Insulins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Insulins

Can anyone explain differences between Solarstar and optiset lantus insulins.?
    johnep

Re: Insulins

From what I can tell:

1. Solostar goes up to 80 units, optiset only goes to 40

Means if using >40 units do not have to do 2 injections

2. Solostar graduated in single units, optiset graduated in 2 unit steps

Allows for more flexibility - to me they should market both as 1 unit doses...

3. Solostar has shorter plunger action - according to blurb means easier for someone with dexterity problems to manage.

To sum up - they should stop the optiset and just make the solostar but you know drug companies - if they can have 2 products on the market... Just a shame they take up so much space in an already cramped fridge.
    Titch

Comment

Watch out for Rx which are written generically for above items. Always check with patient which one they use....i had an irate practice nurse on phone asking why i had given wrong one to patient. I explained and she said would make sure Rx written as Solostar or Optiset!

Comment

Originally posted by JonF View Post
        Watch out for Rx which are written generically for above items. Always check with patient which one they use....i had an irate practice nurse on phone asking why i had given wrong one to patient. I explained and she said would make sure Rx written as Solostar or Optiset!
        Its possible that they never know if they have written generic on script.
        They might have prescribed brand but it switches to generic automatically?
        Perhaps someone more familiar with GP systems might fill in the gaps in my knowledge?
        47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
        2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
        How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

Originally posted by Pharmanaut View Post
          Its possible that they never know if they have written generic on script.
          They might have prescribed brand but it switches to generic automatically?
          Perhaps someone more familiar with GP systems might fill in the gaps in my knowledge?
          I've come across a similar issue with generic prescribing of salbutamol breath-actuated 200mcg/dose inhalers: there's a piece of GP software called Scriptswitch apparently, that automatically prints scripts for the 200-dose version (i.e. Pulvinal), when someone wants a ventolin accuhaler...
          Ze genuine Article, present & perfect!

Comment

Our local PCT are promoting scriptswitch with the idea of making it easy for sgs to follow their dictates. Consequence has been no stock of efcortelan.
            johnep

Comment

Scriptswich was useful for the first few months but it has to be continually updated (no time for anyone to do so) and the GPs hate it because it slows the system down.

Hadn't realised about the Puvinal issue - will check our system to see if that happening and nip it in the bud.

Trying to make a policy in my practices that all insulins, dressins, pills and HRT go out as brand name (Rxing as generic is no cheaper as the brand is supplied and ensures that patient gets right thing without pharmacy having to spend ages checking)
              Titch

Comment

Originally posted by Titch View Post
                Trying to make a policy in my practices that all insulins, dressins, pills and HRT go out as brand name (Rxing as generic is no cheaper as the brand is supplied and ensures that patient gets right thing without pharmacy having to spend ages checking)
                Also pile creams and suppositories please !

Comment

And while we are about it, salicylic acid preps for warts etc.
                  johnep

Comment

Originally posted by Titch View Post
                    Scriptswich was useful for the first few months but it has to be continually updated (no time for anyone to do so) and the GPs hate it because it slows the system down.

Hadn't realised about the Puvinal issue - will check our system to see if that happening and nip it in the bud.

Scriptswitch into EPSR2 is going to be fun?
                    If everything goes in as a VMP and a patient comes in for a script for "Catheter" or "Colostomy Bag".
                    Lets hope it follows the "Never prescribable as VMP" flag on the DM+D.
                    47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
                    2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
                    How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

Sorry, VMP is ?
                      johnep

Comment

Welcome to the dm+d website — The NHS Dictionary of Medicines and Devices

Comment

Originally posted by johnep View Post
                          Sorry, VMP is ?
                          johnep
                          virtual medical product I think?

Scriptswitch only works for new drugs being added so hopefully person inputting the drug would not let the system overule choice of catheter/colostomy bag as they pick them via code number.
                          Titch

Comment

Working...
                          X