Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad Advice

Hi Everyone,

I've been a pharmacist for nearly 2 years now and haven't made any massive errors until now. I had a patient in the pharmacy today who insisted he had wind and was feeling abdominal discomfort. He then went on to say that the pain was also around his chest and arm and his fingers felt tingly. I was unsure as to whether he was having angina pain, a minor MI or severe indigestion with heartburn. I should've just kept him there and called NHS Direct right away due to my uncertainty but instead I gave him the number to call as it made sense that he spoke to them directly and so he left the pharmacy with the number. I keep thinking how stupid it was of me to do that and wondering why I did that when I'm always so careful but the only reason I can come up with is that he seemed okay which is a poor reason because I know that even a minor MI could produce very few symptoms. Ultimately I realise my actions were those of a bad pharmacist. I am now wondering the extent of the trouble I could get into for this? Can anyone help?

Re: Bad Advice

You did fine.

He told you he was fine and took the number. If you had phoned ambulance/NHS direct , you would have been going against his wishes. And as a patient/customer, he is entitled to make his own choice.

It isn't for us to force treatment on someone who does not want it. That's what democracy and freedom of choice is about.

Comment

Sounds fine to me - You "signposted" and referred him on as you weren't sure what was happening.

Comment

I agree with web ferret - I think you did all you could. I don't think you are a bad pharmacist doing this - you obviously care.
        Lively debate is encouraged but please respect the opinions and feelings of others.
        Please help keep the forum vibrant by spreading the work to friends and colleagues via word of mouth or social media.
        Thank you for contributing to this site.

Comment

Thank you for your replies - it is useful to get other pharmacists' opinions and I'm glad this forum exists to allow us to get help and advice from one another.

Comment

Working...
          X