Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

pharmacists

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • pharmacists

    I work in a pharmacy and the main dispensers here are pretty good but there is one member of staff in particular who makes endless mistakes,and quite bad ones at that, as that persons colleague, do i say something to them or not? The pharmacist who currently works here has handed his notice in, and i think it's because of the dispensing errors,can anybody else relate to this?

  • #2
    Re: pharmacists

    I have just terminated the training of a "technician" who is nearly finished the NVQ3 technician's course due to an unacceptable error rate.

    She is of course now on the sick citing stress at work and I am bracing myself for a constructive dismissal claim due to loss of status.

    I believe a pharmacist in your position has a duty to the public to take up the error rate with the employer and if nothing is done to leave the employ of the company.

    There is much that can be done in terms of supporting the staff member to improve performance and if it isn't you owe it to yourself to seek employment with a more responsible employer. If you do nothing you have put the public at risk and must face up to that if a catastrophe happens.
    http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Hmbyj0XFUhA

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: pharmacists

      i'm not actually a pharmacist,i'm just a dispensing assistant doing NVQ3,but it worries me that we won't be able to keep pharmacists working here because of this problem. The pharmacist we have at the moment is lovely and i am gutted he's leaving and it's mainly because of the errors. Has anybody else had this problem and if you have, any advice?

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: pharmacists

        Originally posted by michelle View Post
        I work in a pharmacy and the main dispensers here are pretty good but there is one member of staff in particular who makes endless mistakes,and quite bad ones at that, as that persons colleague, do i say something to them or not? The pharmacist who currently works here has handed his notice in, and i think it's because of the dispensing errors,can anybody else relate to this?
        Its not really your place to say anything - Is there an area manager, manager or if all else fails the superintendent. Pharmacists are responsible if a member of staff is not up to the mark. Who is signing off the NVQ modules - Is there an assessor?
        Do you do a near miss log as that should show up any issues?

        I have stopped someone dispensing who did not know what she was doing - Its my responsibility after all.

        Oh and your not "just a dispensing assistant" - don't put yourself down.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: pharmacists

          I'd be surprised if one staff member's errors really were enough to push a pharmacist into resigning from his position... There's probably a lot more to it than your colleague's repeated errors: pressure from management to achieve targets (MURs, script figures, etc...); lack of rewards (financial or otherwise), working atmosphere, travelling distance, lack of working hours flexibility, career options,...
          I agree with Web Ferret: you shouldn't say anything to your colleague, it's not your place, and it would only poison the atmosphere...
          Ze genuine Article, present & perfect!

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: pharmacists

            Originally posted by Tony Schofield View Post
            She is of course now on the sick citing stress at work and I am bracing myself for a constructive dismissal claim due to loss of status.
            The joys of ownership - I've been marginally involved in two - the first when the idea of unfair dismissal was new - and it was cheaper to pay up than to continue to employ the member of staff - and the other more recently when corporate governance decreed dismissal - but it was a waste of a potentially valuable member of staff.

            On members of staff making errors - I try to be open about it - we all make errors and everyone checks everyone else. As we learn which errors we make we work to our strengths when busy and concentrate on our weaknesses when slack.

            I also note errors/near misses on the patients notes - in order to avoid repetition. e.g. the patient who has loperamide TABLETS because they can't absorb the gelatine. (I also tend to ask the surgery to highlight oddball stuff like that on scripts and also dose/quantity changes to avoid errors induced from just repeating old labels) - it's very much a team approach and the local surgery is part of the team.

            Jeff

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: pharmacists

              The grievance process is now under way.

              I have asked the NPA if they will support my taking the lady off the course. I haven't got an answer yet which is very worrying. The course specifies two bits. The first is "academic" and the second is documenting that the individual competencies have been achieved. I don't see anywhere where an acceptable standard of overall work is required. The competencies are achieved in isolation.

              If a pre-reg is not deemed to be professionally responsible by a pre-reg tutor, the tutor can refuse to sign the student off. That doesn't seem to be the case here. In principle this lady could continue and achieve those competencies left to become a technician and register with the RPSGB. She could then obtain work anywhere despite my believing she is a danger to the public.

              I have taken this up with the RPSGB and I will keep you informed.
              http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Hmbyj0XFUhA

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: pharmacists

                thanx for the advice guys, it has helped

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: pharmacists

                  Originally posted by Web Ferret View Post
                  Its not really your place to say anything - Is there an area manager, manager or if all else fails the superintendent.

                  Oh and your not "just a dispensing assistant" - don't put yourself down.

                  I can't agree more with that comment Web Ferret - on all counts. The Super. really should be informed of what is happening in their branches.

                  And, for what it is worth, no one is "Just a dispensing assistant". There are many that I have worked with that I would rather have in my dispensary team than ANY Pharmacist. A Pharmacist can only head a team, it is the dispensers behind them that make a Pharmacy run smoothly.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: pharmacists

                    Originally posted by Tony Schofield View Post
                    The grievance process is now under way.


                    . That doesn't seem to be the case here.

                    I have taken this up with the RPSGB and I will keep you informed.
                    There is a "sign off" by a pharmacist for a technician.

