Pharmacy Overload

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pharmacy Overload

Since control of entry was established in the mid 1980's the number of pharmacy premises has remained virtually constant, however, the number of items has increased exponentially leading to dispensing factory dynamics.

Being a locum I walk into a store to be faced with "we're two staff down", a pile of prescriptions as high as your arm, stock squeezed onto the shelves and stock and prepared prescriptions lying on the floor.

If one is fortunate enough to have obtained a contract, the inspectors should do everything in their power to ensure contractors provide adequate facilities for a safe and comfortable working environment.

I propose that control of entry should be abolished as new premises are needed NOW! None of this 100 hour rubbish, complete abolition. Existing contractors would be up in arms with this statement and the multiples would be eyeing every street corner. Even if a pharmacy did open on each street corner, natural selection would take place and only the fittest would survive, which can only be good for the patient and the NHS.

We certainly do need new contracts for that there is no doubt, initially it could be done on a pro rata basis, but eventually complete abolition is my goal. X no of new contractors could recieve contracts, X no already owning 2-10 stores could recieve contracts, X no 11-50 and X no 51 and above.

This would keep it fair and allow sole, small, medium and large businesses to obtain contracts.

Please note any data in this post is all anecdotal.

Re: Pharmacy Overload

You're like a broken record. You've been saying this for a long time and it won't make any difference - abolition will never happen.

Originally posted by Hello View Post
    Since control of entry was established in the mid 1980's the number of pharmacy premises has remained virtually constant, however, the number of items has increased exponentially leading to dispensing factory dynamics.

Being a locum I walk into a store to be faced with "we're two staff down", a pile of prescriptions as high as your arm, stock squeezed onto the shelves and stock and prepared prescriptions lying on the floor.

If one is fortunate enough to have obtained a contract, the inspectors should do everything in their power to ensure contractors provide adequate facilities for a safe and comfortable working environment.

I propose that control of entry should be abolished as new premises are needed NOW! None of this 100 hour rubbish, complete abolition. Existing contractors would be up in arms with this statement and the multiples would be eyeing every street corner. Even if a pharmacy did open on each street corner, natural selection would take place and only the fittest would survive, which can only be good for the patient and the NHS.

We certainly do need new contracts for that there is no doubt, initially it could be done on a pro rata basis, but eventually complete abolition is my goal. X no of new contractors could recieve contracts, X no already owning 2-10 stores could recieve contracts, X no 11-50 and X no 51 and above.

This would keep it fair and allow sole, small, medium and large businesses to obtain contracts.

Please note any data in this post is all anecdotal.

Comment

Re: Pharmacy Overload

Originally posted by Raju View Post
      You're like a broken record. You've been saying this for a long time and it won't make any difference - abolition will never happen.
      I fear it will; It'll end up like the US situation, just 20 years behind.
      Just like the obesity of the population in present-day UK mimics that of the US population 20 years ago; same goes with the move towards DTP-advertising...
      Ze genuine Article, present & perfect!

Comment

Working...
      X