Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• demand and supply

Hiya

Do you think that the supply will be more then demand?
    obvioulsy this will effect locuming but will this cause unemployment in the proffesion.

Thank You

Re: demand and supply

In a few years, yes of course.

Comment

Which raises the question: will pharmacists in the near future move away from locuming and go towards a standard job, for fear of not being able to get enough locum assignments?

Comment

There is roughly a fixed nbr of pharmacists required to fill jobs. 100 fewer pharmacists available, present situation. With an extra 100 pharmacists, then possibility of unemployment. Ie classic economic law of supply and demand.
        johnep

Comment

Originally posted by johnep View Post
          There is roughly a fixed nbr of pharmacists required to fill jobs. 100 fewer pharmacists available, present situation. With an extra 100 pharmacists, then possibility of unemployment. Ie classic economic law of supply and demand.
          johnep
          Supply shouldn't be a probem.
          GPhC would just give itself powers to register anyone they think could do the work.
          I think there's something under consultation at the moment.
          The NPA aren't happy.
          47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
          2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
          How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

Yes, this is why there is pressure to allow a pharmacist to supervise two pharmacies and be away from the pharmacy. The multiples would love remote supervision from Indian Video centre.

Pharmacists are seen as an unfortunately necessary expensive evil at present.
            johnep

Comment

Supply and demand has been a big issue of the past in the US. Currently demand outweighs supply which equals more bargaining power and salary for the profession. Here in the US, the pharmacy schools are the gatekeepers...they control the "spicket" to which pharmacists are let into the system. Presently around 85 schools of pharmacy in the US. Most require PCAT test and entrance interview to weed out candidates. Most have limits on class size and most students have a bachelor's degree before even applying (some schools have a 10:1 application to acceptance ratio). This all helps to control entrance into the profession, which is ultimately in the best interest of the pharmacist (in terms of job security and salary). Couple that with the standard requirement of a residency or two and potentially board certification and the requirement for entering clinical pharmacy is even greater. My final point being, until there is strict control on entrance into the profession based on demand of the profession, job security will be at risk.

Comment

Working...
              X