How do pharmacist's remember so much?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do pharmacist's remember so much?

Do you have to have a really good memory when practising as a pharmacist? How do pharmacist's remember so much information? Does it just naturally sink in as you work more and familiarise yourself with everything?

Re: How do pharmacist's remember so much?

After nearly 60 years it all just comes naturally. I would claim to know something about everything but not in depth. you just need to know where to find the info. BNF, DT, Stockley, Martindale and the net cover virtually everything. These forums will deal with the rest. the answer is out there somewhere.
    johnep

Comment

yep as johnep said , you cannot possibly know everything. you need to know where to find everything via the literature.if a pharmacy has internet then i have found it to be extremely useful, especially when asked obscure questions not easily found in the usual pharmacy literature. BUT how many pharmacies have this facility

Comment

Originally posted by meaniebeanie View Post
        Do you have to have a really good memory when practising as a pharmacist? How do pharmacist's remember so much information? Does it just naturally sink in as you work more and familiarise yourself with everything?
        Generally, if you know it; you remember it when you need to.
        Many things seem removed from what you learn at Uni, but a lot of it is ground to plant things in.
        Don't be frightened of looking things up if you need to.
        47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
        2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
        How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

Originally posted by meaniebeanie View Post
          I know nothing.
          If it's something you want to do phone the NPA - if it's something you'd rather not do phone the RPSGB.

If it's about payment - phone the local PPA.

Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff View Post
            I know nothing.
            If it's something you want to do phone the NPA - if it's something you'd rather not do phone the RPSGB.

If it's about payment - phone the local PPA.

Jeff

nicely put Jeff, but the cogs spin alot smoother if you know most stuff that comes your way,

alot of the stuff is learnt through experience as in a pharmacy you have to deal with real products and real life, unlike at university where you find out about atorvastatin but they never tell you its brand name is lipitor, or that the simvastatin came as a zocor before it lost its patent. Imagine knowing all about the stain their pharmacology, interactions etc.. but a patient walks in and enquires about zocor, pharmacist woudnt look god if s/he know what it was, although in this instance there is zocor heart-pro but no one wuld by it because its too expensive etc...

also many patients keep taking the branded version even after the generic comes out, so newer pharmacists might not be familiar that fosamax was alendronic acid etc... many such cases can be hypothesised. the best thing to do infront of a pateint is to keep your composure in front of the patient and know where to get different types of information and be prepared for ero-sources to refer if working as a locum.

on your way!
            We are the music makers, We are the dreamers of dreams and God damn we are that good

Comment

yeah i have that problem too.cos i ve just come into the uk from Nigeria onlly to realise that the system is qiute diiferent .i ve been under a lot of pressure to read and sometimes when i need to remember some stuff i start asking myself how i got through pharm school.though i do remember some i must say they are not all in my head st once.
              i also need to get advice on how i can get pharmacy text books and study materials.i also need to know if there are short courses that pharmacists can take cos i would love to do that

Comment

I think Pharmacist's have an external hard-drive plugged into their skulls!

Actually, saying that I'm a second year and have been working for a multiple for the past 17months and it scares me how much I know already!! I think I have a map of the shelving system and the dispensary imprinted on my eyelids as I can tell you exactly where things are, and I'm getting pretty good at the whole random patient queries thing ...

Practical work-experience is definately the way to go ...
                wake up and smell the 1,3,7-trimethyl-1H-purine-2,6(3H,7H)-dione

Comment

Working...
                X