Direct-to-consumer advertising

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Direct-to-consumer advertising

I'm not sure if you have direct-to-consumer advertising in the UK, if you don't, lobby against it if you can. I know it is not legal in Spain where I often go. However, in the U.S. where I live, of course it's legal because the pharmaceutical industry is so powerful here. However, I'm here to tell you it's a pain in the .... and a hugh waste of healthcare resources. I cannot tell you how many calls I get regarding Chantix (varenicline) for smoking cessation, which I subsequently have to review each and for Lyrica (pregabalin) which was recently FDA approved for fibromyalgia. The FDA advisory committee here has been linked to industry. It's a shame, dtc advertising should be illegal, and its currently tying up the healthcare system here. I heard Lyrica was also approved for PMS, back pain, clostrophobia and fluctuating barometric pressure mood disorder......:-) when will the madness stop???

Re: Direct-to-consumer advertising

Originally posted by pharout View Post
    I'm not sure if you have direct-to-consumer advertising in the UK, if you don't, lobby against it if you can. I know it is not legal in Spain where I often go. However, in the U.S. where I live, of course it's legal because the pharmaceutical industry is so powerful here. However, I'm here to tell you it's a pain in the .... and a hugh waste of healthcare resources. I cannot tell you how many calls I get regarding Chantix (varenicline) for smoking cessation, which I subsequently have to review each and for Lyrica (pregabalin) which was recently FDA approved for fibromyalgia. The FDA advisory committee here has been linked to industry. It's a shame, dtc advertising should be illegal, and its currently tying up the healthcare system here. I heard Lyrica was also approved for PMS, back pain, clostrophobia and fluctuating barometric pressure mood disorder......:-) when will the madness stop???
    There is a chance that it won't happen, due to the nature of healtcare funding in the UK. If it does we can look forward to a similar future. There would also be a proliferation of 'branded generics' and me-too drugs, as well as confused patients.
    47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
    2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
    How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

I fear the day when the UK adapts the mentallity of calling almost every branded drug by silly brand names that often seem to have no correlation with their chemical name.

Direct marketing prescription drugs to the consumer is my opinion rather unethical; especially the way US Pharm manufacturer's promote the idea that branded drugs are better quality and more effective than their identical generics.

Thats my tuppence worth anyway,

mr_colt.

Comment

The daily show managed to do a particularly good spin out of one particular direct-to-consumer drug ad though: The Jimmy Legs | The Daily Show | Comedy Central

mr_colt.

Comment

What has happened in the UK is publicising of a condition when one company has a virtual monopoly of treatment.
          johnep

Comment

Originally posted by mr_colt View Post
            The daily show managed to do a particularly good spin out of one particular direct-to-consumer drug ad though: The Jimmy Legs | The Daily Show | Comedy Central

mr_colt.
            When I tried your link I realised I'd seen the show on More4. (UK channel for non-UK readers) I don't THINK that they quoted the drugs in the UK version, but by coincidence someone on another thread has a patient with major social problems as a result of the drugs mentioned.

Comment

Working...
            X