Disposing of patient returns and pharmacy waste

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disposing of patient returns and pharmacy waste

Yesterday I was reading about disposing of patient returned medication and pharmacy waste. I don't know if it's just a company thing but it said that the two should be separated as the PCO pay to dispose of patient returns and the pharmacy pays for its own waste. Anyway, we've never done this where I work and it's all just gone into a yellow waste bin. In my NVQ course it mentions dealing with waste and I'm unsure what to write. I don't understand the different coloured bins and their uses. Where I work we've got a 1 litre yellow bin that all the tablets/caplets/capsules are placed in, this includes both patient returns and pharmacy waste. We've got 2 small yellow bins, one with an orange lid and the other a purple lid. The last bin we've got is green with a black lid that all liquids seems to go in, again, patient returns and pharmacy waste. I thought you could only place bottles up to 100ml in there but pharmacist said it's 500ml *confused*

So yeah, I'm very confused. Can someone clarify for me?

Thank you.

Re: Disposing of patient returns and pharmacy waste

in an ideal world patient returns is separated with dispensary waste, your best bet is to check with your waste disposal collectors they will be able to advise which bin is for what; having said that, you better stick to your company policy, some companies have different guidelines compared to their waste disposal collectors, once you got all the information you can find the best way to sort out your waste, hope this helps, good luck
    i am telling you about pharmacy life in practice, together with my personal opinions i think might be better for pharmacy practices

Comment

Your waste disposal company is under contract from ther PCT. You will need to do whatever the company and or the PCT advise. It differs a little between PCTs.

Comment

Originally posted by razorbladekisses View Post
        Yesterday I was reading about disposing of patient returned medication and pharmacy waste. I don't know if it's just a company thing but it said that the two should be separated as the PCO pay to dispose of patient returns and the pharmacy pays for its own waste. Anyway, we've never done this where I work and it's all just gone into a yellow waste bin. In my NVQ course it mentions dealing with waste and I'm unsure what to write. I don't understand the different coloured bins and their uses. Where I work we've got a 1 litre yellow bin that all the tablets/caplets/capsules are placed in, this includes both patient returns and pharmacy waste. We've got 2 small yellow bins, one with an orange lid and the other a purple lid. The last bin we've got is green with a black lid that all liquids seems to go in, again, patient returns and pharmacy waste. I thought you could only place bottles up to 100ml in there but pharmacist said it's 500ml *confused*

So yeah, I'm very confused. Can someone clarify for me?

Thank you.

Hi,

Is this something to do with your NVQ course? I think its prob got something to do with CD patient returns and CD out of date stock. They are disposed of differently.

With reference to the doop bins, we used to have to separate liquid, caps and things but now they all get chucked into one doop bin or yellow waste bag. Our PCT pay for the wastage disposal by weight per pick up which is about every 3 months, included in this cost is having all types mixed up together so we dont have to mess about so long splitting every thing into different doop bins.

I would try to get into contact with your local PCT to fnd out as to what they take as regards to waste disposal as all seem to be different. We cant take any needles as our PCT doesnt offer us a service to dispose of them. We have to direct them to environmental disposal.

Pretty sure your branch will have some kind of SOP to deal with disposal of waste either patient return or pharmacy out of dates. NVQ's love SOP's!

L x

Comment

Working...
        X