Compensation for Relief Pharmacists

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compensation for Relief Pharmacists

As a recruiter I run into several types of pharmacists in my business. Now let me begin by stating that I love my job and 99.99% of the pharmacists I work with are excellent and truly make it a pleasure to come to work. I look at it this way. I get to converse with intelligent and articulate people and I get to increase my learning curve and I get to help people find jobs ......... and I get paid pretty well to do it as well.
    The ones that piss me off are the ones with the attitude that everybody owes them something and they take advantage of the situation of the market place.
    Now I understand the principal of supply and demand, and that you should be compensated appropriately. In our business we generally offer the relief pharmacist about 20-25 % more than the typical staff rate to start rate to offset the lack of benefits and so forth. We don't charge the candidate for this service as our clients pay us to find good people to work for them.
    If mileage is applicable we offer it as well as we build it into the rate with the formula of $ x kms / total hours of the shift or shifts. This is not taxed as heavily as if the usual payroll rate.
    What gets me pissed off is that when the contractor wants driving time as well at the premium rate. This can add as much as 20-25% increase that we have to upcharge the client. Now I might be mistaken but when you are travelling to an assignment you aren't dispensing medication so why should you be paid at the premium pharmacist rate for this travel ??
    We like to be fair to you, if a flight is applicable we fly you in and take care of accommodations, give a meal per diem, and arrange taxi or rental car.
    In my humble opinion if you're a good pharmacist and your rates are competative you'll have no problem finding work. If you fall into the small percentage where you want the world and then some and offer an inferior service as well ......... then you better get a comfortable chair because you'll be sitting in it along time before I'd call you for a gig. So you'd better look at the big picture and understand what's involved from all sides :lol:

Re: Compensation for Relief Pharmacists

Originally posted by Paul25
    What gets me pissed off is that when the contractor wants driving time as well at the premium rate. This can add as much as 20-25% increase that we have to upcharge the client. Now I might be mistaken but when you are travelling to an assignment you aren't dispensing medication so why should you be paid at the premium pharmacist rate for this travel ??:
    Paul,
    I'm regularly interrupted at work by people offering me jobs I don't want, and I could very well demand something like this JUST to piss you off.
    I really don't want to spend two hours itting in trafic just to do a days locum for someone I've never heard of who is so awful to work for that they have to use an agency to find a locum.

In simple worrds - what you are buying is my time - if you don't like the price you dont have to.

It's the same with people phoning at work wanting my opinion for a survey - I have been paid upwards of £100 per hour for my opinion - why should I give the information out for free?

N.B 30 years as a locum and I've not charged for travelling time or mileage yet - it's just something I say to put people off.

Jeff

Comment

Locum Rates

Paul

I also work as a locum in retail. The going hourly rate is pretty much set, but can be negotiable, and milage is also added, as well as bridge tolls, parking costs etc.

I know some pharmacists who really take the p**s though!

I was once working in a pharmacy that usually has two pharmacists. It does 800+ items per day. I got there at my usual 15 minutes early (I hate being late, it's a bad start to the day). During the morning the other guy rang up and said he was on his way. At about 11.30am I had to go over to a shop opposite and give CPR to a guy who had had a heart attack (I later found out) and told the staff to close the shop while I was doing this.

When I got back about 12.15pm the guy had arrived, but the staff told me he wouldn't open the shop until I got back. Now this guy having the heart attack survived, but at that time I thought he was dead, and although I felt I did the best I could, I was feeling a bit upset. I told this locum he had to cover the shop for ten minutes while I had a coffee (ok and a cigarette). When I came back the store was in utter chaos, a queue a mile long, and all the staff and customers moaning.

A quick bit of hard work got us back on track. At around 1.00pm he asked if he could have his lunch. I said ok, and he came back at 2.30pm ! At around 5pm he asked if he could go home. I thought to myself (well you might as well not have been here) but just said ok to him. The store actually closed at 6.30pm I later found out he had charged from 9am, plus an hour's wages travelling each way, and petrol money. He basically earned more then I did, and did about 1/6 of the work.

I have a good reputation as a locum. I am never late (ok once in the last year as I got lost - 10 mins) I always work hard, and I charge a good but reasonable amount. The nightmares I have heard about other locums are never said about me. I am one of the most often asked for, by name, pharmacist in my area, according to the locum agency I work for.

Why do I put all this effort in, when others turn up an hour late armed with their latest book? I do this because I don't want people to think I am lazy, and I do not know that there will always be a shortage of pharmacists. If we have to compete for jobs I feel confident they will want me. The companies I work for have all attempted to recruit me, and have offered virtually any price I have asked (within reason). The reasons I prefer to work as a locum are I only do a four day week ( I am disabled and this makes a big difference to my life), I never work saturdays (hardly ever now) and I like Christmas off!

I often get the calls like Jeff, but I just say "no thanks I am happy as I am". It has never been a problem to me, and it's usually people trying to recruit, just doing their job, earning their own living as we all do.

