2008 View Post
          I think it will be a bit more complicated than that. Employers want look at you track record, how hard you work and that you get on with other people, your degree class is only part of that. Anyway we hope that young pharmacists wil break the mould and fill existing new roles and create even more new and exciting roles.

I think it is a pity they don't teach pharmacists basic business studies here. I know that if I can't work as a pharmacist, I would be capable of running a small shop or business, even though it would not be my first choice. With a pharmacist's skill in compounding there are opportunities in the cosmetic industry. There is always something if you are flexible and are prepared to work hard and learn.
          well I realise that experience is also important and how you perform at an interview which I feel I can do both (already worked for 2 community pharmacies, looking at hospital and industry placements in the future|) but aren't grades the key credential for pharmacy?

Comment

Hey Giggsy

I’m really sorry, I think I’ve scared you…….I didn’t mean to.

The hospital pre-reg offers asked me for a 2:2, but one community offer I had from Boots the Chemist asked for 2:1. I really can’t remember the exact details…as those contract letters are probably in a big paper pile somewhere……

I’m just telling you what I know from my third year. When I started applying for jobs after I qualified, no one asked me what degree I got…as they were more interested in my experience and skills.
            Lazy Lady...
            [IMG]http://www.polyvore.com/cgi/img-set?.out=jpg&id=VgnFNpwK3hGyUXFqqJvo3g&size=l[/IMG]

Comment

you need more than a 1st to get into industry! one of my mates, 1st class student went to a couple of industrial summer placement interviews, and did not get a placement. he is genius..... but he need more practical experience, which means a 1st alone won't help but its a requirement these days.

wanted to go into industry, managed to get 1st for my 1st and 2nd year ( 73 and 71.2)
              but the 3rd year kinda changed y expectations when i got n average of 62 for the 3rd year, which means it's gonna be extremly hard to get overall average >70 next year.
              anyways i am loving community work, and i believe uni courses are crap as they teach nothing about the managment of community pharmacies or the efficient running, which you get to learn through experience.............

anyways best of luck
              [COLOR=Olive]xxxx They tried to break my back, but i survived. whatever doesn't kill you, will only makes you stronger xxxx
              [/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by Lazy Nite View Post
                Hey Giggsy

I’m really sorry, I think I’ve scared you…….I didn’t mean to.

The hospital pre-reg offers asked me for a 2:2, but one community offer I had from Boots the Chemist asked for 2:1. I really can’t remember the exact details…as those contract letters are probably in a big paper pile somewhere……

I’m just telling you what I know from my third year. When I started applying for jobs after I qualified, no one asked me what degree I got…as they were more interested in my experience and skills.
                no no, you didn't, It would be good to get good marks obviously but for me this career was always a safety net for getting a job if things went bad.

Comment

you need more than a 1st to get into industry! one of my mates, 1st class student went to a couple of industrial summer placement interviews, and did not get a placement. he is genius..... but he need more practical experience, which means a 1st alone won't help but its a requirement these days.

wanted to go into industry, managed to get 1st for my 1st and 2nd year ( 73 and 71.2)
                  but the 3rd year kinda changed y expectations when i got n average of 62 for the 3rd year, which means it's gonna be extremly hard to get overall average >70 next year.
                  anyways i am loving community work, and i believe uni courses are crap as they teach nothing about the managment of community pharmacies or the efficient running, which you get to learn through experience.............

anyways best of luck
                  There is only about 20 pre reg places for industry right? very hard it seems.

Comment

This theme is coming up quite frequently on this forum... we actually had a "mythbusting" talk at Uni - to show that you don't necessarily need to have a first class degree, it who you are as person and a professional that also counts.

For e.g. one of my friends did not get a 1:1 or 2:1 but is doing a placement in industry this month before doing her pre-reg just from the amount of experience she had in the pharmacy field.

Yes, industry requires a high calibre of person - you need to know your stuff, but there are opportunities out there ... go look!! I've mentioned this before (I'm not being paid to advertise them lol) but at BPC you can meet pre-reg tutors and senior staff from the likes of GSK, Pfizer, AZ - go and have a chat to them. Likewise Specials Lab gave a talk at the last BPSA day. Show iniative rather than complaining and you will get the placements.
                    wake up and smell the 1,3,7-trimethyl-1H-purine-2,6(3H,7H)-dione

Comment

How on earth has she managed that?. Pretty impressive without a 1:1 or 2:1 if you ask, well I do intend on writing to them for placements.

Comment

Contacts, experience, and a general "go-getter" personality!
                        wake up and smell the 1,3,7-trimethyl-1H-purine-2,6(3H,7H)-dione

Comment

"Contacts, experience, and a general "go-getter" personality!"
                          with a 2:2, i bet she did something else to get an industrial placement :P
                          [/COLOR]

Comment

Huh???

Thats just very sad......... (jus being honest)

She was obviously a good communicator with a vibrant personality!....
                            Lazy Lady...
                            [IMG]http://www.polyvore.com/cgi/img-set?.out=jpg&id=VgnFNpwK3hGyUXFqqJvo3g&size=l[/IMG]

Comment

"Contacts, experience, and a general "go-getter" personality!"
                              contacts as in due to the fact she worked during her uni life or contacts as in relatives etc.

ps. ray, thats a nice avatar matey

Comment

Working...
                              X