Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gentamicin would?

pharmacokinetic changes include:

gentamicin elimination (increase or decrease?), gentimicin volume of distribution willl (decrease or increase?)

thanks,
    Jeff
    if you want to give me a source i will go find it as well

Re: Gentamicin would?

Whats the question?

Comment

sorry the gustion is if one was to take this drug what would happen?

Comment

you might not have an infection any more.

Comment

I understand gentamycin is toxic and mainly used topically. rather like neomycin.
          johnep

Comment

sorry my fault. please pick what would happen..increase or decrease.

pharmacokinetic changes after consumed include:

gentamicin elimination (increase or decrease?), gentimicin volume of distribution willl (decrease or increase?)

Comment

Originally posted by jeffradd View Post
              pharmacokinetic changes include:

thanks,
              Jeff
              if you want to give me a source i will go find it as well

Elimination is mostly by kidney filtration, so any drug slowing that down will decrease elimination and extend the half life, as would poor kidney function.

Gentamicin, along with the rest of the aminoglycosides have known toxicity potential and are usually not the first choice. (neurotoxicity and ototoxicity)

The scientifically curious can have a look at the UK-SPC available at...
              The electronic Medicines Compendium

This might also help.
              Pharmacodynamics of Gentamicin

Google works for me - every time.
              47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
              2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
              How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

So Pharmanaut,

then from your post. you are saying

the above scenario would occur with a woman with chronic renal insafficiency with edema. after taking the drug we would expect....

as gentamicin elimination ( decreases?), gentimicin volume of distribution willl (increases?)

right???

Comment

What on earth do you want to know for. Gentamycin would be way down on anyones list of antibiotics. Not even sure if available for injection or oral use.
                  johnep

Comment

oh,,funny..dont worry im a student doing some research. this is not a functional question. i should have said that. i am not a pharmacist nor am i in pharm school nor do i plan on taking the drug or reomending it to anyone.

Comment

Originally posted by johnep View Post
                      What on earth do you want to know for. Gentamycin would be way down on anyones list of antibiotics. Not even sure if available for injection or oral use.
                      johnep
                      Genatmicin is used quite frequently in hospital. Intravenous and requires monitoring.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffradd View Post
                        So Pharmanaut,

then from your post. you are saying

the above scenario would occur with a woman with chronic renal insafficiency with edema. after taking the drug we would expect....

as gentamicin elimination ( decreases?), gentimicin volume of distribution willl (increases?)

right???
                        That's about right.
                        However, you would take this into account before embarking on treatment and probably not choose gentamicin.
                        47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
                        2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
                        How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

I seem to remember Gentamycin being used for pseudomonas infections. What is it used for mainly these days.?
                          johnep

Comment

Working...
                          X