One company here actually pays you two hours wages, even if you travel or not. I worked for them once in my home town, and the manager knew where I was from, but said to me to charge it anyway as it's standard. Petrol costs vary a bit, but that also seems to be the norm, as I have never asked for it, but was told to charge it by the company I was working for.

So I guess that these things are part of the problem. Every pharmacist seems to negotiate their own deal. If we had standard wages/locum rates up and down the country these problems wouldn't apply.

All I really want to know is Jeff where can I get this survey work that pays £100 per hour please!

Lively debate is encouraged but please respect the opinions and feelings of others.
      Please help keep the forum vibrant by spreading the work to friends and colleagues via word of mouth or social media.
      Thank you for contributing to this site.

Comment

All I really want to know is Jeff where can I get this survey work that pays £100 per hour please!
        It was a referral from a virtual friend on a mailing list (GP-UK). It's a fairly detailed phone interview every 6 months or so - usually about how to market a product - but on the firnges of marketting - will prescribing be hospital or GP led? - which hospital? - advantages of product formulation? -

Phone calls are prearranged and an outline of the questions is sent beforehand.

It's by invitation only I'm afraid.

Jeff

Comment

Survey

Jeff

No problem, thanks for the info.

I hope you keep getting invited.

Lively debate is encouraged but please respect the opinions and feelings of others.
          Please help keep the forum vibrant by spreading the work to friends and colleagues via word of mouth or social media.

Comment

Post subject: Compensation for Relief Pharmacists

To Jeff and Admin. I see your points and they are valid, and we can agree to disagree. Now in my profession I do not get paid travel time or for my fuel to get to and from work. On a bad day it can take an hour or more pending on traffic.
            Now my boss would kick my sorry ass if I asked to be compensated for this situation and that's where I draw the line for the travelling time compensation. If our contractor phrased it that he/she wanted to be paid a bonus which was not at the level of the hourly premium they were getting while at the job the request would be more reasonable as you are paid a premium as a pharmacist not a driver.
            One of the problems we run into are that some of the pharmacists simply ask for too much, and unfortunately like the other pharmacist that admin referred to were in that category that simply provided inferior service.
            To address your concern of receiving phone calls on the job, get used to it as it is a reality of the climate of the industry. Yes you are in demand and that dictates the agencies and other companies will be calling to obtain your services. Although this can sometimes be an annoyance consider this .... if the supply of pharmacists exceeded the demand for service you might be calling me to obtain work and your compensation would be forced lower as you might have to be bidding for an assignment.
            When I make a call I try to be the least intrusive as possible. I introduce myself, the company I represent, and the purpose of my call. Undersatnding that you are busy as we all are I request an alternate arrangement to communicate to continue our conversation. This is usually done in the 10-15 seconds. I usually obtain an alternate phone # or email to continue the dialogue.
            Like I say our business is simply to offer options and if the request is unreasonable to you refuse it as I wouldn't take it personally. We try to find a balance for the client and candidate and we attempt to find the right fit for you in a working environment. I'd suggest instead of being bitter be selective, know your costs, and the going rates and be competative. We try to offer you the best rates in any region and make it as painless as possible. Upon receiving your invoice you are paid within a week.
            The next call you receive from either an agency or company ........ try to understand the purpose of the call and either accept or decline and leave it at that.

Comment

Locum Rates

Paul

I don't really disagree with you. The point of my post was just to let you know what happens here. I never ask for travel costs etc, they are just paid to us. I don't know the history of this or who negotiates it. The agency I use tells me what to charge, and I just go along with that. The person I deal with probably does a similiar job to yourself.

Like I said in my last my last post, I don't have a problem with people ringing me up. I find they are always polite and like you will re-arrange to another time if I am busy. We are all just making a living right?

I know lots of awful locums, as I used to use them when I was a store manager. There was the guy who brought a blow up mattress, because he demanded a two hour sleep during the day! The guy who turned up in jeans and T-shirt, and was asked by an old man if his medication was for his heart. He told him it was, and when the old man left the store burst out laughing. The staff told me he then said "I haven't a clue what those drugs are for, the stupid old b*****d !" The guy who spent half the day in the bookies, because he was addicted to gambling, and lots more I could mention.

Sorry this is sounding sexist! I'll shut up!

Comment

Compensation for Pharmacists

The point I was trying to make is that the job I do is that we try to offer competative compensation to the pharmacist and still be cost effictive for the client so that we can remain in business.
                I just got off the phone with a candidate and after discussing the rates with him he's now rethinking his options as he thinks he's underpaid. Now like yourself not everybody demands travelling time, however those that do are ususally of lesser quality and want more than everyone else.
                I'm all for paying you whatever I can get for you but there are limits as the clients do have budgets as well.
                Not unlike yourselves we have some unique specimens here that would blow your mind. How and why they're still practising pharmacy is beyond me but what can I tell you, the college sure gives them alot of lattitude. I try to be fair with any compensation offer and I ususally start at the top so as not to waist time haggling. I just wish some of these candidates were openminded. :?

