Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advertising - actually, no you can't.

Hello Everyone

We decided to have a go at advertising in the PJ - to get the word round to reach pharmacists who may not know about the site. Would you think this would be a problem? Well apparently, the pharmacy-forum.co.uk is not allowed to advertise as it would be “in direct competition with features we are introducing on our soon to be relaunched site”. That is the PJ on-line site.

This seems unfair, and I am not very happy about it.

As the same thing has happened to the Administrator of Locum Voice we have written a joint epistle to the PJ letters as follows:

"We are the administrators of two pharmacy web forums, www.pharmacy-forum.co.uk and www.locumvoice.co.uk :: Index. These forums are run by volunteers and exist for peer support, problem-solving and information dissemination. Both have been used recently to help pharmacists with their replies to the Responsible Pharmacist consultation.

The one publication which all pharmacists receive is the Pharmaceutical Journal, so when it came to deciding to advertise to let pharmacists know of these sites, the PJ was the natural choice. It was with great surprise that adverts were refused as they “will be in direct competition with features we are introducing on our soon to be relaunched site”.

Although it is understood that there is an editorial right to refuse advertising, of offensive material for example, it had not been realised up to now that information is being restricted on competition grounds.

In the current climate of jockeying for position in the emergence of a new professional body, will this type of restriction of competition become more prevalent?

We call for the Pharmaceutical Journal to review its procedures immediately, not just because we want to advertise but because we want to ensure that pharmacists have a wide choice and a full knowledge of all the sources of information and support available."

This is but the first step in the matter, and all comments and suggestions are very welcome. It will be interesting to see if it gets published.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.
    Lively debate is encouraged but please respect the opinions and feelings of others.
    Please help keep the forum vibrant by spreading the work to friends and colleagues via word of mouth or social media.
    Thank you for contributing to this site.

Re: Advertising - actually, no you can't.

I think it's well worth to give it a try! I've got some uni friends which we keep in touch on facebook so I'll let them know about this site too!
    Onion Bunny

Comment

Originally posted by Onion Bunny View Post
      I think it's well worth to give it a try! I've got some uni friends which we keep in touch on facebook so I'll let them know about this site too!
      Thanks - that's very nice of you.
      Lively debate is encouraged but please respect the opinions and feelings of others.
      Please help keep the forum vibrant by spreading the work to friends and colleagues via word of mouth or social media.

Comment

Admin,

Out of interest, how many Pharmacists are members of this forum and of these how many actively post?

It would be great to get more people on here as its a good place to throw ideas about , ask for help and get those niggling pharmacy questions answered!! etc. etc.

Comment

Originally posted by JonF View Post
          Admin,

Out of interest, how many Pharmacists are members of this forum and of these how many actively post?
          That's actually quite a hard question to answer. We have an average of 180 unique visits per day not including Google bots etc.

I would guess around 70% of the members are pharmacists, but most only read the posts, not write them.

Since last night 36 members have visited the site, and seven of them have never made a post.

I'm happy to cover the cost of an advert in the PJ to allow people to become aware of the site, but feel very angry that we aren't allowed to. I can remember some years back when the PJ ran regular ads for a dating agency!

The advantage I feel we have is we are totally independent of the society, and people write what they want to. Being anonymous also means people are more prepared to say what they really do think! The only posts I stop are blatent adverts etc. We also attract quite a lot of pharmacy students and pre-reg pharmacists, as I am sure you know from recent posts. I believe we have helped a lot of people, as well as making new friends and contacts.

The PJ on-line staff do read this site, as well as the Chemist and Druggist. I feel they have been watching and are just stealing the forum idea. They will then use the PJ to advertise only THEIR site and that's an unfair monopoly in my humble opinion.

Myself, Lindsey (from Locum Voice) and Chris Morris drafted a well written article and submitted it to the PJ for consideration. It was initially not even replied to. I followed up with more e-mails, and was told I had contacted the wrong person. I then sent the article to the relevant person, who DELETED it without even reading it! I know this from the read request I sent with it.

