Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• community pharmacists

Hello,

Could you please tell me some of the disadvantages and advantages of community pharmacists now working closely with GPs?

Thank you

Re: community pharmacists

Originally posted by pharmacy4me View Post
    Hello,

Could you please tell me some of the disadvantages and advantages of community pharmacists now working closely with GPs?

Thank you
    The main advantage was the potential to maintain the independence of both professions - both sides were too late to recognise it.

Nowadays there are clinical advantages for all involved .

Additionally a better relationship with your prescribers means
    that they are more likely to give a **** when the pack size of clopidogrel is changed - t
    that you are more likely reinforce the changes that are made to prescriptions

and that you can become more patient and less prescription focused

Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff View Post
      ...and that you can become more patient and less prescription focused
      I am already quite patient, I think!
      Ze genuine Article, present & perfect!

Comment

We might want to work with Drs, but they show no signs of wanting any contact with pharmacists other than describing them as 'sewer rats'.
        johnep

Comment

Originally posted by johnep View Post
          We might want to work with Drs, but they show no signs of wanting any contact with pharmacists other than describing them as 'sewer rats'.
          johnep
          Rubbish - even Dr Roberts who used the "sewer rats" phrase acknowledged the usefulness of a practice pharmacist.

Jeff

Comment

Whats all this about sewer rats??

Comment

About 20-25 years ago there was a push by doctors to extend their dispensing activities and one by pharmacists out into what had been rural areas (and which had often become very built up).

At the time the Chair of the Dispensing Doctors Association was a Dr David Roberts from Northants who at one point referred to pharmacists "swarming into rural areas like sewer rats". It all got very nasty; some very unpleasant things were said and done.

Can't recall the exact details but as far as I recall he subsequently got a Methotrexate prescription wrong and if I recall right the patient died. Not the sort of thing you'd wish on your worst enemy, but it it did for him in medical politics.

Comment

Actually was mephalan I believe. I wonder if it was just a coincidence that Ashbourne was founded by another dispensing Dr in Northants.
                johnep

Comment

Originally posted by the old merlin View Post
                  About 20-25 years ago there was a push by doctors to extend their dispensing activities and one by pharmacists out into what had been rural areas (and which had often become very built up).

At the time the Chair of the Dispensing Doctors Association was a Dr David Roberts from Northants who at one point referred to pharmacists "swarming into rural areas like sewer rats".
                  In an article in the C & D wasn't it?

Comment

GMC clears former DDA chairman after patient's overdose death

Just found link if anybody interested

Comment

Originally posted by JonF View Post
                      The NPSA have asked for an alert to bet put on all anti-cancer oral agents.
                      Should be appearing on our PMR systems on the next update.
                      47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
                      2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
                      How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

Well at least he got a similiar punishment to what we would have if we'd missed it on the prescription........then again............
                        Lively debate is encouraged but please respect the opinions and feelings of others.
                        Please help keep the forum vibrant by spreading the work to friends and colleagues via word of mouth or social media.
                        Thank you for contributing to this site.

Comment

Originally posted by admin View Post
                          Well at least he got a similiar punishment to what we would have if we'd missed it on the prescription........then again............
                          Things are better when all the professions work together.
                          Its sad to hear at anytime that a patient has suffered for a reason that should be under control.
                          Whatever you think about Dr David Roberts - he made me think about how pharmacy is practiced a few years ago.
                          47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
                          2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
                          How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

Originally posted by Pharmanaut View Post
                            The NPSA have asked for an alert to bet put on all anti-cancer oral agents.
                            Should be appearing on our PMR systems on the next update.
                            Perhaps my fault - I e-mailed them - linked to this thread - and made the suggestion.

http://www.pharmacy-forum.co.uk/phar...have-done.html

Jeff

Comment

Things are better when all the professions work together.
                              You are of course quite correct, but it's not only the Dr's that are unwilling to cooperate - some pharmacists have a bad attitude to this as well.

My friend has recently qualified as a Dr after spending 4 more years studying. She often swaps with me at 6pm, and runs the store I have recently been working in until 10pm.

As she has been at Uni much more recently then me, I often ask her opinion on situations I've came across during the day, and discuss possible problems the patient has, or diseases they may have when I've referred them to their GP. I guess I am basically getting confirmation from her that my "diagnosis" was on the right lines.

The other night I asked her if she minded me doing this and she replied that she welcomed it. In fact, she said most pharmacists are a bit off hand with her now (even though she is still a pharmacist as well as a Dr) and I am virtually the only one who lilkes to discuss medicine with her!

She felt that was a shame, and we should all cooperate for patient welfare. I guess I agree with her on that.
                              Lively debate is encouraged but please respect the opinions and feelings of others.
                              Please help keep the forum vibrant by spreading the work to friends and colleagues via word of mouth or social media.
                              Thank you for contributing to this site.

Comment

Working...
                              X