No announcement yet.

EU Referendum Impact on Pharmacy

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The canard about German begging for a deal was raised during the campaign and has been comprehensively disproved. Highly unlikely that parts manufacture will relocate to the UK, and if some of it does so will only be very slowly.

And during the War........ oh dear, oh dear. What about the Commonwealth, or Empire as it was referred to then? I seem to recall Aussie and Canadian troops in the UK, especially the latter. And as for managing; you're only a bit older than me Johnep; have you forgotten rationing?

Comment

• The last time we faced a crisis over imports being cut off was 1914. UK chemical industry received the biggest boost ever and import replacement became the aim. As for rationing, I remember it well. When I started in pharmacy fat rationing was still going. It was when I discovered the joy of Arachis Oil (peanut Oil) for chips. Arachis Oil had replaced Olive Oil in liniments etc. I agree that metal bashing will be a bit slow at first and the decline of manufacturing can be laid at the feet of Mrs Thatcher and Co. In the days after the war, travel abroad was restricted to save foreign exchange (allowance was £25). Gordon Brown's selling off of the gold reserves has reduced UK financial strength.
      Perhaps the 39 billion to spare in No Deal could be used to help manufacturers start active import substitution.
      I have never seen the argument about German cars. Perhaps you could enlighten me.
      Trump may be crass, but the US economy has boomed under him and he is fearless about protecting US jobs.
      johnep

Comment

• It is true that the US built up its economic prowess by protecting its industry behind tariff barriers. When I worked in the US people often said to me proudly that the US is one of the most restrictive countries in the world. Before and after WWII the British Empire had a population of 400 million and we operated Empire Preference. The thing is now our population is only 66.3 million so we no longer have the market which is why we worked hard to join the EU in the first place. Also we lose a lot of our citizens' competitive advantage in losing our freedom of movement and working rights in 31 countries.

Comment

• So, where are all these pharmacists working in the EU? There should be 100s. All the EU pharmacists I have met complain that a pharmacist without a family business to go to has little prospect of work. That is why they came to UK.
          johnep

Comment

• Originally posted by johnep View Post
            So, where are all these pharmacists working in the EU? There should be 100s. All the EU pharmacists I have met complain that a pharmacist without a family business to go to has little prospect of work. That is why they came to UK.
            johnep
            The 'family' issue is around ownership, isn't it. No chains of Dutch/German/Czech Apoteke, French/Belgian Pharmacies, Spanish/Italian Farmiacias or whatever. In the 60's the PharmSoc hoped (!) that joining the EEC, as it was then, would mean that the chains were phased out, but of course The Shoe's muscle was such that it didn't happen.
            Suspect the other big problem is language. We don't, or didn't.... think it's a bit better now..... teach languages well, or soon enough, and very few scientists study them at all after GCSE. That was one thing the EU, through it's Erasmus programme was helping to ameliorate; for example one of my sons did an Engineering with German degree. Four years, with one spent in a German Technical University. Not sure what the position of a British person with a ..... for example Dutch degree ........ in pharmacy would be.
            I've known, and heard of, a few Brits who've worked in European hospitals or in manufacturing, though. And I gather there isn't, or wasn't, a problem with research.

Comment

• Agreed that no problem in research. But that will not employ many. So, jobs in EU not really accessible to UK workers outside of bricklaying etc. Because of our history, English is becoming second language of the world. Hopes for Esperanto have faded. The way in which nearly every body abroad interviewed on TV speaks a fair bit of English illustrates this. Try interviewing an Indian in French, German, Italian, and Spanish and you will find very few compared to English speakers. So lack of jobs in EU after Brexit just a red herring.
              johnep

Comment

• Brexit is likely to be better for pharmacists and wages should increase greatly as they have not moved in 20 years. However, thinking about the whole economy we are probably better in the EU. For instance you might want to retire to Spain and still get medical treatment and you might need your EU pet passport to bring your dog. The EU wanted the UK to bring pensions up to EU levels as they are the lowest in the Western world. German pension £25,500 v UK pension £8000. The EU greatly improved our environment especially water and beaches. The freedom of movement in 31 countries is great although it hasn't worked out well for pharmacists but doctors and others have done well out of freedom of movement.