We did get a mention in the PJ when the forum first started, a two line announcement. There is a link on the PJ on-line web site under web blogs and forums (Pharmacy discussion forum) but I expect it to be removed soon to be honest. It is well hidden in the site really, and the name of the forum isn't mentioned, so you'd have to be looking for a discussion forum to actually find the link.
          Last edited by admin; 24, January 2008, 09:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by admin View Post
            That's actually quite a hard question to answer. We have an average of 180 unique visits per day not including Google bots etc.

I would guess around 70% of the members are pharmacists, but most only read the posts, not write them.

Since last night 36 members have visited the site, and seven of them have never made a post.

I'm happy to cover the cost of an advert in the PJ to allow people to become aware of the site, but feel very angry that we aren't allowed to. I can remember some years back when the PJ ran regular ads for a dating agency!

Forget the PJ.
            Would you post on a forum run by RSPGB?
            Why not write to the other community pharmacy magazines - they might even run an article on you!
            Not sure how to get to the hospital pharmacists - try the guild.
            47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
            2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
            How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

Since we seem to be turning progressively away from the RPSGB and looking towards the PDA for support and representation, why not approach them? they also publish a little "magazine", not as frequently as the PJ, granted, but...? Just a thought...
              Ze genuine Article, present & perfect!

Comment

Originally posted by Zoggite View Post
                Since we seem to be turning progressively away from the RPSGB and looking towards the PDA for support and representation, why not approach them? they also publish a little "magazine", not as frequently as the PJ, granted, but...? Just a thought...
                Good idea that one.
                I like it.
                47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
                2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
                How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

Yep I get the PDA 'mag' on a regular basis. However they do pay the costs of px so may regard you as a rival.

I send out several hundred flyers for our branch meetings. Will ask the cttee if can give you a mention next time.
                  johnep

Comment

Oh dear,
                    It has for a long time been the PJ's policy not to publish letters that have already been published.

Not at all sure if the PDA would take an advert - because they (or at least those closely linked to them) host PrivateRx.

However raising the matter on PrivateRx should attract MOC's.

So with your permission I'll post a link to this thread.

Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by Zoggite View Post
                      Thanks, I've tried that - they haven't made any decisions if they are allowing advertising yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Pharmanaut View Post
                        Forget the PJ.
                        Would you post on a forum run by RSPGB?
                        Why not write to the other community pharmacy magazines - they might even run an article on you!
                        Not sure how to get to the hospital pharmacists - try the guild.
                        Thanks - we are trying the [email protected] next I think.

Comment

Originally posted by johnep View Post
                          Yep I get the PDA 'mag' on a regular basis. However they do pay the costs of px so may regard you as a rival.

I send out several hundred flyers for our branch meetings. Will ask the cttee if can give you a mention next time.
                          johnep
                          Thanks a lot John - much appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff View Post
                            Oh dear,
                            It has for a long time been the PJ's policy not to publish letters that have already been published.

Not at all sure if the PDA would take an advert - because they (or at least those closely linked to them) host PrivateRx.

However raising the matter on PrivateRx should attract MOC's.

So with your permission I'll post a link to this thread.

Jeff
                            Jeff

Thanks to you as well. Feel free to link to this post. I doubt the PJ will print our letter anyway. The article the three of us did was fine, I believe, but they didn't even want to read that.

I should have put all these posts in one I guess - too tired tonight, so sorry.

I'd just like to say a very big thanks to everyone who has offered support and help. It is very much appreciated.

Comment

Like making laws for cars using horse and cart rules, isn't it. Personally as someone who looks at several pharmaceutical sites I think they all have their strengths and weaknesses, and I can't see an overarching PJ site doing what all of them do.

There are advantages in a pharmacist-only site, but also of a open one, like this.

Comment

Working...
                              X