nurses and pharmacists!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nurses and pharmacists!!

i know this could have been posted in the hospital pharmacy category but this is a general question about the attitude of nurses towards pharmacists.

doctor and pharmacist relationship is one that is well talked about but that is not discussed very often is the professional relationship of nurses and pharmacists.

Although nurses ive seen have been generally quite nice and polite etc...I've also observed that many nurses seem to be quite arrogant, especially the ones that have prescribing rights, maybe its because they think theyre on the level of doctors.

I would assume that the unwritten hierarchy in healthcare (e.g. patient's mindset, hospital etc...) for the three professions is nurses-pharmacists-doctors in that order with the doctors at the top, is my assumption correct? Is that how things are percieved in hospital? Would be really useful because ive got three weeks hospital placement coming up next few weeks, would like to know where I stand with different professions.

I would also hope for people to provide their good or bad experience with nurses and also how do nurses view pharmacists in hospital setting and maybe primary care setting too.

thank you
    We are the music makers, We are the dreamers of dreams and God damn we are that good

Re: nurses and pharmacists!!

Originally posted by SolomonQ View Post
    i know this could have been posted in the hospital pharmacy category but this is a general question about the attitude of nurses towards pharmacists.

doctor and pharmacist relationship is one that is well talked about but that is not discussed very often is the professional relationship of nurses and pharmacists.

Although nurses ive seen have been generally quite nice and polite etc...I've also observed that many nurses seem to be quite arrogant, especially the ones that have prescribing rights, maybe its because they think theyre on the level of doctors.

I would assume that the unwritten hierarchy in healthcare (e.g. patient's mindset, hospital etc...) for the three professions is nurses-pharmacists-doctors in that order with the doctors at the top, is my assumption correct? Is that how things are percieved in hospital? Would be really useful because ive got three weeks hospital placement coming up next few weeks, would like to know where I stand with different professions.

I would also hope for people to provide their good or bad experience with nurses and also how do nurses view pharmacists in hospital setting and maybe primary care setting too.

thank you
    Solomon,
    I would say based on relationships here in the U.S., you are generally correct. However in our organization, the "gap" between nurses and pharmacists is great. Nurses understand our role here and rely on us for our expertise. Training levels are certainly different, as well as confidence when prescribing (even if under protocol). I would say this is somewhat true for the nurse practitioners that I work with as well.
    In hospitals here in the U.S., you may find a different story, especially in areas such as critical care, etc. Pharmacy here has carved their own niche and I think based on professional exptertise, cannot be questioned by nursing. If you are current on prescribing practices and evidence-based medicine, these fires (if they surface) can be extinguished quickly. I think it is in everyone's best interest if teams work together and rely on each other's expertise and training. Believe me, some nurses here try to boss the docs around and when confronted, it simply doesn't fly...

Comment

'respect' on utube says it all.
      johnep

Comment

I know nothing of hospitals - but I'd have imagined that the general pecking order would leave a nearly qualified anything on a three week placement very near the bottom.

Jeff

Comment

not everyone knows your there for only three weeks, some might think youve been transfered over and will be there for good.
          We are the music makers, We are the dreamers of dreams and God damn we are that good

Comment

not everyone knows your there for only three weeks, some might think youve been transfered over and will be there for good.
            Hi Solomon,

You still start at the bottom of the pecking order, perhaps after 3 weeks you may have a place one rung up....if a new member of staff joins

I learnt a long time ago that people who work in a place long term resent people who come in, especially if the criticize or say this is how things should be done and back home pharmacists have a reputation for not staying, so people say "ignore him he won't last".

I spent months earning the respect and trust that other staff (including doctors, nurses and dispensers) eventually showed me, but at least after that I knew that if they didn't agree, they would still say "that's rubbish Paul" instead of doing what they wanted without telling me.

Its really hard work getting accepted into the system and not really much to do with how valuable you think you are or how much you know.

As usual my personal opinion probably does not represent that of any organisation or group.

Regards,
            Paul
            Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time.
            (T. Pratchett)

Comment

A career built on the art of deception - you should go far.

Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff View Post
                A career built on the art of deception - you should go far.

Jeff
                Future area manager material definitely. After a few years (or weeks) of that who knows.
                I'm watching my back already.
                47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
                2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
                How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

If a nurse appears arrogant and maybe pretentious, pose a question regarding a drug from an area outside that which they work. Their answer will reveal why you are employed and will probably boost your confidence.

Comment

surprised to learn how much ACT actually know in hospital, worked with a ACT in community for some time, man she was a lazy ******,

i suppose i remember a medical student who was a friend once telling me he was surprised how much nurses know in hospital and also was once surprised to see me studying physiology

Comment

Only Me !!
                      Don't Stop Believing

http://youtube.com/watch?v=rnT7nYbCSvM

Comment

Working...
                      X