Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Career choices after the pre reg year

Hi to all!

I am currently half way through my hospital pre registration placement in Birmingham but am very confused about what career move to make next (Community/Hospital/Locum/Industry)

I would be very interested in other peoples experience after their pre reg and what they would do if they were given a second chance.

I would really appreciate any advice. Thank you!

Re: Career choices after the pre reg year

Being brutally honest if I were to be given a second chance would I do pharmacy, probably not.

Traditionally if you are motivated by money community pharmacy is your poison of choice. If flogging all the crap that is often sold in pharmacies turns you off then go for hospital pharmacy. Also has the advantage of minimal contact with Joe Public.

Comment

Pick the branch of pharmacy offering the most money. 10 years down the line, when you have a mortgage and spouse you won't care about feeling challanged anymore!

Comment

It is much easier to transfer into community from industry and hospital than vice versa.
        johnep

Comment

Once you've passed your pre-reg, you will have spent the past five years studying and scraping by on low income. I would say don't go straight into a hospital certificate/diploma training scheme. Spend a few months working as a locum or employed community pharamacist and enjoy yourself. Give yourself time to think before you make a decision.

Comment

quick questioin, i take it you apply to pre reg during third year right. So do people like boots set you a degree class to achieve before they take you on?
            3rd yr pharmacy student - bath

Comment

I was reading a pharmacy journal and came across some stats.

It said that 60% of pharmacists were employed in community, with 20% in clinical and the remaining 20% in industry.
              Firstly, why are so many choosing to go into community? Is it simply the financial factor?

I understand that community pharmacists/locums work 'behind a till'. Now there's nothing wrong with that but I really cannot see myself doing it for a significant period of time. I'm interested in clinical pharmacy but to be honest the starting salary is pretty poor and the promotional prospects too are fairly dire.
              So, can anyone give me advice on whether or not to go into industry? (I'm still in year 13 btw). I'll be looking to obtain a 1st in university and wouldn't mind researching and designing drugs. What else does industrial pharmacy entail and what are the chances of getting into the field in the UK with a top degree?

Comment

Pretty good, I went into industry following being on rota pre chistmas week.

I looked on the manufacturing side and complained about the low salary. The interviewer said that sales paid more, and you got a car. so I became a medical rep in the days when it was great fun. Then progressed into marketing and exports.

I had a great time travelling all over the world and staying at the best hotels, but and it is a big but. Not one of the companies I worked for exists today in the UK. Either taken over or work moved abroad. Go to the USA.
                johnep

Comment

Thanks for the swift reply.

I've been told that the industrial companies are decreasing considerably in number but there should still be some left/upcoming by the time I graduate I'd hope. I've also been told that the few that remain scout for the graduates with the best qualifications and a lot of money is available. Ahh well I've got more than enough time to decide.

And go to the US? Are you crazy? Haha never!

Comment

Infact I dont get why more people don't go to the US. I mean you only have to write naplex right and do a year training.
                    3rd yr pharmacy student - bath

Comment

Originally posted by giggsy View Post
                      quick questioin, i take it you apply to pre reg during third year right. So do people like boots set you a degree class to achieve before they take you on?
                      I worked for Boots a few years ago and they never asked me which class of degree I got.
                      Lively debate is encouraged but please respect the opinions and feelings of others.
                      Please help keep the forum vibrant by spreading the work to friends and colleagues via word of mouth or social media.
                      Thank you for contributing to this site.

Comment

Infact I dont get why more people don't go to the US.
                        Because they all have guns, and we all have drugs...........
                        Lively debate is encouraged but please respect the opinions and feelings of others.
                        Please help keep the forum vibrant by spreading the work to friends and colleagues via word of mouth or social media.
                        Thank you for contributing to this site.

Comment

Infact I dont get why more people don't go to the US. I mean you only have to write naplex right and do a year training.
                          Yeah, if you want to work in community pharmacy here.

Comment

Originally posted by admin View Post
                            Because they all have guns, and we all have drugs...........

Correction....we have lots of guns AND drugs

Comment

Originally posted by #1_Wasteman View Post
                              I was reading a pharmacy journal and came across some stats.

It said that 60% of pharmacists were employed in community, with 20% in clinical and the remaining 20% in industry.
                              Firstly, why are so many choosing to go into community? Is it simply the financial factor?

I understand that community pharmacists/locums work 'behind a till'. Now there's nothing wrong with that but I really cannot see myself doing it for a significant period of time. I'm interested in clinical pharmacy but to be honest the starting salary is pretty poor and the promotional prospects too are fairly dire.
                              So, can anyone give me advice on whether or not to go into industry? (I'm still in year 13 btw). I'll be looking to obtain a 1st in university and wouldn't mind researching and designing drugs. What else does industrial pharmacy entail and what are the chances of getting into the field in the UK with a top degree?
                              Wasteman,
                              I cannot speak for the UK , but here in the U.S., industry is risky business as well. The riskiest aspect is that many companies merge and as a result, jobs are lost. This may not be a problem there, but eventually it might. Second, 60% of pharmacist in the U.S. go into community pharmacy (mainly for the money to pay off their student loans). I would bet 50% of these in 5-10 years hate their jobs. Clinical pharmacy here used to pay less, but I be willing to wager I make more than most of my community pharmacy counterparts. The point being is that it has equalized since there has been a shift and more emphasis (including schools of pharmacy) on employment in this sector. It is a public health issue and there is great data available to suggest that pharmacists reduce healthcare costs and have an impact on outcomes. Based on the 2020 vision for pharmacy in the UK which I've read, it seems that this will be the emphasis there in the future. It also seems to me that if you have a sound clinical background and have created a niche for yourself, there are jobs in the UK NHS that pay fairly well. My final point is that you must create your own opportunities if you want a different path, as noone will give them to you on a silver spoon.

Comment

Working...
                              X