staff levels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• staff levels

is it allowed for a pharmacy to only use the pre-reg student as the sole staff?? even if its not a particulary busy pharmacy

Re: staff levels

Do you mean "the only human on the premises" (apart from customers), or do you mean "sole staff excluding the pharmacist"?
    Ze genuine Article, present & perfect!

Comment

I would need to confirm this but I think the drug tariff requirement works out at about 1500 prescription items per part time head. Therefore, if the pharmacy does less than 3000 you only need one pharmacist and no-one else.

The figures may be wrong but that is the principle. So if you do say, 1500 items a month you aren't, really entitled to support staff. However, as a governance issue with a locum unfamiliar with systems, layout and computer supported by a recently "degreed" pre-reg I would volunteer that the superintendent may have some questions to answer.

There are rules and there is the safe interpretation of those rules.
      http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Hmbyj0XFUhA

Comment

Up to 3499 prescription items per month you are only required to have a pharmacist with no back up staff as a minimum requirement for payment.

Is that what you were looking for?

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Schofield View Post
          Up to 3499 prescription items per month you are only required to have a pharmacist with no back up staff as a minimum requirement for payment.
          And beyond the 3500 items/month threshold, the definition of "dispensing staff" is wide open to interpretation: Welcome to PSNC- Speaking for Community Pharmacy

Comment

So say a pharmacy did on average between 1400-1800 items per month would that be okay then for just a pre-reg to be as sole staff plus pharmacist.

Comment

You don't even need the pre-reg! The pre-reg is over and above the drug tariff requirement.

However the governance issues raised about using a pharmacist completely unfamiliar with computer and layout could be interesting!

Comment

yes but what if the retail side of the pharmacy is busy compared to the dispensing side then what? Would a sole pharmacist be able to do both?

Comment

Probably not, but he/she wouldn't be breaking any law by attempting to.
                  Just for personal security's sake, I certainly wouldn't ever work alone!
                  (I say that, bu I do recall a couple of years ago sending all the staff home at lunchtime on Xmas eve as the place was dead anyway; I locked the doors, left the lights on, and put a sign up in the window saying "for prescriptions/ urgent medicines, please knock"; I think I saw 7 patients, four of which only popped in to give me their best wishes...)

Comment

Originally posted by confused.com View Post
                    yes but what if the retail side of the pharmacy is busy compared to the dispensing side then what? Would a sole pharmacist be able to do both?
                    As I say, the drug tariff requirement is related exclusively to prescription volume. If you believe however, that the pharmacy you are working in to be a danger to the public then you must act appropriately. I think the circumstances you describe sound unfortunate but that prescription volume is very low. Insisting on a pharmacy interact educated assistant when you have someone with a degree in pharmacy...........?

Being realistic you should refuse to work there unless you have staff who can support you. I don't think you have grounds to complain to the RPSGB but just don't work there again.

Comment

Working...
                    X