non-alcohol cough and other syrups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• non-alcohol cough and other syrups

I was wondering what cough and other liquid medications contain instead of alcohol in islamic countries as alcohol is prohibited in islam. also muslim countries' stance on drugs that might have similar effects to alcohol e.g. temazepam, anyone know???
    We are the music makers, We are the dreamers of dreams and God damn we are that good

Re: non-alcohol cough and other syrups

I think the robitussin range is alcohol free but "always read the label" to make sure.

Its a few years since I worked in Bradford when I knew the answers to these types of question.

The "is the gelatin from vegetable or animal" was another regular question.

Comment

i might sound stupid but can you get gelatin from vegetables?
      We are the music makers, We are the dreamers of dreams and God damn we are that good

Comment

Trouble is that 'alcohol' is a big NO. So creams with cetostearyl alcohol, wool alcohols also rejected. isopropyl alcohol in medicines or ear drops also NBG.

We used to sell perfumes to arabia formulated with light liquid paraffin.

'Bint el Sudan' very popular in North Africa. If you told a customer product formulated with ethanol, most would be happy.

No problem with psychtropics as did not exist when Koran written. the 'assassins' and Mahdis in Sudan used hashish freely.

When in Trinidad, I went on boat trip where once out of sight, bottles of rum were produced. I queried this and one of the men laughed and said 'Trinidad is long way from India'.
        johnep

Comment

gelatin from vegetables, no, but starch will form a film and this can be used for capsules.
          johnep

Comment

Hey Solly.. you Do sound stupid.
            Don't Stop Believing

http://youtube.com/watch?v=rnT7nYbCSvM

Comment

"Hey Solly.. you Do sound stupid."

if you are joking , it sounds funny lol

but i think its a bit offensive mate
              [COLOR=Olive]xxxx They tried to break my back, but i survived. whatever doesn't kill you, will only makes you stronger xxxx
              [/COLOR]

Comment

i understand fleeg's anger with solly but i don't think he's gone about things in the right way. I just hope Elaine is understanding about it...
                “It's not worth doing something unless you were doing something that someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren't doing.”

Terry Pratchett

Comment

He's shown I was right about him all along. Bless his soul, he seems to be as shallow as his doggy costume.

Comment

solly, i really wouldn't gloat if i was you - it's most unbecoming.
                    “It's not worth doing something unless you were doing something that someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren't doing.”

Terry Pratchett

Comment

i'm not gloating,merely reflecting and pointing out the abvious, and I do have a right to reply to anything said against me. for me all this matter was closed a few posts back when someone requested me to stop, but Fleegle had other ideas, look back through the posts, the swearing and the name calling wasn't on my part, even until the end, shouldnt a pharmacist know better?

and Sir Dispensalot you should express impartiality in this rather than taking a side depending on how long you've known someone

Comment

Originally posted by SolomonQ View Post
                        and Sir Dispensalot you should express impartiality in this rather than taking a side depending on how long you've known someone
                        I don't think you should even begin to dare dictate to me who i do or do not speak to OR which so-called 'side' I take in any matter. My opinions are my own, formed from my own experiences and beliefs in life and for your information i do not approve of the way fleegle has handled himself in this 'matter' with you - which i have already made clear in previous posts. I was merely expressing an opinion that one shouldn't gloat over an apparant 'victory' over another as i feel it is most unbecoming of a professional (I hope that you have indeed now finished pre-reg and joined our ranks as a fellow professional).

I sincerely hope that your attitude problem displayed towards me, other posters and even some of the new joiners is not reflected in your professional life and the treatment of your patients as you would do both yourself and them a great disservice.

Try to display a little more empathy!

Terry Pratchett

Comment

The dilemma is, sugar is an alkohol!

Comment

Originally posted by johannes View Post
                            The dilemma is, sugar is an alkohol!
                            oh yes! The COOH group! But i just looked at the structure of it on wikipedia - I can't see a COOH group anywhere!

That really would have been a fly in the ointment and no mistake!

Isn't medinol (paracetamol SF120/5 and 250/5) Halal now?

Aha! Just looked on my shelf - pholcodine linctus is alcohol free, care glycerin honey & lemon, veno's tickly, dry & chesty and at a long shot beechams all in one tablets

Terry Pratchett

Comment

oh yes! The COOH group! But i just looked at the structure of it on wikipedia - I can't see a COOH group anywhere
                              the alcohol group is an -OH, glucose alone has five of these in one molecule (according to Wikipedia), while the -COOH your on about is actually a carboxylic acid, muslims have no problem with things like vinegar (ethanoic acid)

only liquid prep ive got here with me is sudafed and surprisingly thats also alcohol free, someone must be distilling the alcohol off and enjoying themselves

Comment

Working...
                              X