notice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• notice

So how many weeks notice is legally required, if any, before leaving work. Or does it depend on which compnay you work for.
    ECDR.UK

Re: notice

Originally posted by rafhelp View Post
    So how many weeks notice is legally required, if any, before leaving work. Or does it depend on which compnay you work for.
    Don't quote me, but it us usually your salary period, for example 1 month if you are paid monthly.
    Unless you have negotiated a longer period of notice or signed up for one.

If you are asked to work 3 months notice when you start your next job ask for a "Hello Bonus", say £1000. They will either pay up or change their tune to 1 month.
    Last edited by Pharmanaut; 15, July 2008, 08:35 PM. Reason: additional information
    47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
    2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
    How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

Strangely, 3 months is not uncommon..It is often written into your contract, although you are probably on a monthly salary. If this is the case, and the "hello bonus" strategy falls on deaf ears, you might point out that 3 months is a very long time to retain a disgruntled employee, and/or you really aren't feeling very well.

They hopefully should twig that it would be better to allow you to leave sooner rather than later, as it's much easier to lose custom than attract it..I'm being prudent here! Absurdly,some companies also try to restrict your proposed move by stating in your contract that you may not work within a certain radius, say, 3 miles of your current position for a certain time period. I am not sure of the legality of this, and have never heard of it being enforced.

I assume you do not require a company reference..if you do, you will have to tread more carefully.

Also, you may be entitled to some pro-rata holiday leave, which could soften the blow a bit.

Best of luck in your new position!
      Last edited by Fleegle; 16, July 2008, 07:51 PM.
      Don't Stop Believing

http://youtube.com/watch?v=rnT7nYbCSvM

Comment

How much notice does a locum have to give?
        Lazy Lady...
        [IMG]http://www.polyvore.com/cgi/img-set?.out=jpg&id=VgnFNpwK3hGyUXFqqJvo3g&size=l[/IMG]

Comment

Technically none, if you are self-employed. You should be responsible for sub-contracting a replacement, however, if asked..doesn't happen often though.

Usually mutual agreement suffices..try not to cancel at short notice unless you have a valid reason. Word gets around, and your portable telephone may become mysteriously quiet...
          Don't Stop Believing

Comment

None as not an employee.
            johnep

Comment

Thanx guys!

I used to locum for an independent, who wouldn’t let me have time off for interviews. He wanted me to give him 2-3 months notice for the interview!

How is that possible? They usually email/call 1-2 weeks before the actual interview date.

Bad employment practice?
              Lazy Lady...
              [IMG]http://www.polyvore.com/cgi/img-set?.out=jpg&id=VgnFNpwK3hGyUXFqqJvo3g&size=l[/IMG]

Comment

Originally posted by Lazy Nite View Post
                Thanx guys!

I used to locum for an independent, who wouldn’t let me have time off for interviews. He wanted me to give him 2-3 months notice for the interview!

How is that possible? They usually email/call 1-2 weeks before the actual interview date.

Bad employment practice?
                If you were not an employee, then it's nothing to do with employment practice but a mutual agreement between you and the independent.
                If you are an employee - then just phone in with a migraine on the day.
                Jeff

Comment

erm..... i thought a locum booking was a "contract" and one could end up infront of the council(?) if the pharmacy contractors complains about u cancelling without appriopriate notice or a replacement...... atleast something like that
                  We are the music makers, We are the dreamers of dreams and God damn we are that good

Comment

When employed in a pharmacy, I wanted to go for an interview but could not see how I could have the time off. In the end my wife convinced me to enquire locally re a locum and a young lady came in for three hours and I paid her myself. I got the job and then up came the question of although they would give me a months notice, I had to give three months. In the end I gave six weeks and joined the new company a day late on the training course.

When in industry, I was on three months notice, but wanted to leave after a month. A kindly manager then gave me two months pay in lieu. Of course I should never have left. Biggest mistake of my life as the company I then joined turned into a nightmare.
                    johnep

Comment

That is what I thought – when you agree for a locum position it’s a ‘contract’

The Society’s website also recommends there should be a written contract in place to protect the locum and the employer.

What qualifies for ‘Short notice’ - is it 1-2 days or 1-2 weeks?

I always gave the independent contractor 1-2 weeks notice for my interviews; he still wouldn’t let me go.
                      Lazy Lady...

Comment

I am a self-employed locum..if any proprietor attempted to contract me to a period of agreed cover, I would simply tell him to Feck Off..End of story.
                        There are plenty others who require time off work.
                        Don't Stop Believing

Comment

Originally posted by Lazy Nite View Post
                          That is what I thought – when you agree for a locum position it’s a ‘contract’

The Society’s website also recommends there should be a written contract in place to protect the locum and the employer.

What qualifies for ‘Short notice’ - is it 1-2 days or 1-2 weeks?

I always gave the independent contractor 1-2 weeks notice for my interviews; he still wouldn’t let me go.
                          The contract is whatever both the parties agree is in the contract. If you stipulate that a one week notice of cancellation in order to attend an interview is one of your requirements the other party has a choice of to accept that or not.
                          If the other party requires 3 months notice of cancellation you have the opportunity to accept that or not.
                          Most contracts used to require the locum to find a replacement locum - so you probably have the option of using an agency to find a locum that you would pay (while the owner pays you). Most owners will baulk at this idea, preferring to find their own locum.

Jeff

Comment

Are locums in UK currently signing contracts?

If so..this will adversely affect any self-employed status they may think they have. VAT registration is another prerequisite, assuming they are fully achieving their earnings potential..also accurate invoicing for tax purposes, which in itself removes any contractual requirement.

If you locum..talk to an accountant, if you have not already done so.
                            Don't Stop Believing

Comment

Fleegle--most locums in the UK use the NPA locum agreement form which is a declaration of self employed status, approved by the tax people. Most UK locums
                              do not have to be VAT registered.

http://www.npa.co.uk/members/file_up...nt_COE191X.pdf

Comment

Working...
                              X