                    From the RPSGB form:

                    Section 10: Declaration by countersigning pharmacist
                    I DECLARE that, to the best of my knowledge, the information given in this application, and in any supporting documents is true and accurate.
                    I have known the applicant for ____ years and I know of no reason why he/she should not practise as a pharmacy technician with honesty and integrity.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: pharmacists

                      That is for joining the register not for completion of NVQ 3. However I was unaware of it so thank you.

                      There is nothing to refer to satisfactory working in that declaration. It is about the honesty and integrity of the individual.
                      http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Hmbyj0XFUhA

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: pharmacists

                        Originally posted by Zoggite View Post
                        I'd be surprised if one staff member's errors really were enough to push a pharmacist into resigning from his position... There's probably a lot more to it than your colleague's repeated errors: pressure from management to achieve targets (MURs, script figures, etc...); lack of rewards (financial or otherwise), working atmosphere, travelling distance, lack of working hours flexibility, career options,...
                        I agree with Web Ferret: you shouldn't say anything to your colleague, it's not your place, and it would only poison the atmosphere...
                        Til recently I've been doing three days a week as a locum with a company who have rejigged their staffing, and now, with a new untrained member of staff who is difficult to work with, the error rate has soared. No concession has been made by management to the fact she hasn't worked in a shop before, let alone a dispensary. The experienced technicians are trying to carry her but are worried about the possible fall-out. I decided that, as I was working half the week, I might be held partly responsible for systemic errors, so I have cut my bookings at that branch to the days when that particular staff member doesn't work, and the remaining one or two days a week is, I think, a sufficiently less percentage of the week so that I am protecting myself as best as I can.

                        Surely we all know dispensaries that we wouldn't go back to? Is there any problem with creating a dispensary review list, which might be a really good way of getting some of these problems resolved. I don't want to take a booking at Michelle's current branch, do you? Last week I worked in a sauna doubling as a dispensary, which was short-staffed, and where one assistant left in tears at lunchtime, saying she couldn't cope any more. We did over 700 items with an untrained counter assistant taking the flac while a dispensing assistant imported from a nearby branch and I tried to cope. It was an emergency booking, and I was well-paid, but I won't be going back there.
                        ....just my opinion

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: pharmacists

                          "I have taken this up with the RPSGB and I will keep you informed."

                          any updates?
                          [COLOR=Olive]xxxx They tried to break my back, but i survived. whatever doesn't kill you, will only makes you stronger xxxx
                          [/COLOR]

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            despair pharmacists

                            Originally posted by dilraj sehmi ;PJ Sat, 23/05/2009 - 15:47
                            Pharmacy is like the high maintainance wife who takes and takes, in the end you throw money at her to make sure she bugs you as little as possible while you miserablly try to fill the void with floozies.

                            I tell the society I am stressed, I will make mistakes,I am not getting breaks, I work too long a day, I have targets and if I dont reach them im out of a job, I need support,.... im still waiting..... and the measures they are taking are throwing the problem right back at me.... Its classic management avoidance of a problem technique (refer to Dilbert) . Times have changed community pharmacy is quick, straightforward and to the point responses should be likewise but they are not. I suspect therefore the masses think, '' Why should I bother with pharmacy when it does not bother with me?''
                            work place pressure campaign joined? will GPhC take matters into their hands?

                            Originally posted by Zoggite View Post
                            I'd be surprised if one staff member's errors really were enough to push a pharmacist into resigning from his position... There's probably a lot more to it than your colleague's repeated errors: pressure from management to achieve targets (MURs, script figures, etc...); lack of rewards (financial or otherwise), working atmosphere, travelling distance, lack of working hours flexibility, career options,...
                            I agree with Web Ferret: you shouldn't say anything to your colleague, it's not your place, and it would only poison the atmosphere...
                            agreed

                            "I have taken this up with the RPSGB and I will keep you informed."

                            any updates?
                            must have chucked it in the bin or lost in the post

                            Originally posted by Jeff View Post
                            On members of staff making errors - I try to be open about it - we all make errors and everyone checks everyone else. As we learn which errors we make we work to our strengths when busy and concentrate on our weaknesses when slack.

                            I also note errors/near misses on the patients notes - in order to avoid repetition. e.g. the patient who has loperamide TABLETS because they can't absorb the gelatine. (I also tend to ask the surgery to highlight oddball stuff like that on scripts and also dose/quantity changes to avoid errors induced from just repeating old labels) - it's very much a team approach and the local surgery is part of the team.

                            Jeff
                            good phrase and ideas

                            Originally posted by DavidS View Post
                            I decided that, as I was working half the week, I might be held partly responsible for systemic errors, so I have cut my bookings at that branch to the days when that particular staff member doesn't work, and the remaining one or two days a week is, I think, a sufficiently less percentage of the week so that I am protecting myself as best as I can.

                            Surely we all know dispensaries that we wouldn't go back to? Is there any problem with creating a dispensary review list, which might be a really good way of getting some of these problems resolved.
                            Ah, did not know that, is that true?

                            'Dispensary review list'? sounds good but what is this? are you thinking what i am thinking?
                            i am telling you about pharmacy life in practice, together with my personal opinions i think might be better for pharmacy practices

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X