selling other products

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• selling other products

It really annoys me that as a profession we sell things like lipsticks, nappies etc personally. This gives the public the opinion that we are merely a shop and increases the chances of theft, silly questions etc in my opinion.

I don't want to learn all this clinical knowledge and then end up advicing women on what to buy for their lips.

anyone else agree?
    3rd yr pharmacy student - bath

Re: selling other products

Absolutely. Nappies take up massive shelf space, and that doesn't include the warehouse required to store back up stock..there must be at least 40 different types of nappy available now. When I was wee, a babies arse was just a babies arse. The shop is lucky if it clears a euro a bag..might even make a loss..idea is "ladies" pushing prams will also purchase other products..creams etc...multiples have had the nappies marked as loss leaders for years.

Make-up...don't start me on this one.. most of it leaves the shop up the sleeve of some fugly shell-suited 16 year-old. The displays require daily cleaning, and pricing new stock takes about a week. Not worth the staff's time. It also requires a "bargain bin", as the companies perpetually introduce new product ranges, but will seldom give credit for the crappy old stuff you are left with. It also takes an age to scan all the new range through the till to ensure accurate pricing.

Bottom line..Don't sell nappies or make-up...it's a waste of bloody time (and money).
    Last edited by Fleegle; 12, July 2008, 08:33 PM.
    Don't Stop Believing

http://youtube.com/watch?v=rnT7nYbCSvM

Comment

Get rid of the nappies...but keep the make up!
      Lazy Lady...
      [IMG]http://www.polyvore.com/cgi/img-set?.out=jpg&id=VgnFNpwK3hGyUXFqqJvo3g&size=l[/IMG]

Comment

"It really annoys me that as a profession we sell things like lipsticks, nappies etc personally. This gives the public the opinion that we are merely a shop and increases the chances of theft, silly questions etc in my opinion."

what really annoys me is that i do not know where do we keep a lot of these things at the pharmacy where i work, and sometimes i get irritating phone calls from people asking for specific brand of lipsticks and perfumes and whether we have got them in stock.

when the shop/till girls were at lunch, i usualy cover for them( as i take my lunch a bit late ). i looked for some plastic bags and batteries for this lady and it took me 10 mins to find where do we keep them( well after checking with the girls where do we keep the batteries).

I feel you mate
        [COLOR=Olive]xxxx They tried to break my back, but i survived. whatever doesn't kill you, will only makes you stronger xxxx
        [/COLOR]

Comment

"--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Get rid of the nappies...but keep the make up!
          __________________"

if it was for me to decide where i work, i would get rid of half of the shop things that are rotting on the shelves " cards, plastic bags, babies toys...etc" and build in another consultation room ( to be used for BP monitering, cholesterol checking, diabetic screening ...etc), while the current consultation room is used for MURs, smoking cessation sessions. and i would make the dispensary BIGGER so we keep more stocks in this busy pharmacy.

ahhh i guess i am just dreaming for now, but i really believe this pharmacy could be used in a better way as it's a busy one with loads of UNUSED FREE space.
          [COLOR=Olive]xxxx They tried to break my back, but i survived. whatever doesn't kill you, will only makes you stronger xxxx
          [/COLOR]

Comment

Ray..

You have moved the goalposts a bit here..firstly you appeared to be unhappy about the fact that these products were being sold. Now you are unhappy that you don't know where they are! Whether you are either owner or manager of the shop, can I suggest you familiarise yourself with stock location, if you choose to run it on your own for periods where your staff are absent.

Further, may I suggest that you adjust your rota to ensure that you have adequate staff looking after your counters at ALL times. Should solve the problem.
            Don't Stop Believing

Comment

Fleegle

He's only a Fourth year pharmacy student.......
              Lazy Lady...
              [IMG]http://www.polyvore.com/cgi/img-set?.out=jpg&id=VgnFNpwK3hGyUXFqqJvo3g&size=l[/IMG]

Comment

Originally posted by giggsy View Post
                I don't want to learn all this clinical knowledge and then end up advicing women on what to buy for their lips.

anyone else agree?
                I quite like womens lips.

Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff View Post
                  I quite like womens lips.

Jeff

If they are red......

Comment

Originally posted by Lazy Nite View Post
                    Fleegle

He's only a Fourth year pharmacy student.......
                    He didn't make that clear.
                    Don't Stop Believing

Comment

it's clear on my profile, ufortunately i can not mention that whenever i make a post. don't you think so?
                      Last edited by Rafael; 12, July 2008, 10:18 PM.
                      [/COLOR]

Comment

As long as pharmacists profit rather than non-pharmacists then I am all for it and I am surprised you are not all for it as you are pharmacists. Every shop wants an NHS contract because it guarantees hundreds of consumers will come in every day of the week. Entrepreneurs will lease out areas of the shop floor to sell utter crap for a cut of the profits. This is enterprise. When are we going to stop working for multiples and take back this opportunity?

Comment

Originally posted by u2bawooly View Post
                          As long as pharmacists profit rather than non-pharmacists then I am all for it and I am surprised you are not all for it as you are pharmacists. Every shop wants an NHS contract because it guarantees hundreds of consumers will come in every day of the week. Entrepreneurs will lease out areas of the shop floor to sell utter crap for a cut of the profits. This is enterprise. When are we going to stop working for multiples and take back this opportunity?
                          don't get your point. I agree with building another consultation room. Rather than selling lipsticks, you could be doing vascular screening.
                          3rd yr pharmacy student - bath

Comment

yeah absolutely, but where are you going to find the funding for building? Are you under the impression that profit from an NHS contract alone is enough to fund staffing, building etc? Apologies if it appears I would put selling tat before patient service, but when you have the services in place, then it is the PHARMACIST's prerogative to earn some extra cash and long may that continue. As for none pharmacists proprietors who sell tat, I think they should all be shot because I am a pharmacist and I cant get an NHS contract.

Comment

From what I have seen, if you own a shop, get a Clarins counter. While they are waiting for their script @ 90p per item and a pack of nurofen plus for their hangover, they could be browsing and buying stuff at 90 quid a pot (with 30% profit on return). Counters like that make the shop look nice and have a good loyalty rating, which brings in more scripts etc.....

Comment

Working...
                              X