question from pre-reg sample paper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• question from pre-reg sample paper

it's saturday afternoon and mrs g visits your pharmacy to ask for your help. her husband has lost his salbutamol inhaler and as he usually needs to use it once or twice a day she wonders if you could let him have a replacement to use over the weekend. you are aware that he is regularly prescribed a salbutamol inhaler by his doctor at the dose requested and feel that there is an immediate need for the medication. your pharmacy is not authorised to use a pgd in this situation

1. it would be unlawful to provide the emergency supply
    2. salbutamol is a selective beta2 adrenoreceptor agonist

so ive answered this months ago and got it right :
    the first statement was true and the second true but not an explanation of the first

now im lookin at it-and im unsure of how the first statement is right-how is it right

its pbly so easy but im ?
    i thought even if we didnt do it under pgd we could still supply it
    we can interview a patient's rep yeah?

Re: question from pre-reg sample paper

Originally posted by stefg123 View Post
    it's saturday afternoon and mrs g visits your pharmacy to ask for your help. her husband has lost his salbutamol inhaler and as he usually needs to use it once or twice a day she wonders if you could let him have a replacement to use over the weekend. you are aware that he is regularly prescribed a salbutamol inhaler by his doctor at the dose requested and feel that there is an immediate need for the medication. your pharmacy is not authorised to use a pgd in this situation

2. salbutamol is a selective beta2 adrenoreceptor agonist

so ive answered this months ago and got it right :
    the first statement was true and the second true but not an explanation of the first

now im lookin at it-and im unsure of how the first statement is right-how is it right

its pbly so easy but im ?
    i thought even if we didnt do it under pgd we could still supply it
    we can interview a patient's rep yeah?
    1. Is not correct. It is your discretion whether or not to provide emergency supply.
    2. Is correct.
    47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
    2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
    How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

No problem. Ventolin is the most frequent emergency supply. I have a standard form whivh I get the pt/carer to fill in. Keeps them busy and stops them expecting just to be handed a Ventolin there and then.

Emergency Supply of Medication

Date:-…………………….

Patient's Reason for request:…………………………………..

Patient Name:-…………………………………………………
      (Block Capitals)
      D.O.B:-…………………….. Post Code:-…………………….

Address:-……………………………………………………….

Item(s) Required:-……………………………………………..
      (Name, Strength,Dosage etc)

…………………………………………………………………
      NB: There is NO provision for Emergency Supply under the NHS. Any supplied medicine will have to be paid for.

Patient Doctor Details:-

Name:-…………………………………………………………

Address:-………………………………………………………

Patient or representative signature:-……………………………
      (Block capitals as well for representative)

……………………………………….

Prescription Book Ref:-…………………………..

johnep

Comment

Originally posted by johnep View Post
        No problem. Ventolin is the most frequent emergency supply. I have a standard form whivh I get the pt/carer to fill in. Keeps them busy and stops them expecting just to be handed a Ventolin there and then.

Emergency Supply of Medication

Date:-…………………….

Patient's Reason for request:…………………………………..

Patient Name:-…………………………………………………
        (Block Capitals)
        D.O.B:-…………………….. Post Code:-…………………….

Address:-……………………………………………………….

Item(s) Required:-……………………………………………..
        (Name, Strength,Dosage etc)

NB: There is NO provision for Emergency Supply under the NHS. Any supplied medicine will have to be paid for.

Patient Doctor Details:-

Name:-…………………………………………………………

Address:-………………………………………………………

Patient or representative signature:-……………………………
        (Block capitals as well for representative)

……………………………………….

Prescription Book Ref:-…………………………..

johnep
        Nice one John,
        Send it to cegedim and ask if they will put it into Pharmacy Manager as a standard leaflet.
        How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

Shoudl only supply to patient when patient is present. Should only supply to a representative if there's no other option. In this siuation I would query the following:

(a) What time in the afternoon is it? If it's near closing I may want to go home on time and thus supply. If not, I would get Mr G to walk to the pharmacy. The walk will probably do him good and will be less likely to 'forget' his prescription in the future if he has to make an effort with emergency supply.

(b) Is Mrs G usually ungrateful or rude? If so I would then ask for Mr G.

