Phenylephrine or pseudoephedrine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phenylephrine or pseudoephedrine

Have we won the war and lost the peace? Went to sell a pack of Sudafed yesterday and note now contained phenylephrine. Checked BNF and no mention of the latter as decongestant.

Right you pharmacologists, whats the difference and how do they compare.?

If pharma changes to phenylephrine then we have fought for the right to sell pseudoephedrine in vain.

johnep

Re: Phenylephrine or pseudoephedrine

Sudafed Decongestant tabs = P med = pseudoephedrine 60mg;
    Sudafed Congestion Relief caps = GSL = phenylephrine 12mg;
    Both boxes are white and blue, and very very similar... I'm sure it's been done on purpose to mislead the public...
    Ze genuine Article, present & perfect!

Comment

Here in the U.S., pseudoephedrine has been pulled off the OTC shelves and only kept "behind the counter", mainly due to many people using it to make "methamphetamine". Phenylephrine has replaced it as the decongestants sold on shelves. I believe, clinically, phenylephrine is considered less effective. However, I think the largest comparator between the two decongestants is that phenylephrine cannot be converted to methamphetamine. That's the reason in the U.S. and perhaps, maybe in the UK. The FDA here also just mandated certain OTC child cough/cold products containing decongestants be pulled altogether as there are no data to support using in children <6yrs and they are generally ineffective anyway. The biggest reason is there are many cases where parents giving these to their children overdosed them...

Comment

Both are drugs of limited clinical value. I never sell either, I tell 'em to inhale steam. However I don't have a numpty telling me what my sales target is every week!
        http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Hmbyj0XFUhA

Comment

I had a period some years ago when I suffered from nose bleeds. One Sunday was working in Banbury and woke up with a nose bleed that would just not stop. I tried using a nasal spray to constrict the blood vessels (like using adrenaline on a boxer), but not very effective. I drove some 50 miles to work with a plug of cotton wool in each nostril.

The bleeding steadily got worse and in desperation I took Sudafed to again try to constrict the blood vessels. Fortunately not very busy and customers and staff very understanding. I asked if any chance of relief but locum coordinator working at another branch said none available. I 'phoned local hospital (JR at Oxford) and was lucky to get through to the ENT duty Dr who advised that I would need my nose to be plugged and this would need at least an overnight stay.

At last got home and wife drove me to hospital where I stayed for three days.
          BP was 220 plus and I was told lucky not to have had a stroke.

BP brought under control and nose was cauterised and no further trouble, and no more taking oral decongestants.

At least this episode ensured that I always checked re BP when selling decongestants.

Presume pseudoephedrine will be withdrawn by the manufacturers eventually as was phenylpropolamine in Contact. We seem to be driven by events in USA. We are lucky to still have codeine and diamorphine, although oxycodone seems to have taken over in palliative care. (Must study for cpd)

johnep

johnep

Comment

Pseudoephedrine possibly will be withdrawn despite it taking uneconomic quantities to produce meagre yields of methamphetamine. Most pseudoephedrine in "meth labs" comes from the Eastern bloc and China in industrial quantities but a medicine may be denied the public because of a knee jerk reaction. Thankfully therapeutically it is a drug of limited clinical value.

Comment

I thought that the paracetamol combinations are ok because its very difficult to separate the paracetamol and psuedoephedrine. Or is this an myth?

I agree with Tony, except when a patient specially asked for a decongestant I try to encourage steam (or at one time back home: menthol crystals.... I think that pharmacy had a target)
              Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time.
              (T. Pratchett)

Comment

Interestingly, pseudoephedrine has a less well known use: to treat priapism, although, I doubt that it will make any diference OTC!

Comment

At 53.........? That I should be so lucky!!

Comment

Originally posted by Raju View Post
                    Interestingly, pseudoephedrine has a less well known use: to treat priapism, although, I doubt that it will make any diference OTC!
                    Don't get many rustic fertility gods visiting the pharmacy these days, so that might be why use has declined.
                    47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
                    2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
                    How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

Originally posted by paul2008 View Post
                      I thought that the paracetamol combinations are ok because its very difficult to separate the paracetamol and psuedoephedrine. Or is this an myth?

I agree with Tony, except when a patient specially asked for a decongestant I try to encourage steam (or at one time back home: menthol crystals.... I think that pharmacy had a target)
                      Disagree...
                      Pseudoephedrine every time.
                      For a few weeks when autumn changes to winter it works wonders for me.
                      It all started post-registration when I used to travel on a motorbike to do locums before passing driving test. Up to 250cc on a provisional in those days....
                      Remember driving around 3 miles with both feet sliding on the ice to borrow some ESTP from another village pharmacy. (Ether Soluble Tar Paste). Those were the days.
                      47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
                      2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
                      How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

Wish I'd known that when I was a pre-reg. Had someone come into store on a Sunday wearing a brown mac (honestly!!!) He'd accidently stabbed his friend's syringe into his leg.....(didn't ask for anymore details)
                        The label on the syringe was papaverine......8 hours later it was agony and he thought "the pharmacist" might be able to help.
                        Titch

Comment

If I had priapism, the last thing I would do is walk into a pharmacy to buy it !!

Comment

Originally posted by paul2008 View Post

I think it's a myth as these combos were also pulled in the U.S. I think people have figured out how to extract from these as well...

Comment

Originally posted by pharout View Post
                              If I had priapism, the last thing I would do is walk into a pharmacy to buy it !!
                              I have a feeling I might spot you coming........
                              Lively debate is encouraged but please respect the opinions and feelings of others.
                              Please help keep the forum vibrant by spreading the work to friends and colleagues via word of mouth or social media.
                              Thank you for contributing to this site.

Comment

Working...
                              X