Selling syringes.. .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Selling syringes.. .

What are everyones stance on selling microfine+ syringes OTC?

I had a foreign gentleman in who couldnt speak a word of english apart from diabetes, 1ml and excuse me and could act out injecting him self.

One of my staff showed him the pack, therefore the old 'sorry we havent got any' went out the window.

we havent got a needle exchange contract. I cant think of any legal reason why we cant sell them. I dont know how confortable I am selling them.

I explained he could get them on prescription but Im not sure wether or not he's legally here or not as he was determined not to register with a gp.

Re: Selling syringes.. .

I would have sold a pack of 10. No problem.
    johnep

Comment

So would I --it's not a P med. About 3.50 for 10 I think.

Comment

Provided that you accept returned sharps I don't see a problem selling them to anyone.
        Deciding to accept returned sharps is a different issue.

Jeff

Comment

as far as i know medical devices are not restricted by any laws specific to pharmacy, although there might be something in some category of law. so perfectly legal, and in the above situation i dont see why the customer/patient wouldnt be served, assuming the gentleman looks "legit".

Also this situation is parralel to selling EHC OTC or providing it through the PGD, as many PCTs commision needle exchange schemes. So even sales to "druggies" could be justified in the way. dont rip them off though, a box of 100 costs about 6 pounds.

As always the priority should be patient's healt.
          We are the music makers, We are the dreamers of dreams and God damn we are that good

Comment

Might be restricted to over 16s like razor blades...

Comment

It used to be the case that syringes could not be sold unless a pharmacy had a means of accepting and disposing of returned sharps. However I think directing a patient to a local syringe exchange for disposal of sharps should be ok.

To me the priority is to prevent the spread of blood borne viruses like HIV and Hep C. Refusing the sale will mean the patient may have to share injecting equipment and that is a huge risk we can negate by making a sale. If you cannot justify the sale to a "drug addict" think of the saving to the NHS by preventing the patient contracting Hep C.

Incidentally, I think it may still be the case that you could be prosecuted for selling a tourniquet to someone you knew was going to inject drugs!(and why else would they buy a tourniquet?). The regulations change slowly and piecemeal.
              http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Hmbyj0XFUhA

Comment

Working...
              X