Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electronic Transfer of Prescriptions

Hi there!

Anyone out there seen the "Connecting for heath" ETP leaflet.

I'm worried. The leaflet says that labels will be automatically generated by retrieving the Rx. What about interaction checks? Or notes like "MUST have COX Atenolol? Will we still get those?

The main worry for me though is the infrastructure set up to do this.
    I assumed we'd receive Rxs like e-mail direct from the surgeries, this worried me anyway because of how easily e-mail systems can break down especially with the workload this will be under.
    But no! It seems that the GP writes an Rx, sends it to a central NHS server and then we have to access that server to retrieve the Rx.
    How many different ways can that go wrong? I could probably think of a dozen without even breaking a sweat!

Six months ago the head of the local LPC told us that the only working ETP system in use amounted to a GP sending Rxs the the Pharmacist in the same building! I do hope they pull their finger out and do full testing before starting! (Like they did with the Oxygen changeover!)

Linnear MRPharmS
    Linnear MRPharmS

Foetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder: The biggest cause of brain damage and 100% preventable.

In pregnancy: 1 fag is not safe, 1 x-ray is not safe and 1 drink is not safe.

For handy pharmacy links try
    pharmacistance.co.uk

If you like my posts or letters in the journal try my books!
    eloquent-e-tales

One big mistake

Linnear

You are right, how many ways can this go wrong, well dozens really. Is the technology there to do this, well probably, but are the people running the system capable of using it properly? I doubt it.

Can you imagine what it will be like when the system goes down? People go mad if the Dr's surgery forgets to print them a script, and we have to take a bit of time phoning up etc getting them a new one. When we can't access this new system, they will blame us!

Servers can go wrong, get bottle necked etc. Do you think they will buy their own dedicated servers, or just rent some via a hosting company? Owning a server needs people to keep it running smoothly, do we think that will happen?

On the label front, can we then change the labels. I always change simvastatin - take one daily, to take one at night. There are lots of other examples, too numerous to mention. Occasionally Dr's put on the script - must come in for a blood test, do we have that on the label too?

We used to have a good oxygen service, now we have people struggling to breathe!

Comment

Re: One big mistake

Originally posted by Apothecary

On the label front, can we then change the labels. I always change simvastatin - take one daily, to take one at night. There are lots of other examples, too numerous to mention. Occasionally Dr's put on the script - must come in for a blood test, do we have that on the label too?

We used to have a good oxygen service, now we have people struggling to breathe!
      There was a good letter in the journal this week saying that it's time that Pharmacists started using their initiative and training regarding poor directions and I wrote one saying it makes me sick to see supposed professionals worried sick over whether they've printed the label exactly as the Dr wrote the RX.

Of course I also plugged my website www.pharmacistanceuk.bravehost.com and this one.

Can't hurt! :wink:
      Linnear MRPharmS

Foetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder: The biggest cause of brain damage and 100% preventable.

In pregnancy: 1 fag is not safe, 1 x-ray is not safe and 1 drink is not safe.

For handy pharmacy links try
      pharmacistance.co.uk

If you like my posts or letters in the journal try my books!
      eloquent-e-tales

Comment

Poor Directions

The problem is that a lot of scripts are generated via a hospital consultant, and are frequently outside usual doses or licences. What do you do then?

Well done for plugging your site - no it can't hurt

Comment

Re: One big mistake

Originally posted by Apothecary
          Linnear
          I always change simvastatin - take one daily, to take one at night.
          I record the intervention and write to the prescriber to have the dose changed.
          OK the PCT has a prescription intervention scheme that pays a fiver for me to do so - but I would draw your atention to a message on PrivateRx from Tony Schofield on OTC medicines (sorry the rules don't allow me to quote) I agree with his penultimate sentence - but not his last.

Jeff

Comment

Working...
          X