Warfarin and INR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warfarin and INR

Several scripts for warfarin yesterday, but did not query any. All written 'follow directions given by the hospital'.
    What exactly are we supposed to do under new recommendation from NPSA.?

What happens when neighbour or carer collects script?
    johnep

Re: Warfarin and INR

The directions are likely to change from week to week so I would leave it as that. If you change to 4 od for example, theis could be wrong for 3 of the 4 weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by johnep View Post
      Several scripts for warfarin yesterday, but did not query any. All written 'follow directions given by the hospital'.
      What exactly are we supposed to do under new recommendation from NPSA.?

What happens when neighbour or carer collects script?
      johnep
      http://www.npsa.nhs.uk/EasySiteWeb/G...aspx?alId=5257

You probably couldn't find the document as it is mis-named "anticugulant".

If the patient or carer is collecting the script, just put a note in with the medication to remind the patient that warfarin needs to be monitored etc etc.
      I wonder if there is one in Pharmacy Manager?
      47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
      2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
      How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

Been a while since I read document - so from memory:

GPs encouraged to prescribe dosage as a strength not as a number of tablets, and have to see proof monitoring is up to date before Rxing.

Pharmacists have to ask to see yellow book or equivalent to confirm dose, and to check that monitoring is happening.

I've been waiting for 4-6 weeks now for my PCT to come out with guidance that they say they are writing. GPs want clarification as to whether they have to Rx as dose or "take as directed in INR book". Since they will need to see book etc before prescribing, no reason why they cannot add dose to script but arguement is if 100 warfarin 1mg given then likely to last a while so dose could change before they are used - hence "take as per latest instructions in yellow book/from warfarin clinic" is my preferred wording so far.
        Titch

Comment

All our Homes have been told to send a copy of the latest hospital/warfarin clinic letter along with the Rx.

Comment

Working...
          X