What made you choose pharmacy :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What made you choose pharmacy :)

Community: long hours, on your feet, patients complaining about waiting, wanting refunds, staff bitching, little/no breaks, little use of the 3-4yr clinical knowledge, less social, decent (but not enough) pay, little/no wage increases

Hospital: NHS in a mess, very poor pay

Industry: very hard to get into, need a 1st, need multiple degrees to realistically go anywhere, such as PhD

Pharmacy, with its in-fighting, numerous factions, pharmacists not grabbing opportunities as well as nurses have done, looked down on, pressurised, money-sucking Society, moving so slowly into the future, no real leadership or vision...

..so why you do it to yourself?

Re: What made you choose pharmacy

I initially chose pharmacy cause of my parents and relatives, I have 4 pharmacists in the family.

Even though everything you said is true to an extent, there are also some positives, such as a guaranteed job at the end of the degree.

Unlike most people I've spoke to, I actually enjoy working as a pharmacist.
    [URL="http://www.pharmacyknowledge.co.uk"]www.pharmacyknowledge.co.uk[/URL] A guide for preregistration students [URL="http://www.pharmacyknowledge.co.uk"]Pharmacy Exam[/URL]

Comment

Any other -ves, or do you think my post covered it

I agree on the +ve (I can think of two, lol), guranteed job and reasonable salary

A lot of pharmacists seem disheartened after gaining a masters degree and being a qualified scientific healthcare professional, they have to be stood up on their feet like a less paid worker, working factory hours, dealing with patients who moan that they can't get a refund, for little/no reward

I guess the grass is not always greener on the other side...

Comment

Personally, I flipped a coin

I wanted to work with people, make a +ve difference, and enjoyed science. Had AAB at A-level so could go into literally anything I wished to

Medicine was a no no, dentistry I considered vaguely simply for monetary reasons, optometry was my initial choice but due to its over saturation, decided on pharmacy.

I quite liked environmental science, so that would be my back-up career when I jack pharmacy in

Comment

I used to work as a computer programmer but was dot com bombed on the day of 9/11 no less.
          I thought Pharmacy would be a nice combo of business and science.

The biggest factor of being a Pharmacist is that you are at the mercy of the public - anyone can walk in that door!
          I love to getting to know patients/customers and helping out your regulars, 95% of people are nice, 5% are assholes, but hey that's life!

The pay, when calculated on a per hour basis is not that good also the lack of proper breaks and the paltry time off/holidays is burning me out.

Pharmacy is a profession based on constant interruptions -which doesn't really suit me, I'd much prefer to work in an appointments based profession e.g. GP, Dentist.
          I also dislike the way Pharmacy is beholden to Doctors for scripts/business.
          Last edited by openmind; 27, July 2008, 03:52 PM.

Comment

When I start work, in order to not turn into a typically depressed/burnt out pharmacist, I will have nice long holidays, take sit downs/breaks when I feel the need, take a lunch 1/2hr (uniteruppted). I consider my sanity and health more paramount, after all, I don't 'need' to be doing this if I don't want to.
            Having read about locums/mur's, I will charge for anything that is chargeable - 4 yrs at uni, not brilliant pay...I say use the system as much as it abuses you.
            Pharmacists have allowed many of these problems to be incurred unto them, bunch of 'push-overs' , not letting any of that crap happen to me. Leat I will be doing something about it, so not having to complain and do nothing like some others.

Comment

Originally posted by zakkaz View Post
              take a lunch 1/2hr (uniteruppted).
              How do you take such a beak if you are the only Pharmacist and a bunch of scripts come in for people who are waiting?
              Are the customers/patients/employers understanding of your need for an uninterrupted break?
              I'm not trying to be funny here, I'd just like to know how you can do this.

Comment

Because he is a "know it all" student.

I did pharmacy because I enjoyed chemistry at school and pharmacy was a means of doing chemistry and getting a job at the end of it.

Although the long hours and difficulty in getting a locum were a problem when I had a small family I don't for a minute regret having done pharmacy and having worked as a pharmacist. My only regret really is that I am not qualifying now as there is more opportunity for pharmacists than ever before.

It distresses me to see so much negativity but I suppose that means there will be fewer competitors for those that see the future.
                http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Hmbyj0XFUhA

Comment

Not really Tonty me old chap, not a student, goodluck to you.
                  Open, I guess Im talking about smaller stores and those that can close for lunch, but would not hesitate to do it for others.
                  As long as there is a pile left for me to check, I will do it. Cistomers can wait, not my problem
                  I am more concerned, as mentioned, about my mental and physical health.
                  Thats exactly what I talk about when I say 'push over' pharmacy It's about fighting back, you two, can you do that or not, you fighters or push overs The change and better working practice and condtions start here ya get me! No more excuses like 'what about the customers' thats what the old timers did to get us in this mess, to old the resultant outcome to be rached, ie ehat we have in 2008....they (patients) don't worry me, I'll just hand out the rx 1/2hr later with a smile on my face 'sorry about the delay, I was enjoying mt 1/2 hr, but not nearly as you enjoyed your 1 hr lunch'

Comment

Open, I guess Im talking about smaller stores and those that can close for lunch, but would not hesitate to do it for others.
                    As long as there is a pile left for me to check, I will do it. Cistomers can wait, not my problem
                    Thats exactly what I talk about when I say 'push over' pharmacy It's about fighting back, you two, can you do that or not, you fighters or push overs The change and better working practice and condtions start here ya get me! No more excuses like 'what about the customers' thats what the old timers did to get us in this mess, to old the resultant outcome to be rached, ie ehat we have in 2008....they (patients) don't worry me, I'll just hand out the rx 1/2hr later with a smile on my face 'sorry about the delay, I was enjoying mt 1/2 hr, but not nearly as you enjoyed your 1 hr lunch'

I'd say employers are queueing up to take advantage of your marketable qualities.

Comment

I'm sure they are, if not, their loss not mine, there are thousands of pharmacies up and down the country, who I can 'hop' to eh, beauty of it all
                      I just make sure the pharmacy manager is not on the premises, keep the staff sweet so they don't tell
                      Eh Open, you can work away like a little pushover puppy though, each to their own, I'm trying to move things forward ...away from slave labour and the 'old times' which you are too ingrained and used to
                      eh

Comment

Zakkaz

Have tried taking up a job as a ‘Comedian’??

Lazy Lady...
                        [IMG]http://www.polyvore.com/cgi/img-set?.out=jpg&id=VgnFNpwK3hGyUXFqqJvo3g&size=l[/IMG]

Comment

Originally posted by openmind View Post
                          How do you take such a beak if you are the only Pharmacist and a bunch of scripts come in for people who are waiting?
                          You just get your counter staff to say "The pharmacist is on her lunch break right now, it'll be ready after 2pm."
                          Ze genuine Article, present & perfect!

Comment

I actually don't understand your contribution here. Who do you expect me to "fight back" against?
                            http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Hmbyj0XFUhA

Comment

Originally posted by openmind View Post
                              "The pharmacist is at lunch - come back in an hour." The NPA can provide a sign saying what can't be done while the pharmacist is absent.

Are the customers/patients/employers understanding of your need for an uninterrupted break?
                              Once they learn that it's non negotiable. They are entitled and welcome to use the pharmacy (locum) of their choice. Working non-stop without a break is not what I'm selling (nor is it something I am capable of). Most customers will accept any delay if they are kept informed of the reasons. It's not being informed that bugs them.

I'm not trying to be funny here, I'd just like to know how you can do this.
                              Which part of "no" will customers/patients/employers have difficulty getting their heads round?

Jeff

Comment

Working...
                              X