strange acetazolamide directions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• strange acetazolamide directions

. . got a private Rx for acetazolamide 250mg tablets one three times a day starting 1-2 days before ascent and for 3 days at highest altitude. 60 tablets.

Patient also brought in a private doxyxcyline Rx (malaria)

Patients sister dropped off Rx and patient is still to pick up, she is 24, only info I gathered was she was going travelling 'everywhere'. I have no patient record as she has never visited us before.

1. Cant be to control epilepsy can it, if only using for a short period.
    2. Glaucoma - possibly! if shes travelling to a higher altitude, could intra-occular pressure increase as you get higher??? quite young for gluacoma but not unheard of.

Spoke to an optom mate of mine and she'd never heard of acetazolamide used like that.

Any thought folks?

Re: strange acetazolamide directions

acetazolamide is used for altitude sickness. Patient could be off trekking in Nepal/South America/Kilimanjaro in africa??

Altitude or Mountain Sickness - The Travel Doctor

Comment

Originally posted by JonF View Post
      acetazolamide is used for altitude sickness. Patient could be off trekking in Nepal/South America/Kilimanjaro in africa??

Altitude or Mountain Sickness - The Travel Doctor
      Genious - how did you know that? Have you been trekking before or is it something I should already know.

Thanks for the reply, very very helpful.

Comment

Was in Nepal in 1997 as part of my 'travels' and went to a lecture about trekking in the Himalaya(had a few days to kill as wife was in bed with Delhi belly!!).

Part of the lecture was by an English Dr. , who had been living in Kathmandu for years, and was all about altitude sickness and other trekking health problems!

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Pharm S View Post
          Genious - how did you know that? Have you been trekking before or is it something I should already know.

Thanks for the reply, very very helpful.
          Agree with Jon F. I live in Denver, Colorado and we see this rx a lot when people go hiking in the mountains close to here. Denver sits at 1 mile above sea level and some of the mountains are "14ers" which are above 14,000 ft. Colorado has over 50 14ers..pharout.

Comment

I think I remember seeing some guidelines for pharmacists on the nelm website about altitude sickness. I'll have a look for the link.
            _____

Comment

"Travel medicine for health professionals" by Dr Larry Goodyer is worth a read. Sometimes dexamethasone is also used for "cerebral" altitude sickness symptoms. I have seen acetazolamide prescribed a few times.

Acetazolamide is a carbonic anhydrase inhibitor and induces mild acidosis, hence increases respiration,and so helps overcome low blood oxygen. Also the diuretic effect reduces fluid retention symptoms. It can causes numbness of fingers and toes, so mention to patient, expecially if they are going somewhere cold where this could be a problem anyway.
              Last edited by lamzee; 20, February 2008, 07:14 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X