Comment

Locum Rates

Paul

I agree with you. I have seen it from both sides, as when I was a store manager I had to arrange my own locum cover. The worst pharmacists seem to think they have the right to do the least work, and get the most pay. I know of a guy here, who won't work for less then double what I charge. I have heard people tell me about his "I won't get out of bed for less then...." speech lots of times. He waits at home and does "emergency" locums, in other words waits until someone is ill etc and sits by the phone waiting for a desperate company to call him. Is he any good? I have not worked with him, but all the staff say very average to lazy!

This situation has obviously resulted from the old "supply and demand" problem. If you got paid for what you actually did, and not just for turning up, a lot of them wouldn't earn a penny. Obviously I want to make a good living for the years I put in to qualify as a pharmacist, but these types make the job a mockery.

I have lost count of the number of times I have been called, because at the last minute somebody got a better offer and did a no show. I think if you agree reasonable terms with a company, or individual store owner, or locum agency the least you can do is turn up on time, and do your job to the best of your ability. I personally feel this is the only way to work, even if just to keep your reputation good, never mind self respect.

To be honest with you Paul, I would find your job hard to do!

Comment

Admin's "sexist"-sounding comments

Admin-
                    your remarks don't strike me as being nearly as sexist as what I perceive the general population to be.
                    If the locums you describe had been female they would have much sooner been jobless, I have no doubts about that!
                    I have stood behind my medicines counter, in my smart white labcoat, and been asked "is your daddy in?"!
                    As soon as there is a male anywhere in the dispensary, whether it be the plumber or the dispenser's eldest son, I cease to exist, he "must" be the Pharmacist, I'm just another shop girl...
                    We all know it: if you see a male & a female member of staff in a hospital, she's the nurse and he's the doctor...
                    Ze genuine Article, present & perfect!

Comment

The next call you receive from either an agency or company ........ try to understand the purpose of the call and either accept or decline and leave it at that.
                      Every pharmacist in the Great Britain has their address registered with the RPSGB - feel free to obtain that address and contact me there - oh yeah they charge - the phone book doesn't.

When at work someone else is paying for my time, and doesn't deserve to have it wasted by me talking to people about things which do not realate to the job in hand.

Your use of the phone during working hours could inconvienience patients or prescribers wanting to contact the pharmacy.

FFS you aren't even phoning ME - you're phoning whichever pharmacist happens to pick up the phone.

I find the practice underhand and offensive - and if there is time I try to discover which company the agency represents - and endevour not to work for them (or increase my charges for the time their representatives have wasted).

If I want an agency to find me work there are loads to choose from, I can register with one when and IF I want to.

Jeff

Comment

Aversion to Agencies

Well Jeff you're entitled to your opinion .......... which in my view is pretty narrow minded but so be it. I understand that you can find work on your own if the demands where you are are as heavy as they are here.
                        I can also admire your convictions regarding the client you're servicing at the time when an inquiring call comes in. When I"m doing a cold call you're absolutely right, I don't know who I'm going to reach as my objective is to speak to the pharmacist on duty.
                        What I do find disturbing is your general attitude and lack of objectivity. Whether you agree with it or not this is business, and it's done in every field every day. If I need a qualified candidate in any position I'm going to go the source to find them. As an adult which I assume you are you of course have the option to listen and explore the possibility or decline it based on what you here.
                        To completely ignore the possibliity is comprable to cutting your nose off to spite your face. Like yourself I'm a professional and I treat the candidates I approach as such. As a consultant I simply bring options to the forefront that they might not have been able to access. Believe it or not alot of large chains deal exclusively with agencies as they find it easier to administer. Even independents do as well as our time and resources are spent to seek out the candidate with the right fit for an assignment.
                        If I called you and you decided to hike up your rates on your principal because an agency called you then I'd advise you either to politely decline or consider getting a comfortable chair as you'd be sitting in it along time before I'd hire you for a job as this attitude might carry over the assignment you'd accept which would do a disservice to my client.
                        Now we can agree to disagree here but lets discuss this intelligently and at least come away with an understanding of the other party's opinion.

Comment

So True!!!

Zoggite

As soon as there is a male anywhere in the dispensary, whether it be the plumber or the dispenser's eldest son, I cease to exist, he "must" be the Pharmacist, I'm just another shop girl...
                          That has happened to me loads of times!
                          :lol:
                          When you say I'm the pharmacist their jaw sometimes drops!
                          ops:
                          Aren't about 51% of pharmacists in the UK women?

Comment

Paul,
                            Whether you agree with it or not this is business,
                            So is the arms trade - I want nothing to do with that either :wink:

Jeff

Comment

Re: So True!!!

Originally posted by admin
                              Zoggite

That has happened to me loads of times!
                              :lol:
                              When you say I'm the pharmacist their jaw sometimes drops!
                              ops:
                              Aren't about 51% of pharmacists in the UK women?
                              haha, i read somewhere that its like 60% women?
                              When i told my stats teacher i was applying for pharmacy she said something like "isnt pharmacy a female dominated career?" :?

Comment

Working...
                              X