pay for pharmacist in the future

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pay for pharmacist in the future

Many people say that the pay for pharmacists will go down in the future. Do you think this is true, or will the pay increase or stay around the same in the future. This is concerning me alot. I dont want to go to uni for 4 tears and get a low pay. what would you say average pay is for pharmacist with 5 years experience. Thankyou peeps

Re: pay for pharmacist in the future

I think you're right. Pay will probably stay the same, increase or decrease.

Sorry, it's just that you've asked that question at a time where it is impossible to answer it.

The Royal Pharmaceutical Society is to be split and we will be governed by a new body which will be totally new.

We are trying to sort out "The Responsible Pharmacist" at the moment which could completely alter the way pharmacists work at the moment.

Next year we will have a Govt consultation on what the Responsible Pharmacist will be responsible for. That one will include remote supervision.

There are countless bodies discussing pharmacy at the moment and all are looking to possible changes to the way pharmacists work and what there job will be.

The Society itself has just started its Pharmacy 2020 programme to try to lead pharmacy in possibly new directions.

Any one of these things could alter pharmacy forever, put them all together and you've got a whole lot of variables which could alter pharmacy pay.
    Linnear MRPharmS

Foetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder: The biggest cause of brain damage and 100% preventable.

In pregnancy: 1 fag is not safe, 1 x-ray is not safe and 1 drink is not safe.

For handy pharmacy links try
    pharmacistance.co.uk

If you like my posts or letters in the journal try my books!
    eloquent-e-tales

Comment

Why go to university for 4 tears when you can have 4 great years?

Maybe its different in the UK, although I haven't seen any pharmacy students crying yet....must look harder.

As for the pay, it is more important to figure out if you will enjoy being a pharmacist or whether the job will drive you crazy.
      Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time.
      (T. Pratchett)

Comment

Originally posted by paul2008 View Post
        Why go to university for 4 tears when you can have 4 great years?

Maybe its different in the UK, although I haven't seen any pharmacy students crying yet....must look harder.

As for the pay, it is more important to figure out if you will enjoy being a pharmacist or whether the job will drive you crazy.
        It depends on what sector you end up in and what your working conditions are like. For me the money in community just isn't good enough to put up with the stress, long hours of intense concentration and the tons and tons of legal responsibility. If it was half as much again then the answer would be "Yes".
        47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
        2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
        How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

Originally posted by paul2008 View Post
          You should have been at my summer exams last year

I'm concerned as well riks. The degree is a long hard slog and you're not the only one who wants it to be worthwhile in the end but when paul2008 says "it is more important to figure out if you will enjoy being a pharmacist" he's hit the nail on the head. I'm in third year now and it's quite worrying the number of people on my course who aren't as sure as they used to be. The thing is, it's hard to know if a profession is for you until you know much more about it which is quite hard to achieve from just short-term work-shadowing or work experience before embarking on the degree so I'd speak to as many pharmacists as you can for their no-frills opinion of a career in pharmacy.

Comment

Originally posted by snowy View Post
            The thing is, it's hard to know if a profession is for you until you know much more about it which is quite hard to achieve from just short-term work-shadowing or work experience before embarking on the degree so I'd speak to as many pharmacists as you can for their no-frills opinion of a career in pharmacy.
            It's whatever you want to make of it. The "resposible pharmacist" consultation offers endless opportunities for professional development (as well as the threats)

Must see if I can get Tony Schofield to join this forum so that you can hear from an optimistic and enthusiastic pharmacist.

Jeff

Comment

Aaaaahhhh,
              Who's the lovely pussycat, Jeff? Pray, do introduce us!
              Ze genuine Article, present & perfect!

Comment

Originally posted by Zoggite View Post
                Aaaaahhhh,
                Who's the lovely pussycat, Jeff? Pray, do introduce us!
                He's called Cyriak

Jeff

Comment

Its like this muppets, simple supply and demand economics. When supply of pharmacists increases, more competition = less vacancies and salary drop (as pharmacists must undercut each other to get a job). less demand (ie fewer vacancies) = lower salaries as, again, pharmacists must compete and undercut each other for jobs. Currently, we have (frivolously) increased the number of schools of pharmacy to meet the supply shortage - ie increasing supply. When responsible pharmacist and remote supervision (ie 1 pharmacist can operate 2 or more pharmacies) appear very soon, demand drops by a factor of how many pharmacies can be remotely supervised. In conclusion, more pharmacists competing for less jobs = steady decline in salary. We brought this on ourselves. DO NOT AGREE TO REMOTE SUPERVISION FOR THE ABOVE REASONS.

