Losing jobs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Losing jobs

Do you think there will be a shortage of jobs in 10 years, with the increase in number of universities and recruitment from developing contries?

Re: Losing jobs

let me have first stab at this.

At present...too many pharmacies, too few pharmacists, hence why control of entry was designed strict enough to halt the over growth of good independant pharmacist owned pharmacies but not too leniant to allow supermarkets to cream profits from pharmacists (sarcasm).

Reciprocal agreement ends - ie no more easy access for aussies and kiwis. Fees go up, so older pharmacists quit in protest. This helps us.

9 more unis will give us a maximum of 900 new pharmacists per annum from next july, foreign pharmacists must train but are still attracted. I believe this will only replace those above, not to mention the young pharmacists who are leaving the profession to work abroad or study fast track medicine (which still goes unreported)

But in answer to your question , the jobs will be cut substantially due to remote supervision. Those b*****ds in government who have completely ignored the views of pharmacists in the responsible pharmacist consultation are about to 'consult' (which is a lie) on remote supervision. By sometime next year a pharmacist will be able to operate more than one shop and jobs will go. The multiples will bully students, pre-regs and foreign pharmacists into these roles. Technicians will quite happily accept a pay rise. The patients won't be told the difference, but in the meantime, we are f***ed. The pharmacist service market is a sellers market as u need a pharmacist to open a store so we can essentially name our price (which not enough pharmacists do), but remote supervision will create a buyers market, ie too many pharmacists offering to do too few jobs, so the purchaser (boots, lloyds..) will set a much, much lower price on a take it or leave it basis. Start sh****ng yourself now, do yourself a favour and investigate ways to stay on the ladder ie diploma, independant prescriber, usa, phd.

Comment

It's hard to predict. I've been qualified a year now and am planning on going to Australia next year year to work and travel. It's my ambition to get my own pharmacy and I think it's easier to do this in Oz and Canada where they have rules that protect independants. If anyone has any advice on getting your own pharmacy that would be great. I realise it cant be that easy though otherwise more pharmacists would try and do it

Comment

i guess it's time to start training in management in my spare time (good for cpd )

or maybe i should re-train for IT and throw my white coat in the bin...

“It's not worth doing something unless you were doing something that someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren't doing.”

Terry Pratchett

Comment

good idea to try oz, its a feather in the cap. Hats off to our international pharmacist comrades for grabbing the law by the bollocks and preventing random parasitic thievin non-pharmacist b***ards from buying pharmacies and leechin profits which are rightfully ours. I think in oz 1 pharmacist can own a max of 5 pharmacies, u r protected from corporations. Over here any bunch of german fatcat farmers can own over 3000. Tell me newby do you consider this an insult to your degree. You studied hard so that somebody else can take what is yours? The french must be absolutely pissing themselves laughing at us. And we wonder why GPs won't take us seriously.

Comment

Hi,
            what's a "bunch of german fatcat farmers "?
            Why the "The french must be absolutely pissing themselves ..."?

Confused
            jo

Comment

Originally posted by johannes View Post
              Hi,
              what's a "bunch of german fatcat farmers "?
              Why the "The french must be absolutely pissing themselves ..."?
              german fatcat farmers - i think they mean the phoenix group - they own 3000 pharmacies over the EU, including Rowlands in the uk. Oh, and the wholesaler phoenix, and numark too now.

not sure about the french though. maybe just a reference to their amazing ability to go on strike at the drop of a hat....
              “It's not worth doing something unless you were doing something that someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren't doing.”

Terry Pratchett

Comment

just trying to emphasize that not only can anybody buy a pharmacy, but they can own as many as they can afford. From a time where you could open a pharmacy in your front room, we are now at a point where if a new pharmacist wanted to autonomously practice in his/her pharmacy and receive the just reward, he would need to be rich in the first place.

Comment

Originally posted by u2bawooly View Post
                  we are now at a point where if a new pharmacist wanted to autonomously practice in his/her pharmacy and receive the just reward, he would need to be rich in the first place.
                  as has been pointed out before, it's still reasonably possible to open up a pharmacy via the wholesaler loan schemes. 2 100-hour outfits in my home town are independents set up by two different sets of partner-pharmacists - one of them opened up 2 doors down from a chain outlet opposite a big surgery and they now rake it in!

It is still do-able, you just have to research your business a bit more now the market is less stable...

Terry Pratchett

Comment

Then again there will be a waste of money to pay for the compulsory extra 50 hours a week to cover wages and fixed costs.

I don't condone 100 hour pharmacy as something to be proud of. It is a stab in the back to those independant (pharmacists only) whose business model was decimated by a legal loophole. We have no free market system in britain which is a joke. 100 hour pharmacies arent an example of business acumen. Those pharmacists who have stolen business this way (from pharmacists) shuld hang their heads in shame as they drive a stake through the heart of their own profession. On the other hand if they have stolen business from corporations then i salute them.

Comment

Originally posted by scouse View Post
                      Those pharmacists who have stolen business this way (from pharmacists) shuld hang their heads in shame as they drive a stake through the heart of their own profession. On the other hand if they have stolen business from corporations then i salute them.
                      That's a bitter outlook!

A lot of 100 hour pharmacies can be very poorly thought out in terms of strategy and location but equally the 100 hour regs have been a godsend to numerous small starters and the public in general. Look at it from a patients point of view - what if they've just been to the OOH doc for something urgent eg palliative care meds (my most frequent experience of post 9pm scripts) ? Where on earth would they be if they couldn't go to the new 100 hour pharmacy down the road from the walk-in centre, or the local supermarket pharmacy?
                      I don't condone all the actions taken by 100 hour applications -some of them are a little close to the knuckle - BUT where there is a gap in the market or provision is from a poor provider (in my hometown's case) then the patient can only benefit. Before a genuine applicant who could have revolutionised a service area could not simply because of failing the 'necessary or desirable' test.
                      I salute the independent who can hold his or her own in today's pharmacy environment however the 100 hour situation is a stern warning to those who provide shoddy, bare minimum services - be them 100 hour or independent - customers vote with their feet these days!

Terry Pratchett

Comment

100 hour week!....Are you serious?...expect alopecia, divorce and a heart-attack. (in that order).
                        Don't Stop Believing

http://youtube.com/watch?v=rnT7nYbCSvM

Comment

i agree with scouse. pharmacists should definitely be able to compete on a level playing field, whether they open for 1 , 10 or 168 hours per week, but the 100 our pharmacy has given a back door entry to those who may not provide a good service. I totally agree that there is a niche for out of hours as there is a niche for all the services and a niche for dry cleaning. There are certainly some dispicable pharmacy services being offered at present probably due to rich pharmacists/non-pharmacists buying contracts to 'do-up' and sell on when the multiples come knocking, but to offer a back door entry to steal a prime location by exemption does not promote competition, it lowers the standard to the level of patients who do not care about the quality as long as the job is done. If any pharmacist could open up anywhere for any amount of hours, the result would be a high quality service offered by those pharmacists who had the best business acumen as opposed to the most money given by mummy and daddy or the prime location given by control of entry exemption. Long live the honest pharmacy proprietors

Comment

bear in mind that 100 hour exemption is also a stern warning to those pharmacists that provide an excellent service. The debilitated, who provide the majority of turnover, will go to the nearest pharmacy to the surgery regardless of service, especially if collection and delivery offered. Its not just the crap pharmacies that are being screwed. Why aren't we putting a stop to this. We are an embarressment as a profession. I am not a proprietor btw nor do i sleep with one.
                            Last edited by u2bawooly; 30, June 2008, 07:15 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X