CRC on Antibiotic Liquids

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CRC on Antibiotic Liquids

Are we supposed to put CRC's on after reconstituting an antibiotic mixture or just use original cap?

Re: CRC on Antibiotic Liquids

Strictly speaking should change to crc cap. I always follow pharmacy policy.
    johnep

Comment

had an occasion about 3 years ago, when mother come storming in to pharmacy about how child drank whole bottle of tasty antibiotic[ cant remember which one now] as no crc was on the bottle. luckily for me it was another pharmacist who had dispensed it. since then i have always used crc cap. it is much safer?? what annoys me is when i am in some dispensaries and i ask dispensers to change the top, they tell me we don't do it here as our pharmacist does not do it !!!!!!!!!!!!! AARRRRHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!.THEY MAKE MY BLOOD BOIL????????????

Comment

It's up to you to a certain extent.....

.....the Soc's view is approx as follows:

The MHRA asks manufacturers to supply all meds with CRC where possible.

The MHRA has passed PLs for these antibiotics without CRCs.

Therefore, there must be a good reason why these products are not packaged with a CRC by the manufacturers - sufficient for the MHRA to accept no CRC.

Therefore, putting a CRC on would presumably cause a problem.

Therefore, adding a CRC could invalidate the PL and put product liability entirely on you.

Maybe a comment/report to MHRA/NPSA could see more progress?
        Employed again... paid holidays! Yipee

Comment

YES, i had checked with npa in the past about product license nullification of putting crc on antibiotic liquids . does any one know if a 7- 10 day life of a made up antibiotic with crc cap will cause it to deteriorate ?????????? .i have not seen any literature on it, or anyone know any thing about crc caps causing any problems other than liability passing on to the pharmacist. what could be the possible problems? i can only think of leakeage if crc caps does not fit the bottle. Or should we put them all in glass bottles or is that a problem too?

Comment

Certain makes do leak badly with a CRC on for some reason. I have tried different makes of CRC as well and still they leak!

had an occasion about 3 years ago, when mother come storming in to pharmacy about how child drank whole bottle of tasty antibiotic[ cant remember which one now] as no crc was on the bottle.
            The mother should have taken some responsibility and kept medicine out of childs reach. She can't blame pharmacist for her stupidity. She probably lets her kids play with matches!!!

Comment

Originally posted by narav View Post
              had an occasion about 3 years ago, when mother come storming in to pharmacy about how child drank whole bottle of tasty antibiotic[ cant remember which one now] as no crc was on the bottle.
              About 20 years ago one of my patients said that their child had drunk a bottle of Quellada Lotion - which they had been keeping in the fridge!!!

Do we change the tops on dispensary packs of Calpol or Peptac?

Jeff

Comment

Don't CRC (click-lock) type closures experience a phenomenon called 'backing off'? This is were the lid 'loosens' itself if you over-tighten them. It might be due to the pressure of the wadding acting like a spring.

By the way we have a policy of labelling methadone....
                If there is more than one dose in the container....
                "Ensure that the cap is replaced securely on the container after taking a dose. When empty rinse the container and cap with water before disposal"

If it is a single dose...
                "When empty rinse the container and cap with water before disposal"

So that no-one can say we didn't tell them.
                My old physics teacher used to say to us "common sense is everything but common".

He would probably say now, "The welfare state - money and methadone".
                47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
                2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
                How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

as far as i can see if non-crc were a problem actions would have been taken with the manufacturers by the designated authorities. Although for patient welfare if it is deemed that replacing a cap with a crc is beneficial to patient then it should be done. but it does clearly say to keep the medicine out of the reach of children so this should put no liability on the pharmacy.

just to ammend the quote: "The welfare state - money and methadone"

id say: "The welfare state - money, methadone and leniency for any crime commited"
                  We are the music makers, We are the dreamers of dreams and God damn we are that good

Comment

Working...
                  X