Comment

Originally posted by u2bawooly View Post
                    Its like this muppets, simple supply and demand economics. When supply of pharmacists increases, more competition = less vacancies and salary drop (as pharmacists must undercut each other to get a job). less demand (ie fewer vacancies) = lower salaries as, again, pharmacists must compete and undercut each other for jobs. Currently, we have (frivolously) increased the number of schools of pharmacy to meet the supply shortage - ie increasing supply. When responsible pharmacist and remote supervision (ie 1 pharmacist can operate 2 or more pharmacies) appear very soon, demand drops by a factor of how many pharmacies can be remotely supervised. In conclusion, more pharmacists competing for less jobs = steady decline in salary. We brought this on ourselves. DO NOT AGREE TO REMOTE SUPERVISION FOR THE ABOVE REASONS.
                    Yeah lets continue to hide behind the dispensary bench and see how much we can increase the script count - if on the other hand you want more from a career - we need the tools to allow us to do so.

Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff View Post
                      Yeah lets continue to hide behind the dispensary bench and see how much we can increase the script count - if on the other hand you want more from a career - we need the tools to allow us to do so.

Jeff
                      Absolutely, Jeff. And there are plenty of jobs advertised in the PJ which do not mean hiding in the dispensary.

Something like this discussion has been going on in the pharmaceutical press ever since I started in pharmacy around 50 years ago. At that time, I can recall, the course was two years to the Pharmaceutical Chemist Diploma, plus two years (if you did it before college) or one (if you did it after) "practical training". When it was decided that a three year degree was more appropriate, plus the present year post-grad, the columns of the PJ were full of people prophesying the end of the profession "as they knew it" and take-over by "certificated dispensers".
                      What happened was that, especially in hospital, pharmacy flexed it's intellectual muscles and came out of the dispensary. Now there are all sorts of demanding and rewarding jobs in public service.

As I see it, handled properly, by people who are prepared to grasp new opportunities, this will present all sorts of new jobs and functions.

I'm at the end of my working life now, but I envy those starting out; they've so much more choice.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff View Post

Jeff
                        Surely if you are supervising two pharmacies you don't do that for the same salary. It would be double the salary? Anyway, what if you refuse to remotely supervise if you think it is not safe to do so, who can make you do it? If they say 'go home then', that leaves both sites uncovered, unless they can coerce someone into supervising them. Leaves me to wonder if the RPSGB will leave this decision to the 'responsible pharmacist'. Perhaps its time to get this in front of the general press.
                        47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
                        2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
                        How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

Originally posted by Pharmanaut View Post
                          Surely if you are supervising two pharmacies you don't do that for the same salary. It would be double the salary? Anyway, what if you refuse to remotely supervise if you think it is not safe to do so, who can make you do it? If they say 'go home then', that leaves both sites uncovered, unless they can coerce someone into supervising them. Leaves me to wonder if the RPSGB will leave this decision to the 'responsible pharmacist'. Perhaps its time to get this in front of the general press.
                          Remote supervision will come - all that is to be debated is what it means.

Do we want to be able to supervise the dispensary and shop P sales while conducting a MUR if be have sufficient confidence in ouir staff ?

Wouldn't it be bettern to save the interuptions for those occasions where the staff are unsure rather than every script or every P sale?

We have the ability to help define "responsible pharmacist" - in order to have "sufficient confidence" in our staff - how about a definition including - a pharmacist who has worked 100 hours in that branch over the past 3 months"? (must get this over to Linnears thread)

The above scenario - very different from the one you present - requires no change in salary - supplies the time to use more of our cognitive and clinical skills in whatever new services we can organise.

Jeff

Comment

Absolutely right guys, we should get out of the dispensary. But we are being led by the illusion created by those who do not represent the individual pharmacist that we must give up our responsibility over P meds, which is false. The limiting factor keeping pharmacists in the dispensary is dispensing, not checking. That is what hinders intervention and counselling etc.
                            DOUBLE SALARY? Why pay one person twice as much, when you can employ 2 people? OBVIOUSLY the salary would be less than double. You are giving the private sector far too much credit. They cut costs wherever possible. Tell me how can a technician counsel a patient when they aren't experts in drugs? There is a massive problem in pharmacy (spawning MURs) that patients don't get ANY counselling on there medicines. By removing the pharmacist from the 'handing out' process, we brush it under the carpet, in the hope that MURs retrospectively counsel the patient. Why not tackle at the source?

Comment

I agree with you. The advanced service should be when the patient gets the item for the first time, and then sits down with the pharmacist to have everything explained before he starts taking it. This would prevent many problems.

I would love to do that, but in busy chemists I just don't have nor the time nor the privacy to do that.

Comment

Working...
                              X