Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Guess its not just us..

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Guess its not just us..

    New contracts seem to be flying out left right and centre from the DoH these days... and its not jus Pharmacy being affected. Whats all this hype about longer GP opening times in the media and the BMA vs DoH standoff about urging them to accept the government's plans for extended surgery opening hours.

    However the difference is the BMA - the GPs union... their fighting the GPs corner like a raging bull saying the real agenda was to privatise services and undermine traditional general practice.

    ... just read some of their quotes on:

    BBC NEWS | Health | Ministers target GPs over hours


    if only WE had a society like that!!

  • #2
    Re: Guess its not just us..

    Originally posted by alkil View Post
    New contracts seem to be flying out left right and centre from the DoH these days... and its not jus Pharmacy being affected. Whats all this hype about longer GP opening times in the media and the BMA vs DoH standoff about urging them to accept the government's plans for extended surgery opening hours.

    However the difference is the BMA - the GPs union... their fighting the GPs corner like a raging bull saying the real agenda was to privatise services and undermine traditional general practice.

    ... just read some of their quotes on:

    BBC NEWS | Health | Ministers target GPs over hours


    if only WE had a society like that!!
    We live in hope, or despair.
    47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
    2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
    How times change.

    If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Guess its not just us..

      And the government have the cheek to claim that they will enforce these regulations because the BMA is not representative of doctors' true view.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Guess its not just us..

        Originally posted by ferretmanabu View Post
        And the government have the cheek to claim that they will enforce these regulations because the BMA is not representative of doctors' true view.
        Enforce and Doctors in the same sentence...
        Unmovable object meets irresistable force springs to mind.
        47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
        2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
        How times change.

        If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Guess its not just us..

          and tha latest news in the guardian today front page... GPs have threatened to QUIT the NHS in large numbers if forced to open longer hours or reduced income to practice who dont agree... they would then all operate privately - charging £25/apoointment.

          Now thats put a gun to the ministers head.. im loving this battle.

          Could we utilise an approach like this in our profession? and would it work?

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Guess its not just us..

            Originally posted by alkil View Post
            and tha latest news in the guardian today front page... GPs have threatened to QUIT the NHS in large numbers if forced to open longer hours or reduced income to practice who dont agree... they would then all operate privately - charging £25/apoointment.

            Now thats put a gun to the ministers head.. im loving this battle.

            Could we utilise an approach like this in our profession? and would it work?
            No it wouldn't because we are employees.
            Our employers would want to mop up all the scripts for those that have closed.


            This is would be a bad move for GPs - it puts them in the same light as dentists and the GPs would lose the support of the patients who are really the ones who give them their power in the first place. The Dentists had a mixed economy of private/NHS to start with gradually shifted. Additionally, people were used to paying NHS charges for dental stuff.

            Anyway, can you see a GP privately for £25 or whatever, and then they issue an NHS script - can't do that can they?

            Wait for the government spin - "Greedy GPs put NHS in Jepordy"

            Having said that - its going to be an interesting fight.

            Could be used to give pharmacy a boost with some positive spin.

            Anyway who's bothered - all the reporters are in the US covering the minutae of the run up to the election. Yes, I suppose it matters, but does every detail of it?
            47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
            2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
            How times change.

            If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Guess its not just us..

              Originally posted by alkil View Post
              and tha latest news in the guardian today front page... GPs have threatened to QUIT the NHS in large numbers if forced to open longer hours or reduced income to practice who dont agree... they would then all operate privately - charging £25/apoointment.

              Now thats put a gun to the ministers head.. im loving this battle.

              Could we utilise an approach like this in our profession? and would it work?



              Complete bollocks. In very few areas would patients pay to see GPs. Dentists can go 100% private because their private charges are so similar to NHS dental charges. Doctors, to satisfy the mantra that th NHS is "free at the point of delivery" don't charge except for private stuff like signing passports and travel vaccs.

              A gun to minister's heads? I don't think so. If anything were to usher in private capital from Tesco, Boots and Virgin it would be empty threats like those being issued at the moment. Bear in mind of course that there is nothing to stop YOU from applying to provide medical services and employing doctors to do it. You could make a decent profit from it also if you employed nurse practitioners and only bought in Doctor time for when it is essential.

              I would have more sympathy with the DOH if they insisted that GPs survey their patients for out of hours services. One I know has done so and they want early morning appointments and lunchtimes. They opened on a Saturday and have had 5 patients in 6 months. Imposing populist bullshit may look good when squaring up for an election but this nonsense is purely upsetting a bunch of people they, in the main, need to make their reforms work.
              http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Hmbyj0XFUhA

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Guess its not just us..

                Originally posted by alkil View Post
                if only WE had a society like that!!
                We have - GP's seem to be less than satisfied with the GPC

                http://www.pulsetoday.co.uk/story.as...de=4117119&c=2

                Jeff

                Comment

                Working...
                X