Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which Uni Should I Go For (Clinical Pharmacy Qualification)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Uni Should I Go For (Clinical Pharmacy Qualification)?

for many years I have been interested in applying for a clinical pharmacy qualification, however due to reasons (namely employers refusing to give me a friggin reference) I was unable to do so. I am however in a position where I can finally apply for a clinical pharmacy course but am unsure of which uni(s) to apply to.

Personally I want to do distance learning as it fits in with my work:life balance better, however if I do need to commute, I would be looking for somewhere within close proximity of Bedfordshire / Hertfordshire / London. Also do any RG unis do this qualification (if so, which ones)?

thanks.

If you employers are stopping you from doing diploma - my question to you would be why are you even working for them. If you are not permanent pharmacist and are a Locum then did you try hard/enough to get reference

Also there are hundreds of university offering the course so could have approached all of them if you really wanted to

Going back to the question - it all depends what your aim of the diploma is - is it worth the piece of paper possibly not as IP is more desired than a diploma at this moment of time - could it lead to more opportunities with diploma possibly but very hard to quantify jobs that require it and depends what sector you going to go and work in

The other aspect is if you are within community background then would look at pharmacy integration funds and see if you are eligible

In terms of university very hard to tell and by the response level of this forum you will find it hard to get that information from here

Comment

Originally posted by HI2013 View Post
      If you employers are stopping you from doing diploma - my question to you would be why are you even working for them. If you are not permanent pharmacist and are a Locum then did you try hard/enough to get reference

Also there are hundreds of university offering the course so could have approached all of them if you really wanted to

Going back to the question - it all depends what your aim of the diploma is - is it worth the piece of paper possibly not as IP is more desired than a diploma at this moment of time - could it lead to more opportunities with diploma possibly but very hard to quantify jobs that require it and depends what sector you going to go and work in

The other aspect is if you are within community background then would look at pharmacy integration funds and see if you are eligible

In terms of university very hard to tell and by the response level of this forum you will find it hard to get that information from here
      the main reason I was working for them was because there was no other work going around for many years after graduation (and being unable to move due to reasons I refuse to divulge here) / the few jobs I got interviewed for, I either blew or I aced them but had to compete against pharmacists with 10+ years of experience. My previous experience, was literally locum work for Large Pharmacy chains who I used to / currently locum for. Fortunately, I now have a permanent position where I can get a reference / evidence I work 16+ hours a week.
      IP course is obviously a major area of interest however I have been unable to find any GP practices / hospitals which are willing to accomodate me. The main reason for me wanting to apply for the diploma is because you can integrate the IP course into it (thereby potentially boosting prospects if your from a community background). with the pharmacist integration fund, the place I work at, due to multiple people signing for the course and then dashing (who can blame them) have some annoying policy where they will support me applying for a fully funded place if a) I work there for at least a year (I have only been there for less than 3 months) and b) if I am willing to sign a 2 year exclusivity contract where should I choose to work for someone else, they can penalise me (therefore im self-funding as I dont want to be tied down).

as it stands, my managers have suggested keele and de montford, however I think Bath looks interesting (personally I want to go for an RG uni in case I want abroad in the future- bath is interesting as you can go london instead of dorset for workshops).

Comment

Oh ok I was not aware of your situation. Look what is possible for you and how many days are required at university - as I am not sure if you will get paid for going to university, some will require 0 days, others once a week/month, others just couple of days in a year. See which suits your life better and go with it - personally I don't really look at reputation of university as diploma is a diploma, I would personally go with what fits best with my life and work commitments

I can see why your employers will be worried but not sure what advantage they would get as you will be funding the course yourself or whether the funding comes from the pharmacy integration funds. I just don't understand as you going to the course regardless.. However, if it is causing issue then would just fund it yourself and then at same time see if there are any job opportunities out there - these days if I was working in community pharmacy and had a new job offer I would only agree to 4 weeks notice period as loads of opportunities these days and once you tie in with longer notice period becomes harder to leave. Also best to be upfront when joining a new job and tell them what you want from the start don't start the job and then say I want to do the course- don't ever think the ball is in their court at the end of the day you have as much power as them - ok you looking for a perm job but if you don't get it so what, you can locum and earn as much if not more without any commitments. Also think about the difficulties these companies have filling in roles in community pharmacy as many are moving to different sectors as not many people wanting to work in community these days - hence why multinationals target European pharmacist

Comment

Working...
        X