Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Break in career advice

Hi,

I'm currently doing my pre-reg in hospital (which is the area of pharmacy I want to work in). However I want to go travelling for 4 or 5 months after I finish my pre-reg, before I get stuck into my career.

Has anyone done something similar? Or do people think it might be difficult to get back into pharmacy after a short break? I think I'm just looking for reassurance that I wont have major problems when I come back and try to find a job. The thought of going straight into being responsible for everything after a few months of no pharmacy at all seems a bit daunting, but I want to travel now before I get stuck into my diploma.

Any thoughts would be welcome!

Re: Break in career advice

It's a great idea. You should go ahead and do it. It won't be difficult getting back into things when you get back. If you're really concerened then just do a couple of months of relief work or locumming before you head off. It'll be a good way to make some cash for the trip and you'll also realise that you won't need to worry about getting back into it when you're back from your travelling.

Comment

As soon as you arrive in a town, visit the local pharmacy. You will usually be made very welcome and often invited to dinner. When I was in export, always did this and always had a warm welcome.
      johnep

Comment

Originally posted by cezlaa View Post
        Hi,

I'm currently doing my pre-reg in hospital (which is the area of pharmacy I want to work in). However I want to go travelling for 4 or 5 months after I finish my pre-reg, before I get stuck into my career.

Has anyone done something similar? Or do people think it might be difficult to get back into pharmacy after a short break? I think I'm just looking for reassurance that I wont have major problems when I come back and try to find a job. The thought of going straight into being responsible for everything after a few months of no pharmacy at all seems a bit daunting, but I want to travel now before I get stuck into my diploma.

For my first 12 years post registration it was my habit to work for 18 months and then travel for 6.
        However it was a long time ago, times might have changed and it wasn't a hospital environment that I was working in.

It's now time for me to start planning the Silk Route for when the kids are at uni.

Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by cezlaa View Post
          I'd say do it. If you are going to return to hospital pharmacy you won't be alone, unlike in retail. Go have some fun.
          Lively debate is encouraged but please respect the opinions and feelings of others.
          Please help keep the forum vibrant by spreading the work to friends and colleagues via word of mouth or social media.
          Thank you for contributing to this site.

Comment

If you want a high flying career now is the time to take that break. If you don't care, take them at regular intervals during your career.

Travel broadens the mind and no experience is lost. At the moment it is easy to get another job in pharmacy. Some employers admire the sort of spirit of independence you are exhibiting.
            http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Hmbyj0XFUhA

Comment

I knew a pharmacist who did what you're planning and en route got a job with the Flying Doctor Service in Oz!

Someone else worked on a cruise liner (as a pharmacist).

Comment

Talking of cruise liners. When in port (Tibury) P&O ships used to have a training crew including Dr and Pharmacist. I used to call as a rep on the Strathmore to visit the Dr and pharmacist and have marvellous lunches served by the practice crew. Also got so drunk that was careful to pass the policeman on duty to my near side and sleep it off in a field. (This was 1961).

Off on a cruise for my 50th wedding anniversay next year.
                johnep

Comment

Originally posted by johnep View Post
                  Talking of cruise liners. When in port (Tibury) P&O ships used to have a training crew including Dr and Pharmacist. I used to call as a rep on the Strathmore to visit the Dr and pharmacist and have marvellous lunches served by the practice crew. Also got so drunk that was careful to pass the policeman on duty to my near side and sleep it off in a field. (This was 1961).

Off on a cruise for my 50th wedding anniversay next year.
                  johnep
                  You seem to have had all the fun John!

I went on a cruise last year and loved it!
                  Lively debate is encouraged but please respect the opinions and feelings of others.
                  Please help keep the forum vibrant by spreading the work to friends and colleagues via word of mouth or social media.
                  Thank you for contributing to this site.

Comment

I was pleased to see it was not my cruise ship that did a Titanic this week.
                    We will be in warmer waters.
                    johnep

Comment

Working...
                    X