co-proxamol

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• co-proxamol

Had script yesterday, had stock so dispensed. Do we need to tell pt now unlicenced?

Just a hard core of users who say nothing else as good.
    johnep

Re: co-proxamol

Yes.
    Also you need to cover yourself by contacting the prescriber and informing them that they have prescribed an unlicensed medication and that they are personally responsible for any ill effects.

Comment

Originally posted by Web Ferret View Post
      Yes.
      Also you need to cover yourself by contacting the prescriber and informing them that they have prescribed an unlicensed medication and that they are personally responsible for any ill effects.
      Thinking back to 1981 - Distalgesic used to be prescribed and dispensed by the bucket load. Not saying that it was right then but how the wheel turns. The new drug that year was Opren. Remember that one John?
      47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
      2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
      How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

Yep you have stirred my memory, Benoral as well.
        johnep

Comment

Hi Pharmanaut, Johnep
          Distalgesic was co-proxamol wasn't it? what was the story? The other two are still in Martindale with stories about why they are no longer used or actively marketed respectively.

Paul08
          Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time.
          (T. Pratchett)

Comment

If you try to tell a customer a product is unlicenced he/she will have no idea what you are talking about

Lots of prescribers won't understand either--"oh, does that mean you have to import it and it takes a bit longer or something"

Comment

Originally posted by paul2008 View Post
              Hi Pharmanaut, Johnep
              Distalgesic was co-proxamol wasn't it? what was the story? The other two are still in Martindale with stories about why they are no longer used or actively marketed respectively.

Paul08
              That's the one - used to be called "DG's" by patients.
              Cox had a version called "Cosalgesic" which was cheaper.
              The arguments we used to have when they got "Cosalgesic" instead of "DG's".
              How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

Originally posted by Pharmanaut View Post
                That's the one - used to be called "DG's" by patients.
                Cox had a version called "Cosalgesic" which was cheaper.
                The arguments we used to have when they got "Cosalgesic" instead of "DG's".
                And this became even more confusing when Cox digoxin 250mcg were stamped DG.

Comment

Originally posted by lamzee View Post
                  And this became even more confusing when Cox digoxin 250mcg were stamped DG.
                  It was either DG or Paramol-118.
                  How times change.

Comment

Distalgesic was introduced by Distillers in attempt to broaden their market.
                    They had got started with Distaquaine V the original Penicillin V. Having been brought into pharmaceuticals by penicillin production. they licensed Distaval (Thalidomide) from Grunenthal and achieved considerable success before the problems started. Lilly produced the original dextropropoxyphene which failed but Distalgesic (The power to erase pain) was immediate success.

In 1984 the govnmt brought in the 'limited list' which killed off galenicals and also forbade the prescribing of benzodiazepines and co-proxamol by brand name. Eventually, Distillers disposed of the millstone of pharmaceuticals and Distalgesic remained as a branded generic.

johnep

Comment

Originally posted by johnep View Post
                      Distalgesic was introduced by Distillers in attempt to broaden their market.
                      They had got started with Distaquaine V the original Penicillin V. Having been brought into pharmaceuticals by penicillin production. they licensed Distaval (Thalidomide) from Grunenthal and achieved considerable success before the problems started. Lilly produced the original dextropropoxyphene which failed but Distalgesic (The power to erase pain) was immediate success.

In 1984 the govnmt brought in the 'limited list' which killed off galenicals and also forbade the prescribing of benzodiazepines and co-proxamol by brand name. Eventually, Distillers disposed of the millstone of pharmaceuticals and Distalgesic remained as a branded generic.

johnep
                      We once had a rather witty April Fool on our local receptionists.

We said that from April 1st all drugs will have "co-" put in front of them so that they would be easier for patients to remember their medication and also easier for them to find "on computer". If it already had "co-" another one would be put in front.

So co-proxamol would be "co-co-proxamol".

They thought this was a good idea, so we then said to make the names easier to pronounce everything would have "..olol" added to the end, so propranolol would be co-propranolol-olol.
                      When it dawned on them it would be "co-co-proxomol-olol" the penny dropped about the date.

How we did laugh, and I hope you are now.
                      How times change.

Comment

Working...
                      X