Comment

• BrianA
                  BrianA commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I have lived in Germany for 6 months now and the figures quoted in UK about prices, earnings, standard of living, health and social care and pensions do not represent what is really happening on the ground. Even the roads and railways aren't what they use to be. They have had Angela Merkel in charge for a longtime now but equality for women in Germany is lagging way behind UK. By the way my settlement in Germany has not been helped by UK being a member of the EU. As far as I can see Germany's immigration policy is more beneficial to economic migrants from the Middle East than it is to citizens of the EU. Expats look after themselves over here! The big difference in Germany is that politicians always compromise with each other for the good of the country. You definitely cannot say that about UK. A newspaper opinion column yesterday said that UK will soon get what it deserves, a clown as Prime Minister, referring to Boris Johnson. Two days ago I read a report on German Pensions by a respected Professor of economics and his figures showed, average male German Pension £14500, average female £8000; more for females that have had 3 or more children or live in East Germany. There are preferential tax and benefits for those living in the former GDR. It still hasn't fully recovered from Communism. West Germans still pay a tax towards redevelopment of East Germany. I have witnessed a lot of unchallenged sexual discrimination in German society, one that has personally affected me. If my Father was German, I could claim German nationality but as I have recently been informed, because it was my Mother, I cannot! The biggest positive is that I can now finally buy Weetabix in the local supermarket. Until recently Amazon has supplied.

• Yes with pharmacy it has been a one way street,
                Other jobs also moved to EU. Even HP sauce and Branston Pickle now made in the Netherlands. Just where have jobs moved from the EU to UK? Are France and Germany closing their steel industry and moving to UK.? Perhaps you could give examples where the EU has had jobs transferred from EU to UK. No, they transfer people to UK and jobs to EU.
                johnep
                Last edited by johnep; Today, 06:11 AM.

Comment

• Today could be a turning point for Brexit. If the Brexit Party get in we will probably leave the EU but if the voters elect the Liberal Democrats that could be the turning point where we will see Brexit cancelled. With Tories and Labour both in disgrace and Honda shutting down in Bridgend at the end of a long line of companies quitting the UK because of Brexit it maybe unlikely the Brexit Party will get in so the LibDems may just get over the line. An added factor being: are Peterborough folk likely to vote for an extreme right wing party on the 75th Anniversary of the D-Day landings which eventually resulted in the defeat of another extreme right wing party in Germany bringing about a long period of peace and friendship amongst the European nations?

Comment

• Well, Brexit has made a convenient scapegoat for companies to blame.
                    johnep

Comment

• Originally posted by johnep View Post
                      Well, Brexit has made a convenient scapegoat for companies to blame.
                      johnep
                      80% reduction in investment in the automotive industry since we voted leave.

There's no arguing that Brexit didn't cause it. Why build electric cars here when we don't have the infrastructure to support it yet.

Build them in Europe where people can use them effectively and you can trade freely with all other member states.
                      I remember when a blog was an individual boot.

Comment

• As I have pointed out before, balance of trade is 70% from EU to here and we have just 30%. In my export days, most of my markets were strapped for cash and had corrupt governments. I tried to encourage import of raw materials to add value to . However, it seemed OK for govnmt to import Mercedes for themselves while refusing others. If we have to put a tarif on imported cars and encouraged import substitution then could revitalise our neglected industry. After all, we invented electric motors and batteries. Nimbys prevention of atomic energy and fracking have scuppered our energy industry. Meanwhile France just went ahead and we import electricity from French atomic power stations.
                        At my age all this matters little to me but I fear for my grand child.
                        johnep
                        PS. Just watched BBC prog on Sellafield. OK we suffered because we were ahead of our time. We went up the wrong path. The French reactors seem to have been very successful. OK we have wind power, so you have the choice....more windmills (made overseas, of course) or nuclear energy to reduce climate change and appease the eco terrorists.
                        Last edited by johnep; 7th, June 2019, 09:01 AM.

Comment

Working...
                        X