No announcement yet.

I've just started the NVQ3 technician course and need a little advice please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've just started the NVQ3 technician course and need a little advice please

Hi I'm on to module 3 and have a question on the assessment question regarding question 3 on the final assessment. I'm not sure if this is a fictional atom or I'm just not getting it as what I thought was that this atom was Aluminium but the I thought the atom number was 14 and the mass was 27 can anyone give me advice please?

atomic mass is the sum of protons and neutrons and the number of protons is the same as the number of electrons.

Comment

Yeah that's what I thought but I'm unsure the question is based on an actual atom or not as the answer I got was 14 but when looking on the table I thought aluminium was the metal, I'm not sure if the question should be the number of protons is 13 not the number of neutrons...

Comment

The rule is that protons and electrons must be equal, the question asks how many electrons? If we know the atomic mass is 27, and there are 13 neutrons, then there must be 14 protons (protons and neutrons are found in the nucleus, and their total is the mass). If there are 14 protons there will be 14 electrons

Comment

Thank you bluesand4, I've completed this module now our pre reg was a chemistry teacher so explained it all for me!

Comment

Aw good to hear

Comment

Working...
            X