pharm industry gifts/payments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pharm industry gifts/payments

A company want me to give my opinion on whether to apply for a marketing authorisation for a new product they are currently launching. They are offering to pay me for giving this opinioin along with other opinions of their new product. My question is, is this ok, I have read some thing in the past about accepting 'gifts' from pharm industry but it's very vague. Any advice please.

Re: pharm industry gifts/payments

A payment for work done is not a gift. If the payment is appropriate for the amount of work and expertise involved and you are free to give an honest opinion then I don't see a problem.
    If they are offering thousands for a few minutes work that basically involves saying the product is wonderful then it is a different matter.

Comment

Accepting gifts depends on your "vested interest" status. e.g. a prescriber accepting a gold watch and then prescribing that company's products when better products exist. Ordering too much stock as a manager when your employer has no hope of selling it but accepting an incentive so to do. What you are describing is a company paying you in some way for your expert opinion in your own time. Entirely a matter between you and them. Be honest in your opinion and make sure they make it worth your while......
      http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Hmbyj0XFUhA

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Schofield View Post
        Accepting gifts depends on your "vested interest" status. e.g. a prescriber accepting a gold watch and then prescribing that company's products when better products exist. Ordering too much stock as a manager when your employer has no hope of selling it but accepting an incentive so to do. What you are describing is a company paying you in some way for your expert opinion in your own time. Entirely a matter between you and them. Be honest in your opinion and make sure they make it worth your while......
        Remember to declare it as income to the Revenue, though!

Comment

Long gone are the days when reps would hand out the keys for a new car, a holiday home or even a yacht... The bare minimum would be a posh meal and a lovely weekend away in a plush hotel...

Comment

Originally posted by kayfur View Post
            Long gone are the days when reps would hand out the keys for a new car, a holiday home or even a yacht... The bare minimum would be a posh meal and a lovely weekend away in a plush hotel...
            We got an Osmosin demonstration unit in the early 1980s
            Kept us amused for hours watching the blue dye pump out of the dummy tablet.
            47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
            2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
            How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

It was fascinating technology, but flawed.
              johnep

Comment

Originally posted by hibernia View Post
                A payment for work done is not a gift. If the payment is appropriate for the amount of work and expertise involved and you are free to give an honest opinion then I don't see a problem.
                If they are offering thousands for a few minutes work that basically involves saying the product is wonderful then it is a different matter.
                I agree. But there is a balance to be struck between what your time is worth, and what benefit they will get. At minimum you are worth your normal locum rate but I would say for this sort of thing 3 figures is not unreasonable. even if it only takes you a couple of hours to do it. Don't undervalue yourself.

Comment

The big racket was when Drs required to attend post graduate courses. These were organised by pharma in the Med, Tropics, Cruises and at ski resorts. All free to Drs with others ie WAGs paying a nominal sum.
                  The local Post Grad Centre depended on funding and lunches from pharma. When I took over the local branch, we were broke (a mailing cost £125.)
                  I made use of my time as a rep to distribute leaflets re branch meetings and also got the wholesalers to put some in their tote boxes. Meetings were organised so a local rep gave a talk or sponsored a talk by a consultant. I found the Johnsons rep talk on dressings very helpful. They met the cost of room hire and provided refreshments. Within a year we had over a £1,000 in the branch account and this soon reached £3,000. Because people were loath to serve on the committee or attend AGMs, the former always at a restaurant with meal provided and the latter at a normal branch meeting with refreshments provided. Result, no problems in recruiting for the committee and branch attendance soared, we had to book larger rooms.
                  Then the RPS struck and killed the branch system!
                  johnep

Comment

I also don't see anything if you test it and say honest opinion, I know that time of this thread has already gone, however I was interested in the replies of other pharmacists here) I usually don't accept presents from other pharmacy companies, I just accept gives from some beer companies, lol. My friends usually order me gift baskets full of beer and snacks for various celebrations and holidays. They order it usually from jetgiftbaskets.com. They say it's a great servicing on pretty affordable prices. When people ask me for advice what medications should they take, but I see that they're almost healthy, but too anxious about their symptoms and everything, I suggest them to order beer and relax, lol
                    Last edited by Julian16; 7, July 2020, 06:39 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X