Comment

First statement true ie illegal to supply as it is a third party request. Page 14 of current MEP states must be person requesting the medication so although wife requesting it is not for her and hence pharmacist cannot assess if need is urgent etc.

In practice 3rd party supplies are made in the interest of the patient for those who are housebound etc but exam is for by the book answers.
            Titch

Comment

Originally posted by Titch View Post
              First statement true ie illegal to supply as it is a third party request. Page 14 of current MEP states must be person requesting the medication so although wife requesting it is not for her and hence pharmacist cannot assess if need is urgent etc.

In practice 3rd party supplies are made in the interest of the patient for those who are housebound etc but exam is for by the book answers.
              OOps, forgot that - so used to knowing everyone who comes in the shop around here for the last "N" years and checking the PMR for supply patterns and gaps.
              Textbook answers only from now on.

Can I admonish myself - it saves a trip to London, especially as its snowing there today.
              How times change.

Comment

thanks
                because ive been watching my tutor and everyone give em supplies to representatives then thats why i thought it would be ok

but have to go by the book-tutor could have told me this!!!!

same with giving otc to pregnant women-my tutor refuses blank to give anything to a pregnant women-anything!!!!-so all along ive been ok they cant have this-even though i check the bnf-but an exam q popped up and i didnt give the patient anything

tutor told me afterwards

Comment

also if its a child with an inhaler and his mum comes in
                  then although we pbly supply
                  the correct answer would be that its still unlawful right

Comment

Often get pregnant women asking if so and so OK.
                    Usually, Amoxicillin, paracetamol and gaviscon have been given to thousands of pregnant women without recorded ill effects. All new drugs would have caution on pack.
                    johnep

Comment

also if its a child with an inhaler and his mum comes in
                      then although we pbly supply
                      the correct answer would be that its still unlawful right

Gray area - as such highly unlikely to come up on the exam.

It would technically depend if child deemed competent or not.
                      Titch

Comment

Originally posted by Titch View Post
                        Gray area - as such highly unlikely to come up on the exam.

It would technically depend if child deemed competent or not.
                        Yup, stick with what's laid down in the MEP in an exam.

But just remember that real
                        life is somewhat different. I, may, allegedly have known a pharmacist who supplied an ES of Ventolin for a child whilst only the mother was present. Additionally, the mother/child were not from outside of the UK and had never seen a UK doctor.

Nuffin' to do with me tho

Comment

Originally posted by N.T View Post
                          Yup, stick with what's laid down in the MEP in an exam.

But just remember that real
                          life is somewhat different. I, may, allegedly have known a pharmacist who supplied an ES of Ventolin for a child whilst only the mother was present. Additionally, the mother/child were not from outside of the UK and had never seen a UK doctor.

Nuffin' to do with me tho
                          Yeah, right.
                          And you always stick to the speed limit on the motorway, too.
                          Ze genuine Article, present & perfect!

Comment

Originally posted by Zoggite View Post
                            Yeah, right.
                            And you always stick to the speed limit on the motorway, too.
                            And what about your responsibility to the welfare of the patient. ie if the patient dies and you hadnt supplied the inhaler. I feel in a court of law if you can justify your actions and show that in the same situation another pharmacist would do the same thing you should be OK (wouldnt like to test it though)
                            And as for the exam - go by the book.

What about the scenario of an anaphylactic shock within or outside the pharmacy do you supply and administer the epipen (POM) or watch the person die? or call an ambulance?

Comment

Originally posted by BOBPHARM View Post
                              And what about your responsibility to the welfare of the patient. ie if the patient dies and you hadnt supplied the inhaler. I feel in a court of law if you can justify your actions and show that in the same situation another pharmacist would do the same thing you should be OK (wouldnt like to test it though)
                              And as for the exam - go by the book.

What about the scenario of an anaphylactic shock within or outside the pharmacy do you supply and administer the epipen (POM) or watch the person die? or call an ambulance?
                              Adrenaline isn't a POM if it's used for saving life in an emergency, so not a problem.
                              http://www.rpsgb.org/pdfs/LEBadrenemergency.pdf

Comment

Working...
                              X