Salary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Salary

I have posted a thread along these lines on another forum - apologies to those who have seen it there.

On that forum I saw a couple of comments that got me thinking that I should be pushing for a better deal...

What would you reckon a newly qualified relief pharmacist should be earning working for a small regional multiple in N. West? 40 hours pw; 5wks hol?

Re: Salary

Need a bit more information to be sure - What happens about traveling expenses? pensions, RPSGB fees etc
    £35k minimum

Comment

Thanks for reply. Currently 35k. No travel expenses as all branches covered within easy commute (less than 10 miles). Overtime paid at single rate. Work Saturdays. Pay own society fees and private pension.

Comment

Pharmatron is newly-qualified, and is therefore unlikely to collect his/her pension for another 40-odd years; what do you think will be left of any pension scheme by 2050, is there really any point in joining one in 2008?
        Another point: as a relief pharmacist, you are expected to be more flexible than a regular pharmacist/phcy manager: I believe that also has a price-tag, so I'd say aim at £40k, especially if you are MUR-accredited...
        Ze genuine Article, present & perfect!

Comment

And work your day off somewhere else, to get broader experience.

Comment

Originally posted by lamzee View Post
            And work your day off somewhere else, to get broader experience.
            and have no life outside work?

Comment

It gives you more of a financial cushion for the future.

Comment

Don't get me wrong I'm all for saving for the future.. I think....ask me when i receive my pension to see how little i get!!

But working 6 or 7 days a week is not appealing at all.

Also, as a relief pharmacist, won't he be getting a broader experience than just working in the same shop?

Comment

Originally posted by JonF View Post
                  Don't get me wrong I'm all for saving for the future.. I think....ask me when i receive my pension to see how little i get!!

But working 6 or 7 days a week is not appealing at all.

Also, as a relief pharmacist, won't he be getting a broader experience than just working in the same shop?
                  Some people can hack working 6 - 7 days per week, but do your sums.
                  You will get to the stage where if you work at say £20 per hour (easier figure to work with) you will pay the taxman £8, some NI and walk out with around £10.
                  On the other hand you could have the day off, de-stress, make sure you keep some friends, and if you have any see your children growing up. Just because your employer wants to open 168 hours per week - you don't have to be the one to do it.
                  47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
                  2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
                  How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

Originally posted by pharmatron View Post
                    Thanks for reply. Currently 35k. No travel expenses as all branches covered within easy commute (less than 10 miles). Overtime paid at single rate. Work Saturdays. Pay own society fees and private pension.
                    If you're newly qualified... that money seems pretty good for those hours.

One full year of experience on, you should be 3.5-4k more than that, and another year of experience, another 3.5-4k, and possibly in the next year or 2 another 3.5-4k or so...and after that the rate of rise is likely to slower and have to be fought for.

So by the time you have about four years of experience, you should be earning something in the region of 10-12k more for the same kind of hours you're doing now.

Bear in mind that if you decided to do more hours (like 45-48 hours per week) your money would be a fair bit higher, so the earning potential is there if you want it.

Comment

Working...
                    X