Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Info about Pay Scale

Hi,

I am pharmacist, I graduated from India. I am working as a regulatory pharmacist in Malaysia. I like to register with Royal Pharmaceutical Society GB. I know about the procedure for registering. I need more information about the Pay Scale for pharmacist (particullary during Pre-reg), the job opportunity for pharmacist and the cost of living in the UK.

Regards,

Shahul

Re: Info about Pay Scale

took a pre-reg on for £18,000 for year, based in london.

Comment

Originally posted by RedJimmyG View Post
      took a pre-reg on for £18,000 for year, based in london.

That works out at just over £1100 take home per month (see here Free UK PAYE Income Tax Calculator 2008. Updated for 2008 / 2009 budget. )

For cost of living google it or look here ( Cost of Living in the UK, Cost of living London, Cost of living England )

I'm not looking forward to pre-reg, another financially challenging year.
      Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time.
      (T. Pratchett)

Comment

Do you know roughly how much tax, national insurance and pension contribution should be deducted from a Band 5 hospital pre-reg's pay at about £18500 p a? Can you opt out of the pension? What if you leave the NHS say within 5 yrs - can you claim it back or is it frozen until you are of pensionable age?
        Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by parent of pre-reg student View Post
          Do you know roughly how much tax, national insurance and pension contribution should be deducted from a Band 5 hospital pre-reg's pay at about £18500 p a? Can you opt out of the pension? What if you leave the NHS say within 5 yrs - can you claim it back or is it frozen until you are of pensionable age?
          Thanks
          For information about NHS pension scheme see here NHS Pension Scheme in England and Wales

£18500 is around £1200 per month take home according to the link I posted previously. You can opt out of pension but may be cheaper not to for various reasons, you should seek financial advice to make a sound decision.

Actually was just playing on the tax calculator and paying an NHS pension of around 5% reduces you monthly income by £50, as you pay less NI. Still seek proper advice and check it out for yourself.
          Last edited by paul2008; 27, April 2008, 05:55 PM.
          (T. Pratchett)

Comment

for a foreign student lookin for a pre-reg place a salary in the region of 14-15K would be more realistic, after tax bout 11K i think,
            We are the music makers, We are the dreamers of dreams and God damn we are that good

Comment

Originally posted by SolomonQ View Post
              for a foreign student lookin for a pre-reg place a salary in the region of 14-15K would be more realistic, after tax bout 11K i think,
              I think you got a bad deal, Solomon, it all depends on if you apply on time for good jobs and how presentable you are. From experience you do okay as a foreigner but get penalised heavily for being disorganised or if you don't appear confident and friendly. Some employers actually prefer overseas pharmacists because there are often more mature and realistic than new graduates. Some don't I know.
              (T. Pratchett)

Comment

im personally on alot more, but ive got friends here and other people I know (quite alot of them) who are on the range I gave, and these re students from this country (just like I am), so unless one gets job with a largish multiple, 14-15K is what can be expected,
                We are the music makers, We are the dreamers of dreams and God damn we are that good

Comment

Originally posted by SolomonQ View Post
                  im personally on alot more, but ive got friends here and other people I know (quite alot of them) who are on the range I gave, and these re students from this country (just like I am), so unless one gets job with a largish multiple, 14-15K is what can be expected,
                  Really it all depends on how you present yourself, however in my experiance, overseas pharmacists often have an edge over new graduates as I mentioned, its called life experiance. Had some friends who turned down those jobs, I think they found something better.

I'm not saying that there are not a lot of people at 14-15K but if you aim high and are presentable you have a greater chance of a better job. To be fair range of offers is probably 12K to 18K but I would probably not settle for the lower end the second time round, already got the tee-shirt.
                  (T. Pratchett)

Comment

Working...
                  X