Least Happy Workers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Least Happy Workers?

Pharm Journal 1/4/06 has the result of a survey by the City & Guilds 'Pharmacists are the least happy workers in the uk..'

Could this be because
    1. The modern graduate is over qualified for the job?
    2. The practical side of the profession has gone completely - no preparing medicines any more, just tablet counting?
    3. The chances of owning ones own pharmacy are now so slim, and the profession is becoming a locum profession.
    4. The hours and pay are not enough for the responsibility?

What do you think? Any other suggestions?

Norcot (Retired Pharmacist, who did enjoy his job)

Re: Least Happy Workers?

Originally posted by norcot
    Pharm Journal 1/4/06 has the result of a survey by the City & Guilds 'Pharmacists are the least happy workers in the uk..'

Could this be because
    1. The modern graduate is over qualified for the job?
    2. The practical side of the profession has gone completely - no preparing medicines any more, just tablet counting?
    3. The chances of owning ones own pharmacy are now so slim, and the profession is becoming a locum profession.
    4. The hours and pay are not enough for the responsibility?

What do you think? Any other suggestions?

Norcot (Retired Pharmacist, who did enjoy his job)
    I don't know what you mean.

I skip dizzily to work every morning and whistle all day. As I count tablets I hum and as old people abuse me I sing a happy song! :twisted:
    Linnear MRPharmS

Foetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder: The biggest cause of brain damage and 100% preventable.

In pregnancy: 1 fag is not safe, 1 x-ray is not safe and 1 drink is not safe.

For handy pharmacy links try
    pharmacistance.co.uk

If you like my posts or letters in the journal try my books!
    eloquent-e-tales

Comment

happy workers

Funny how the same article goes on to state that "78% of pharmacists said they were happy with their jobs because they are made to feel appreciated": I'm definitely in that category, as you may have gathered from my previous postings.
      I don't think modern graduates are over-qualified for the job:when they first start out, all fresh out of university they're pretty useless in a community pharmacy on a busy saturday as they haven't yet acquired the people skills, the multitasking-answering+the phone whilst looking at somebody's rash+checking scripts all at the same time; thinking on one's feet, listening to patients etc...;
      "practical side of the profession": in my 7 years' working in Belgium as a community pharmacist, I got used to plenty of compounding, several different preparations a day: creams, emulsions, suppositories, even tablets, using instruments that I now see sold on eBay as "Victorian pharmaceutical antiques/ collectables"; Yes, it was interesting and fun, but at the end of the day, it was just like cooking, "any trained monkey can follow a recipe"...
      "Owning one's own Pharmacy": Again, I draw on my experience in Belgium, where this was a lot more likely: I wouldn't have touched it with a barge-pole. I like paid holidays, the absence of the conflict of interest between the till-drawer and my professional integrity, and I'm glad I don't have to concern myself with VAT returns, building insurance, sourcing the cheapest stationery supplies etc...; I feel I have more time to focus on my profession than if I was a pharmacy owner.
      Hours and pay: a lot of Belgian pharmacists would be very envious of our conditions her in the UK! £20+/hour is quite unheard of over there, and to top it all, the 42% income tax band starts at £16,000pa...!
      Ze genuine Article, present & perfect!

Comment

Working...
      X