use of ACEi in chronic renal failure patients

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• use of ACEi in chronic renal failure patients

can anybody tell the details on the use of ACEi to treat HPT in renal failure patients (eg. when is its use beneficial, when to terminate treatment etc.)? if possible, can the reference be stated? thanks.

Originally posted by ykw
    can anybody tell the details on the use of ACEi to treat HPT in renal failure patients (eg. when is its use beneficial, when to terminate treatment etc.)? if possible, can the reference be stated? thanks.
    Are you trying to get us to do your homework for you????

Lively debate is encouraged but please respect the opinions and feelings of others.
    Please help keep the forum vibrant by spreading the work to friends and colleagues via word of mouth or social media.
    Thank you for contributing to this site.

Comment

certainly makes me upset to see such commend. i had done reading on it and want to confirm its usage. JNC VII gulideline stated ACEi use in controlling HPT in the compelling indication of chronic renal failure. however, ACEi has harmful effects towards the kidney. the practice sometimes is that when the patient's renal function further deterioated or approaching end stage, doctors will stop ACEi or not use ACEi on CRF patients. is it that: should creatinine clearance decreases 20-30% or hyperkalemia develop, treatment with ACEi is to be stopped? thanks

Comment

Sorry, didn't mean to upset you..........
        Lively debate is encouraged but please respect the opinions and feelings of others.
        Please help keep the forum vibrant by spreading the work to friends and colleagues via word of mouth or social media.
        Thank you for contributing to this site.

Comment

it's ok

Comment

It seems that ACEI such as Captopril is able to reduce the protein in the urine.
            mail: xiongliang0#gmail.com

Comment

Re: use of ACEi in chronic renal failure patients

ACE inhibitors are used in CRF pts. The important question(s) to ask are: 1) what is the extent of the chronic renal failure (i.e. what stage are they?) 2) do they have other compelling indications for an ACE (i.e. diabetes mellitus or coronary artery disease/LVD, microalbuminuria). I think the general consensus by our nephrology dept is that in most cases the benefit outweighs the risk. You probably do not want to start an ACE in someone who's SCr is >2.0. All ACEs or ARBs can potentially increase the SCr when started or titrated and this may persist for a couple of months. A 30% increase or less is considered clinically acceptable. Beyond this, stop the ACE/ARB. If the pt also has proteinuria, there is an abundance of evidence to support using these to prevent progression. If the pt has CRF w/o HTN (which is almost never the case), you can start a very low dose ACE for the renal protective benefit. The other concern with renal dysfunction would, of course, be the potential for hyperkalemia as well as above reason. So this would need to be monitored. If a pt is started on this and the SCr elevates markedly (i.e. above 30%), one would have to rule out renal artery stenosis.

Comment

Working...
              X