Becoming a Doctor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Becoming a Doctor

I have been reading a lot of posts about Pharmacy students who really wanted to do medicine but couldn't get into medical school for whatever reason. If a Pharmacist wanted to become a Doctor what would the procedure be, and why is it difficult now for doctors to get jobs?

Re: Becoming a Doctor

Originally posted by parent of pre-reg student View Post
    If a Pharmacist wanted to become a Doctor what would the procedure be,
    Apply to med school?
    and why is it difficult now for doctors to get jobs?
    An unfit for purpose computer system that assigns junior doctors to jobs too late for them to organise their lifes, and increasing competition from non-uk doctors after the same posts.

Jeff

Comment

Yes - apply to med school, but would no concessions be made for having studied Pharmacy for 4 yrs? I believe Medicine is 5 yrs plus a further 2 work placement training?

Comment

Originally posted by parent of pre-reg student View Post
        Yes - apply to med school, but would no concessions be made for having studied Pharmacy for 4 yrs?
        I think that could depend on the school - and the mood they were in on the day.
        I believe Medicine is 5 yrs plus a further 2 work placement training?
        Not sure - was told the other day that the new rules (whatever they are) means it's about 10 years from start to GP practice. The job bottle-neck - I think - occurs in the work placement process.

I'll ask on GP-UK

Jeff

Comment

From GP-UK
          ================================================== =
          * apply to one of the medical schools that takes graduate entrants
          * Yes
          * Yes not just for career grade jobs but for training - and getting
          worse

F

Jeff Green wrote:
          > Not me - but how would a pharmacist go about doing so?
          > Would the course be shortened?
          > And finally is there really much competition for jobs?
          >
          > TIA
          >
          > Jeff
          ================================================

Comment

Hi,

It is possible for any graduate, with a 2:1 or 1:1 degree, to apply to GEP (Graduate entry point) Medicine courses. They're 4 year courses.
            There are currently 16 Unis offering the course and entry is severely competitive. Sometimes there are 60 applicants competing for one place!
            And most Unis take everything into account.I.e - apart from a good degree you'll need good A-Levels, GCSE's, healthcare experience,etc.
            The course normally condenses years 1 and 2 of a normal 5 year medical degree into one year. Then you'll join year 3 cohorts for the 3 last clinical years.
            Entry is also very competitive because on a GEP course you'll entitled for a means-tested bursary and tuition fee grant for years 2,3 and 4. This doesn't happen for the normal 5 year course (only entitled in year 5!).
            It has been done and with the right motivation and a lot of luck it is definitely possible...
            After the GEP course you'll have the normal 2 foundation years and embark on career progression as normal...
            But as it stands at the moment, getting a job and further training is not easy...and is getting worse indeed...
            And there's a lot of confusion going on with "access courses", "widening acess",etc. Entry to medical school is more of a gamble than anything else...
            I hope this helped?!
            A good place to start is:
            Medschoolsonline - A Guide to Getting into Medical School in the UK

Ta
            Last edited by CMart77; 5, May 2008, 02:02 PM. Reason: !!!!

Comment

Working...
            X