X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Golabek10
    • Jun 2018

Pharmacy Technician salary

Probably that question was already asked before, but couldn't find it so thought will ask again.

Just qualified as a Pharmacy Technician and my manager gave me a whooping 20p more for a 2 years hard work, so I wen't form £9.40 to £9.60 p/h.
    Is it a standard pay rise for a technicians? I feel that's a rubbish pay rise for someone who's been working for the company for over 10 years (community pharmacy)
    What people earn as a Pharmacy Technician please?
    I know that in a different parts of the country salary may vary, im in Shropshire.
    Am I underpay? Is it standard salary for the technician please?
    I would appreciate peoples opinions.
    Many thanks
  • johnep
    • Nov 2006

APTUK are the tech union, probably publish salary scales in hospital. Retail can pay what they like above minimum wage.
    johnep

Comment

• Golabek10
      • Jun 2018

Thank you jonhep for your reply. I will try to negotiate as I think I wasn’t treated very fair.

Comment

• johnep
        • Nov 2006

They will be happy for you to leave and be replaced by someone on minimum wage.
        johnep

Comment

• mcitr
          King Amongst Members
          • Jan 2016

Read Chris Voss's book on negotiation.

Comment

• orangiey
            Loyal Member
            • Apr 2011

sadly that's the world of retail, remember community Pharmacists often see Technicians as nothing more than glorified dispensers and many resent the face we look for recognition as they don't think we know much more or deserve it (and I've been told that to my face) and so warrant in their minds any extra for 2 years training......it won't change as community is not a retail money orientated environment which is why Pharmacists as also employed as managers with no business qualifications to save money...will never change

Comment

• snaily
              Brilliant Member
              • Sep 2014

I moved from community to hospital around 3 years ago, as I was only getting £8.50 an hour, I have never looked back, I know get around £11 an hour and the work is much more enjoyable, you work on the wards meeting the patients talking to them about there meds, and ordering if you haven't brought any in, plus also working in the dispensary.
              I'm sure you would love it if you ever get the chance to move and you are much more appreciated, you can also progress up to become a checking technician, and move up bands if a position becomes available.
              Last edited by snaily; 24, August 2020, 07:24 AM.

Comment

• johnep
                • Nov 2006

Possibly into general management as well. With a very high salary.
                Johnep

Comment

• Bmessy
                  First Time Poster
                  • Jun 2020

Average hourly rate for a PCN pharmacy technician? Hourly rates advertised on websites seem to be considerably higher than my experience.

Comment

• johnep
                    • Nov 2006

Retail, hospital, or GP surgery?
                    Retail will pay a pittance above minimum wage. Many retailers do not want people to go for any qualification. Same principle as employers in service did not want their servants to learn to read etc. They might leave for a better job and then you have the bother of finding a replacement.
                    johnep

Comment

• Jen_here
                      Upright and Smiling
                      • Jan 2017

Shop around. I'm an ACT but I'm on £16 an hour. It's more if you locum but I found I was chasing my wages each time.

Comment

Working...
                      X