Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternative careers for Pharmacy students

Hi,

I'm currently a 2nd year pharmacy student who is worried about the future of the profession and although I would love to practice as a pharmacist I fear the oversupply of graduates will degrade the profession if that is not already the case and I worry about the downward effect this will ultimately have on pay.

So my question to you is what alternative career paths are there for those with a pharmacy degree that are not necessarily related to pharmacy?

Thanks

Re: Alternative careers for Pharmacy students

This topic come up several times.Use the search box to search the forum.
    johnep

Comment

If you have a yearning, graduate in pharmacy but become a science teacher via PGCE.
      Pharmacists would make good science teachers as we realise there are no real boundaries between the sciences.
      Possible busaries if you look for them.
      TEFL (Teaching English as a Foreign Language used to be advertised a lot)

As Johnep says - search the forum.
      47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
      2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
      How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

I recently had a meeting with the pharmacy schools careers advisor - they were bemused that I would consider a career outside of pharmacy.

I then pointed out:
        (1) The cap on student numbers has been officially removed.
        (2) More Schools of pharmacy are being built.
        (3) Remote supervision is back on the agenda.

They were shocked - the academics had assured them that everything was good and supply was controlled to meet demand, i.e. they'd lied to the schools careers advisor.

She had no alternative career to suggest because pharmacy is such a vocational degree!

Comment

Would I recommend a pharmacy degree to my kids at the moment...no.

However a pharmacy degree is not an easy option and it does give valuable and transferable skills that could be used elsewhere but you would have to find something that interests you. I think any pharmacy student who is seriously thinking about their career prospects need to look at making sure they get a wide base to their professional experience and don't get stuck in a rut early on.

Clinical trial companies use pharmacists a fair bit, not just at the coal-face of trial dispensing but in a lot of the admin work. These companies offer much better career prospects than traditional pharmacist roles.

I have been a pharmacist for well over 20 years when graduates were basically guaranteed a job if they wanted one but things have changed and students need to have a flexible approach.

Comment

The only really suitable course to do so as not to waste the pharmacy degree is to try and get into medicine where the prospects are still excellent. These days it may be possible to enter an EU medical course if not enough places in the UK and you could then come back. Obviously it is preferable to go straight into medicine but if you have made the terrible mistake to choose pharmacy going on to medicine may be your best career move.

Comment

Thanks - I'd lost touch with the science teacher option. Bet there are lots of Biochemistry graduates chasing it now.
              Also the TEFL.

Going into medicine is an option but after a 4 year MPharm (assuming you would to the pharmacy pre-reg) then another 5 years (unless you get a waiver) of medicine is a long haul.

Not sure what the market is for Optics graduates?
              But it is still a 3 year course.
              47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
              2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
              How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

Opticians are about to experience an oversupply of graduates - my personal tutor warned me!

There's an excellent post on this forum from a student in the same position as you: Here.

Medicine would be my option - If I have to continue with the degree, I'll try to do medicine or dentistry.

You are obviously very switched on - I recently talked to a 3rd year recently and he hadn't a clue.

Keep calm and talk to a number of people - including your personal tutor, careers advisor and as many working pharmacists as you can.
                Last edited by Jamey; 28, July 2015, 02:27 PM.

Comment

Hi,

Here's a few careers ideas within pharmacy that you may not have thought of (you may have already considered them, but just in case):
                  http://www.pharmaceutical-journal.co...135403.article

Emma

Comment

Johnny - you can't reply in the same monotonous robotic manner to each newbie. What if the question was asked a month or year ago....don't ideas and opinions and thought evolve over time? This is a DISCUSSION forum after all. ..not a static Web info site.

Ps pharmacy student - ill tell you John answers. From memory: industry, science teacher, drug rep, perfumerist, working on a cruise ship.

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Mackenzie View Post
                      The only really suitable course to do so as not to waste the pharmacy degree is to try and get into medicine where the prospects are still excellent. These days it may be possible to enter an EU medical course if not enough places in the UK and you could then come back. Obviously it is preferable to go straight into medicine but if you have made the terrible mistake to choose pharmacy going on to medicine may be your best career move.
                      So predictable Gordon! Go to medicine then - like it's the lush green grass you fantasise it to be. Don't assume as pharmacists were good enough or want to be medics. They're a gulf apart in every way.

Comment

Originally posted by zakkaz View Post
                        So predictable Gordon! Go to medicine then - like it's the lush green grass you fantasise it to be. Don't assume as pharmacists were good enough or want to be medics. They're a gulf apart in every way.
                        A lot of us have the same grades needed to be doctors and dentists, zakkaz.

I'd be a dentist but I wouldn't be too keen on being a doctor - it's not a 9-5 job.

Comment

You need 4 or 5 A at a - level to be considered for dentistry or medicine.
                          You can still get into pharmacy with a mix of a and b.
                          What I'm saying is once qualified, pharmacy is a gulf apart from the other 2....which is why the other 2 deserve their 6 figure salaries.

Comment

Zakkaz I am trying to warn students not to waste their talents on a job like pharmacy which is going nowhere. The job is controlled by international corporations. They are mean and want to keep everything for themselves. You will not be offered substantial share holdings, you will not be offered partnerships, there will be few perks and they will eventually dispose of pharmacists. You will also have little hope of promotion or an interesting career and wages will keep on declining. The RPS is weak beyond words and will not ensure that education is added to give pharmacists hope of freeing themselves from the offshore chains. So my advice is do not do pharmacy and study medicine instead.

Comment

Hi, take a look at this blog about alternative careers for pharmacists

http://www.pharmaceutical-journal.co.../11133598.blog

Comment

Working...
                              X