A Locum revolution

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Locum revolution

I have been thinking. 38% of community pharmacists are locums. Let's increase our rate (please read on now) We are about to be sold out due to remote supervision. This will be around 18 months time at the most. We may be forced to get permanent jobs (no variety,pants salary,tax,a boss). Currently, most companies pay a flat, pants rate of 22-25 per hour (price fixing) which has been around for too long. If no locum gets booked, the pharmacy cannot open. Why don't we get a message around to every locum and set a flat fee of £35-£40 per hour from a date in 2008. This will compensate for the society fees increase and loss of earnings due to less future locum vacancies. This may even turn the screw on multiples and drain some much needed profit, before they screw us. Please add your thoughts, I would be keen to set a date in 2008 and begin a campaign.
    Last edited by u2bawooly; 21, November 2007, 11:10 PM. Reason: forgot something

Re: A Locum revolution

Needs must as the devil drives. Very difficult to unite anyone where possiblity of not earning for a period, but still need to pay the mortgage etc.

Supply and demand is the master of our fate, unless the govnmt changes the ground rules at the behest of CCA and makes do without pharmacists.

Otherwise we will become like actors and lawyers, good pay when actually working but if not, then on the dole.
    johnep

Comment

Is this a call to arms?

This is exactly the sort of nonsense that will encourage proprietors/contractors to cut back on locums if they don't need them legally.

You accuse proprietors of price fixing then seek to do exactly the same thing yourself. I suppose what is sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander but please don't spray around accusations that can also be levelled at yourself.

Myself, I believe that the responsible pharmacist/remote supervision debate will not have the outcome you predict. I believe you should be acquiring new skills such as phlebotomy, prescribing qualifications , clinical skills and counselling skills, particularly motivational interviewing. In this way you will make yourself more employable and able to command a bigger fee when the changes do come about.

If you worked locally to me and attempted such a hare brained scheme I would never engage you as a locum and happily forgoe time off. The relationship between locums and contractors is far more subtle than you seem to believe.

If you continue to judge all contractors by the standards of the worst then you must allow contractors to judge locums by the same criteria. Thankfully all locums are not like you so your ill judged nonsense will progress no further.
      Last edited by Tony Schofield; 22, November 2007, 04:27 PM.
      http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Hmbyj0XFUhA

Comment

And while we are at it, you have previously posted that pharmacists who possess clinical skills command salaries of basic grade pharmacists of about £24000. I have done some investigating and locally I am unaware of any pharmacists working in practices on SLAs of less than £30 per hour and no PCT employed pharmacists working for less than the high £40ks plus 6 weeks paid holiday, paid sick leave and NHS pensions.

Your rallying call indicates that you have set your sites very low. However please keep posting because we all need a good laugh once in a while!

Comment

Good to hear that multiples are so kind and charitable. There I was believing profit was their driving force, but all along they have been doing their bit for long term prospects of pharmacists. Time to get a peice of the pie before we are squeezed out. Self employment all the way. Safety in numbers.

Comment

Would you be kind enough to explain to me, in simple English please as I am a simple soul, how you conluded what you have said as a consequence of my contribution?

Or was it someone else's contribution you drew your conclusions from?

Comment

We need to turn the screw on the multiple monopoly now. There is nothing wrong with asking for more. This is our prerogative as working people. Rates are currently being oppressed for no good reason. Lets up the rate and squeeze the employer as we have room to do so. The sooner the better while it lasts.

Comment

May I have a pint of what he's drinking please?

Comment

Originally posted by u2bawooly View Post
                  We need to turn the screw on the multiple monopoly now.
                  So have differrent rates for different contractors - I always have.

(Oh and the rate quoted by most multiples has no relation to the amount they agree to pay)

Jeff

Comment

[I am unaware of any pharmacists working in practices on SLAs of less than £30 per hour and no PCT employed pharmacists working for less than the high £40ks plus 6 weeks paid holiday, paid sick leave and NHS pensions.

>>>>>>FALSE FALSE FALSE <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

High 40ks, 6 weeks holiday....Not in my neck of the woods

PCT Pharmacist > 3 years ( 16+ years on RPSGB register)
                    Kemzo the pharmacist forumly known as kemzero

Comment

I said in my area. So what are the terms and conditions in yours?

Comment

Essex rates range from £21.50-£26/hr max 2 sessions a day = 8 hours

whilst permanent PCT pharmacists tend to be on the new Agenda for change pay bands
                        Band 7-8d ( £28k- 70K)
                        Kemzo the pharmacist forumly known as kemzero

Comment

Well i thought i would have provoked more of a response here. There are 3 types of lies. You know the rest.

Comment

Well i thought i would have provoked more of a response here. There are 3 types of lies. You know the rest.
                            Too tired to respond mate.
                            47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
                            2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
                            How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

Well I thought i would have provoked more of a response here.
                              To be honest I used to charge different rates, depending on how difficult the shop was, but it all got too complicated. I just charge a flat £25/hour now. I get the occasional good deal of £150 for a Saturday 9am to 1pm but only about 6 of them a year.

I am basically quite happy how much I earn really. If I work a 40 hour five day week I earn £225 x 5 = £1125 a week. That's enough for me. In fact I only work a four day week as thats enough and I like my Wednesday off.

A lot of the pharmacies I work in hardly seem to make a profit, so I don't see how I can increase that to be fair.
                              Lively debate is encouraged but please respect the opinions and feelings of others.
                              Please help keep the forum vibrant by spreading the work to friends and colleagues via word of mouth or social media.
                              Thank you for contributing to this site.

Comment

Working...
                              X