tired of waiting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tired of waiting

I am a RPSGB registered pharmacist from the Baltic country, haven’t worked in the UK, but have had 2 years experience in my home country. I am willing to work as a retail pharmacist, but I’m tired of waiting because it hasn’t happened so far. I did successfully a language test and an agency organized me an interview with a well known pharmacy chain and generally it went well, but I wasn’t confident to use a car. It took weeks and now they want to arrange another appointment, but I’m afraid it lasts too long again. I told them to consider any area, but they look places near to me and find only relief positions – maybe it’s normal, I don’t know...
    It looks like all the agencies are the same and they don’t lead too far. I haven’t looked around so deeply because of waiting a call from the agency. The agency says the waiting is because of managers (hardly accessible). I know I should contact directly with employers... but maybe you can give some advice or explain the situation.
    Thank you!
    Last edited by kadrig; 23, February 2008, 06:38 PM. Reason: deleting

Re: tired of waiting

I think that the first thing that needs to be pointed out is that the world doesn't owe you a living just because you are a pharmacist. You must be prepared to move. Not driving is a serious drawback so drive!!

However, the back pages of the Pharmaceutical Journal are full of jobs every week. Agencies are ok but why bother when contact details of all the major employers and vacancies amongst independents are advertised in the PJ?

Good luck but you will have to do more to help yourself.
    http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Hmbyj0XFUhA

Comment

Well said Tony, I have met lots of graduates wgho think they are´entitled´to a well paid job. I very rapidly realised that qualifications just get you up a rung on the ladder and you still have to make your own way, as you have done.
      However, because I am a pharmacist, I have been able to obtain work as and when I want it at the age of 73, and am currently enjoying a fortnight in Las Palmas, I cannot really think of another career that would allow me to enjoy life so much.

Just think of all the media studies students who think TV will be knocking on their door, and are surprised when instead the sons or daughters of existing`presenters get the plum jobs. Was ever thus.
      regards to all
      johnep

Comment

I know you think that I am waiting an apple to fall down from a tree. I don’t want to justify myself but I arrived two months ago and I don’t know exactly how to force things here in the UK and who can I trust. I’m aware of importance of eagerness and activity. It seems to me that there are always the agencies between employee and employer in the UK and I haven’t used to this. The Pharmaceutical Journal is full of agencies and minority of PJ has to do with employers and independent vacancies, so I believe there is no room for a pharmacist from abroad. The other thing is that when I commited myself with an agency they recommended me not to contact with other agencies at the same time. It has to do with my conscience because after all they organized a language test but unfortunately I have to wait too long. I waited one or two weeks before I decided to look somewhere else and then they appeared again and so on... I have a feeling that something will happen soon and there’s no reason to look for another job. Meanwhile I had another option to accept (actually I still have) but I wasn’t sure about it and let it go because the better opportunity appeared at the same time. I don’t want to betray anybody that’s why I rely on the agency.
        I am ready to move and I don’t expect high salary in my opinion (£29000-30000) and I’m really ready to learn, but I do not have a car, I’m not used to left side traffic, so I’m not confident using a car right now.
        Is it more difficult to find a pharmacy where I can commit myself completely, I mean not a relief position?
        Thank you all for your answers!

Comment

Kadrig,
          agencies are a waste of time. They get a commission for finding you work. Obviously you are a marketable commodity so valuable to them. They will of course try and stop you registering with competing agencies.

What you perhaps don't appreciate is how big some of the advertisers are. Boots/ Alliance, the Co-op, Rowlands, Lloyds, Day Lewis etc have thousands of pharmacies and many are run on locums. They would prefer long term commitment and will arrange their own language tests. Ring them up or visit their websites.

Do some locums and get the money for a car. As a pharmacist your credit rating will be good and you don't (yet!) need a Porsche. You can get a small new car for about £100 a month. Drive on the left. I drive on the continent with no problem. The prospect of working in a continental pharmacy is more frightening to me than driving on the other side of the road.

Comment

These chain pharmacies are big I know. I wanted to enter one of them with a help of the agency but later realized it would been better to find something myself. New situations take time to come to an understanding. I wanted to get to this point – who has to pay for the commission – I or the big chain company?
            I think I cannot do locums without gaining some community experience in the UK first but thank you Tony, you gave more self-confidence.
            You are lucky to be born in the UK because where I come from there a pharmacist can't have a Porsche or Las Palmas even after retirement...
            Last edited by kadrig; 5, December 2007, 04:55 PM.

Comment

Kadrig,

For God's sake please just phone up Boots, Lloyds or Rowlands and ask if they have any vacancies.

If you do use an agency the employer pays the commission but why limit yourself?

Please don't try and make me feel sorry for you. I am unaware of your country of origin but the fact is that you are a pharmacist looking for work in England and you will get work. As to how your career develops that is up to you. You may retire rich and you may retire poor, it is a matter of complete indifference to me. You were sensible to do a course that commands a salary that will deliver a comfortable living to you. Now go and do something with it.

Comment

I don’t want anybody to feel sorry for me. I assumed a month ago what I had to do, but I needed someone’s assurance for that. After all employment does help nobody to become rich.
                Thank you!

Comment

Kadrig

Tony's right. But you don't even have to phone. Go down the road to the nearest chain pharmacy. Ask to speak to the manager. Tell him/her that you are a pharmacist and are looking for locum work. Chances are you'll be offered something almost immediately, and if not that the Area Manager will phone you shortly afterwards.

I've never found agencies to be of much use.

The Old Merlin

Comment

Thank you the Old Merlin. I doubt about it if they want me immediately because I don’t have the UK experience and the pharmacy services are quite different here. I can't work independently that's why I need to do some training first and that can be an obstacle hiring me.
                    Last edited by kadrig; 6, December 2007, 11:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by kadrig View Post
                      Thank you the Old Merlin. I doubt about it if they want me immediately because I don’t have the UK experience and the pharmacy services are quite different here. I can't work independently that's why I need to do some training first and that can be an obstacle hiring me.
                      Put and advert in the PJ for yourself.
                      Its not that expensive - single column centimetre rate. Phone them and haggle!
                      In your advert....
                      If you aren't UK experienced say that you are registered but would work as a second pharmacist until you believe yourself to be competent.

What about a visit to your local RPSGB branch and network with some people.

About driving. How about calling a local driving school and get a few conversion lessons to build your confidence.

Hope this helps you to get on.
                      47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
                      2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
                      How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

Thank you Pharmanaut, I think your advice is really useful.

Comment

Originally posted by kadrig View Post
                          I can't work independently that's why I need to do some training first and that can be an obstacle hiring me.

If you don't ask you don't get!

Comment

Lloyds have special training scheme for european pharmacists. One click and you are in.
                            johnep

Comment

Yes I’m aware of 8 weeks training period (I had an interview once). The Lloyds has been a target of my agency almost 2 months and I’m not sure which side has caused the delay (probably both). If I would realized it sooner I had contacted with Lloyds myself. The Lloyds has been so attractive that’s why I haven’t thought about other options much and waited so patiently. At last the agency arranged the second interview with Lloyds.

Comment

Working...
                              X