Queries from blister packs!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Queries from blister packs!

Ok i would be really grateful if someone could shed some light on two items that i came across today at work,, Please remember im still learning and asking lots of annoying questions as a prereg who is desparate to understand more!!

Metronidazole 400mg as a single dose at night- Indication? Patient had been on it regularly for months, i dont know why and as these patients are blister packs i cannot ask them! Its so frustrating!! Im guessing prophalyxis against an anaerobic infection...!??! Also is 400mg appropriate for prophylaxis?
    Im not sure, any thoughts appreciated!

Also prednisilone 7.5 qds-morning, noon, tea time, night, I was of the opinion that prednisilone was always given in one lot in the morning to mimic cortesol production, is there an indication that would require it spaced out in this way? Could it be to minimise side effects? Thats about all my brain can come up with,

Thankyou, Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Re: Queries from blister packs!

Trimethoprim often given prophylactically to children. Metronidazole sometimes given in single dose of 2g, never come across given nightly, Does pt have a catheter?.

Yep, steroids usually given in one dose. Maybe Dr was american where qd means once daily.

Have come across bd dosage but not four times a day.
    johnep

Comment

No -no catheter,, it boggled me, and i think i was annoying my pharmacist with aswell with my 'but why' queries!! These things keep me awake at night, i need to know if there is a reason im overlooking, its silly really.

Comment

Wild guess at Chrohn's - you could always ask the surgery - and check that the BNFs suggested monitoring is being done for treatments courses greater than 3 months.

Jeff

Comment

As a wildcard guess, antabuse has had some supply problems I think--could it be for alcoholism?

Comment

id say metronidazole for post surgery prophylaxis and the prednisolone for watever but its probably too upsetting to stomach so taken in divided doses. Best to check other medication in the blister as this gives an indication as to what the medicine is for. also doctors have the powert o prescribe drugs off-license, so theretically they can prescribe an antibiotic to treat pain in feet(???) although no such evidence exists (hope so coz i just made this up), so you still wouldnt know unless you check the patients notes.

We have regular patients who have the same repeat medicnes but we still dont know the exact condition for which they take it.
            We are the music makers, We are the dreamers of dreams and God damn we are that good

Comment

Divided steroid doses seriously bug me. If we have someone addmitted with spinal cord compression secondary to a cancer, we give them 16mg dexamethasone (equiv. to 240mg prednisolone). So often have I come across this as 4mg qds or 8mg bd. I bent the ear of the SHO who prescribed it, and it basically came down to the fact that it was a lot of steroid and they were too nervous to prescribe it all as an od dose! They'd Rx'd it at 08:00 and 18:00hrs - the patient told me that they weren't sleeping very well and had odd dreams...
              Band6 is a Band 6 no longer.. now 7/8a

Comment

Working...
              X