Accuracy checking dispensing assistant

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Accuracy checking dispensing assistant

I didn't even know that was a thing, is it within the protected title regulations to practice as an act but be unregistered? Someone I know is after an act job at my pharmacy, I know they aren't a technician or nvq 3 qualified, but upon researching it buttercups offers an accuracy checking course for nvq 2 dispensing assistants. I'm confused as to why I blood sweat and teared myself through three years of coursework an exams for apparently no reason. Anyone have experience with this course? Or this area of protected titles? I feel like it means nothing to be a technician now, apart from my nice gold badge.

Originally posted by hazeleyes View Post
    I didn't even know that was a thing, is it within the protected title regulations to practice as an act but be unregistered? Someone I know is after an act job at my pharmacy, I know they aren't a technician or nvq 3 qualified, but upon researching it buttercups offers an accuracy checking course for nvq 2 dispensing assistants. I'm confused as to why I blood sweat and teared myself through three years of coursework an exams for apparently no reason. Anyone have experience with this course? Or this area of protected titles? I feel like it means nothing to be a technician now, apart from my nice gold badge.
    The title is perfectly legal as it does not say technician so they do not need to be one. I have seen similar titles in hospital pharmacies where they do their own training and it is legal too. There is always someone willing to do it easier and cheaper. The course you mention is more attractive to employers as it would cost them less than training a Technician and having to pay the annual retention fees!

Comment

It is not a regulated, registered profession and if an adverse incident occurred it would be difficult to justify putting patients at increased risk to save on costs. I wonder how insurers would react under such circumstances?

Comment

On social media they do call themself 'pharmacy technician at xxxx' but that aside, the gphc guidance on the protected titles says you don't have to call yourself a technician to break the rules, ie if I didn't renew my registration but carried on with my same job roles even if I didn't call myself technician I would be working in that capacity and breaking the law. If this person is doing my job exactly is that not the same? As far as I see if they make a mistake it's on the RP, whereas the RP is protected with an ACT, who have their own insurance too.

Comment

Working...
        X