Unintended consequences

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unintended consequences

Local PCT is pressing for Efcortelan as much cheaper than hydrocortisone cream. Now MCS.

HO has various tie ups with cos to supply certain items, unfortunately, MCS often happens but we cannot change source in Pharmacy Manager. Thus endorsing is at variance with what was actually supplied. Can change on individual script by using ctrl B. In the meantime our returns from PPA have multiplied and cause aggro. Biggest problem is with scripts for various glucosamine strengths.
    johnep

Re: Unintended consequences

Double post oops

Comment

Just wait until the PCT endorses Eptadone (branded generic methadone 1mg/1ml that is below DT price)- Then you are in for some real bother!

Comment

Should you you click onto the PSNC website and look at the proposals for the PPRS and the associated treatment of branded generics you will see that hopefully this sort of nonsense is living on borrowed time.

Eptadone is a strange one. It is below tariff price and I have spoken with it's smug sales people at conferences but a) We don't want a 5mg/ml methadone that is visually indistinguishable from the 1mg/ml and b) who, when we are worried about hidden harm and dangers to kids thought it was a good idea to make a fruity flavoured methadone liquid?
        http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Hmbyj0XFUhA

Comment

No smoking week so PCT has bright idea of sending a blurb to each counter assistant with a fluffy red no smoking pom pom. However this stops the envelope going through the thickness slot and there is a charge of £1.15 extra by the PO.
          johnep

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Schofield View Post
            Should you you click onto the PSNC website and look at the proposals for the PPRS and the associated treatment of branded generics you will see that hopefully this sort of nonsense is living on borrowed time.
            Lets hope it does - waiting years for this to be sorted out.
            47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
            2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
            How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

I dont get what people are talking about, can someone explain?
              We are the music makers, We are the dreamers of dreams and God damn we are that good

Comment

Branded generics.

Comment

I could come out with at least 40 branded products cheaper than proprietory - but I would NEVER mention them online lest someone from a PCT stumbles across them and gets ideas. Because they WILL start to use the ideas and wreak havoc upon our working lives.

Comment

a) Don't underestimate PCT employed practice pharmacists

b) I don't understand how our working lives would be havoc? It would be a nuisance but havoc was wreaked in the days of Category D which was the reason why the DOH devised a new way of calculating generic prices.

c) I would prefer a move to a system where we were paid what we were worth and didn't have to spend time scuffling around to save threepence ha'penny here and there. As the supply function is predicted to pay less and the cognitive function more, the faster we move to that situation the better.

Comment

Replying to T.Schofield's points:

You are being myopic in suggesting that these switches won't affect our professional lives negatively. What would happen is that we would have to deal with lots and lots more out of stock/unavailable items - send endless patients back to GPs - because the cheaper proprietory products are often not available in sufficient supply and go through significant periods of MCS.

This has already happened several times when PCTs attempt such switches. That is a massive waste of time in which we could be contributing to patient care constructively rather than make up the PCTs mess. To me - this does make my working life hell, because it robs me of time in which I could be doing
                      something constructive.

From a patient's point of view it is also unpleasant. Even when the products are available - pharmacies in other areas may not stock the branded versions - so patients have an increased chance in facing inconvenience in getting their medicines.

Furthermore, if you think a 90p dispensing fee is what we're worth - then fair enough - but I don't. I think dispensing medicines properly, with counselling and making interventions where appropriate (not to mention the ssociated liability is worth much more than 90p.

And anyway I'm not referring primarily to the monetary impact of these switches of pharmacies I'm referring to the extra work spent doing activities that have no improvement on patient care that these switches, in my experience, inevitably cause.

Comment

Fair enough.

I think you overstate the scale but I accept the principle.

We aren't "just" paid 90p per prescription there are many other elements making up remuneration not least of which is the practice allowance. However you have made your point well and I accept most of it.

Comment

Working...
                        X