No announcement yet.

EU Referendum Impact on Pharmacy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's the betting UK would really benefit from this. VW, Renault, Peugot etc will be happy, although Brazil would wish to protect its own car industry. What exactly do we have to export these days. Scots will export Whisky I accept but cannot see much else for UK.
    johnep

Comment

• Johnep, your premise seems to be cut ourselves off from every one of our trade deals which no country has ever done before and then re-build our industry up again behind tariff barriers like the US has been want to do in the past. The problem is that a market of 67 million people may not be large enough to do that in these days of large trade blocs: China, EU, US.

Leaving aside the economic principles of leaving the EU. What will happen to UK citizens who rely upon the EHIC (European Health Insurance Card) to travel in the EU? Many people with uninsurable conditions may no longer be able to travel.

Comment

• No one should rely on the EHIC card. It is very basic. If we visited the EU I would want Health Insurance that would also cover repatriation. Case at the moment of a boy killed on a quad bike in Greece.
        However, I agree our market is small compared to other trade blocks. That is why the EU takes 70% of trade to us rather than our trade to them. The remoaners and project fear would support you.
        I don't.
        johnep

Comment

• Irrespective of whether Project Fear was justified or not, the utter mess which is being made of the preparations for Leaving suggests that we’re going to be in serious trouble.

EHIC gives one the same rights as a citizen of the EU country one is visiting, apart of course from repatriation. Friends of ours used the medical services in Lanzarote recently, under EHIC, and found them excellent.
          Those who travel in Europe, whether on business or for pleasure are going to find themselves worse off if we are actually foolish enough to Leave.

Comment

• People in Scotland will be getting really annoyed now. Despite voting overwhelmingly 62% to stay in the EU Ryanair is apparently pulling out of Glasgow because of Brexit thus allowing other airlines to increase prices for Scots who want nothing to do with Brexit.

Comment

• Directly Brexit related. The vast British Steel plant in Scunthorpe is in administration putting thousands of jobs at risk. Nearly all of their contracts were with Europe but nobody is willing to sign five year forward contracts when the UK may have left the EU and tariff and non tariff barriers might be in place. Boris's no deal Brexit would mean tariffs of 23% on steel which would instantly kill the industry.

Comment

• Didn't Trump put high tariffs on Chinese steel to protect US steel workers. America has boomed under his policies.
                johnep

Comment

• Originally posted by johnep View Post
                  Didn't Trump put high tariffs on Chinese steel to protect US steel workers. America has boomed under his policies.
                  johnep
                  Farmers haven't!

Comment

• So why have the farmers not boomed. Presumably because China has retaliated. However, more people affected in industry than in highly mechanised farming. Also, means the eco terrorists will be happy that GM soya etc and Chlorinated chickens suffering. I would like to know the difference between steel exports to EU and imports from protected EU companies. Imports here maybe mainly due to relative car imports to exports.
                    What is your solution?
                    johnep

Comment

• Originally posted by johnep View Post
                      So why have the farmers not boomed. Presumably because China has retaliated. However, more people affected in industry than in highly mechanised farming. Also, means the eco terrorists will be happy that GM soya etc and Chlorinated chickens suffering. I would like to know the difference between steel exports to EU and imports from protected EU companies. Imports here maybe mainly due to relative car imports to exports.
                      What is your solution?
                      johnep
                      My solution is to remain in the EU.

Comment

• A truly shocking figure I have seen banded about is that since the Brexit Referendum the fall in the value of sterling has cost the country £300,000,000,000 or an extra £11,000 per household in increased import costs. Goodness knows how much the NHS drug bill has increased for the same reason.

Comment

Working...
                        X