Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

pharmacy not checking free entitlement

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • pharmacy not checking free entitlement

    Hi,

    Having had the PPA claw my HC2 off me last year due to an increase in Incapacity benefit by about £10pm; I had to buy a Pre-payment cert as my prescription charges would have been about £36pw due silly script amounts by the docs:

    E.g. 14 temazepam/zolpidem on a long term repeat when the pack size is 28, 56 oxybutynin when the pack size is 84 etc.

    I recently changed pharmacy to the CO-OP local branch as Lloyds were continually mucking me around with balances owed. I had never had a script dispensed from CO-OP before; I told them to collect script from surgery over the phone and deliver to my home. As a result I never signed the script or declared I had a PPC to them.

    Yet the retail assist just delivered to my home and never asked who I was or if I had to pay or not; They didn't have me sign the CD box for my Butrans patches either. Something which Lloyds always had me do when I came in person to collect and was known to the pharacist regardless.

    I just thought that the delivering retail assist must have thought I didn'r have to pay because I "appear disabled" to them. Or can pharmacists verify PPC status electronically without the patient's presense or signature now?

    Needless to say I thought it was a bit odd that the Pharmacist would let CD's go out to someone they didnt know without any signature or ID; or does this happen often with the chain pharmacies?

    mr_colt.

  • #2
    Re: pharmacy not checking free entitlement

    Originally posted by mr_colt View Post
    Hi,

    Having had the PPA claw my HC2 off me last year due to an increase in Incapacity benefit by about £10pm; I had to buy a Pre-payment cert as my prescription charges would have been about £36pw due silly script amounts by the docs:

    E.g. 14 temazepam/zolpidem on a long term repeat when the pack size is 28, 56 oxybutynin when the pack size is 84 etc.

    I recently changed pharmacy to the CO-OP local branch as Lloyds were continually mucking me around with balances owed. I had never had a script dispensed from CO-OP before; I told them to collect script from surgery over the phone and deliver to my home. As a result I never signed the script or declared I had a PPC to them.

    Yet the retail assist just delivered to my home and never asked who I was or if I had to pay or not; They didn't have me sign the CD box for my Butrans patches either. Something which Lloyds always had me do when I came in person to collect and was known to the pharacist regardless.

    I just thought that the delivering retail assist must have thought I didn'r have to pay because I "appear disabled" to them. Or can pharmacists verify PPC status electronically without the patient's presense or signature now?

    Needless to say I thought it was a bit odd that the Pharmacist would let CD's go out to someone they didnt know without any signature or ID; or does this happen often with the chain pharmacies?

    mr_colt.
    I would make up that this is due to workload which sometimes happens here in the U.S. It's not supposed to, but it does. Also, I personally would not dispense zolpidem and temazepam concommitant prescriptions as this is a dangerous combination and certainly not evidence-based. One of the states here found that one of the top causes of DUI (driving under the influence) in their state was not alcohol, but was zolpidem. Combined with temazepam, scary...

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: pharmacy not checking free entitlement

      Of course you are not supposed to take temazepam for mor than 14 days but this is completelt disregarded and pts have been taking for over 20 years.
      johnep

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: pharmacy not checking free entitlement

        Well actually it's the two drugs are taken on an alternating bases; one week It is temazepam and the other zolpidem. It has helped tremendously in keeping them somewhat effective. The point I was making is is it ok to deliver a CD script to a patient without any signature or ID?

        And it just puzzled me that they didnt ask if I qualified for exemption from the charges or not. Unless they could see I had a PPC electronically when they dispensed the script? I certainly didn't tell them I did.

        mr_colt.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: pharmacy not checking free entitlement

          Exemption entitlements are not available electronically yet. I guess they have just overlooked asking you, why don't you phone and ask them??

          When we deliver CD's we don't send Rx out with our delivery driver, we get a delivery docket signed to show delivery has been accepted.

          I don't think its a legal requirement to get the Rx signed for CD's just good practice...although i could be wrong, i'm sure someone will correct if so! The CD regulations seem to change by the week thanks to Dr. Shipman!

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: pharmacy not checking free entitlement

            Originally posted by JonF View Post

            I don't think its a legal requirement to get the Rx signed for CD's just good practice...although i could be wrong, i'm sure someone will correct if so! The CD regulations seem to change by the week thanks to Dr. Shipman!
            Have just checked and i am correct, its just good practice not a legal requirement

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: pharmacy not checking free entitlement

              You seem to be an expert patient, are you from a pharmaceutical family, how else did you acquire such knowledge.
              johnep

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: pharmacy not checking free entitlement

                Even schedule II and III's? Well I would like to say I'm surprised but; to be honest I am not. It did concern me that there was no asking for ID though, I used to live in a block of flats previously where possibly anyone would answer the door incluing those to whom Methadone is part of their staple diet!

                Thank goodness I moved to say the least. Considering the delivery assist carries a money bag round for collecting Rx charges; she still should have at least asked if I had to pay. That way if I didn't have a PPC; then the PPA would catch up with me eventually.

                mr_colt.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: pharmacy not checking free entitlement

                  Originally posted by mr_colt View Post
                  Even schedule II and III's? Well I would like to say I'm surprised but; to be honest I am not. It did concern me that there was no asking for ID though, I used to live in a block of flats previously where possibly anyone would answer the door incluing those to whom Methadone is part of their staple diet!

                  Thank goodness I moved to say the least. Considering the delivery assist carries a money bag round for collecting Rx charges; she still should have at least asked if I had to pay. That way if I didn't have a PPC; then the PPA would catch up with me eventually.

                  mr_colt.
                  Yep even Schedule 2&3

                  See link
                  http://www.rpsgb.org.uk/pdfs/MEP31s1-2b.pdf

                  page 30 towards bottom

                  All medication is potentially dangerous in the wrong hands, CD or not. If we had to ask for ID from everyone who brought in a Rx, or who we delivered to, it would be a logistical nightmare. If people didn't have any ID on them what would we do....refuse to dispense script until they produced some???? Not good if you have cancer and desperately need diamorphine for pain relief!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: pharmacy not checking free entitlement

                    Yes it is a valid point about getting the drugs promptly I suspose. Hence why I stopped using Lloyds after they kept "forgetting" to deliver my Rx balances including Temazepam which led to a sleepless night to say the least

                    Johnep: I have always been good at general sci and my Mum worked in Micro for over 20 years; until late summer when my health detoriated I was doing the pre-requistite to get on Keele's '08 M.Pharm . I really got into the study big time and enjoyed researching various drug interactions etc.

                    It's actually helped a few times; post c-diff last year I was able to avoid a repeat by discovering the effect Proton Pump Inhibitors have in promoting a positive environment for the spores. Studies showed that it increased the chances of re-infection by almost 2/3rds. But then again this was scripted by the same hosptial doc who thought 25mg of tolterodine QDS was accurately prescribed.

                    mr_colt.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: pharmacy not checking free entitlement

                      Originally posted by mr_colt View Post
                      But then again this was scripted by the same hosptial doc who thought 25mg of tolterodine QDS was accurately prescribed.

                      mr_colt.
                      Just a slight overdose!!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: pharmacy not checking free entitlement

                        "And I would have gotten away with it too! if it werent for those pesky pharmacists!" - Shamelessly spoofs Scooby Doo

                        mr_colt.

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X